“Good value, great location, will use it again!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #46 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Paris, France
“Good value, great location, will use it again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Thumbs up: clean, easy access (no big fancy lobby), excellent room on 28th floor with an amazing view. Free WIFI also is convenient and mandatory nowadays. Friendly staff, a tiny issue with wifi was fixed quickly. Comfy bed I will return to Hotel 71 !!

Thumbs down: TV channels are old analog 4:3 style, doesnt look great on HD flat screen. Please switch to digital HD ..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Dominique R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay including our comfy beds in the guestrooms, friendly staff and views of the Chicago River.

You will be happy to hear that we are in the process of switching to HD channels in all of our guestrooms. I think you will enjoy watching TV the next time you visit.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon!

1,574 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I love hotels so much that I often do one-nighters in my own city. There was an attentive door man, a really quick check in. Had my girlfriend join me for the stay and we had dinner downstairs. Try the brussell sprouts they were awesome...

Easy no-fuss stay...friendly and warm!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear MeganPat,

Thank you leaving such a great review of Hotel 71! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and dinner in our restaurant, Hoyt's Chicago. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon for your next staycation.

manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at hotel 71 for 3 nights. The location was good and the view over the canal was nice. The parking was expensive $55 a day but it wasn't a shock as I had stayed in Chicago before. The rooms were smaller than I expected but had all the nesessarys. The staff were lovely and everything ran very smoothly. Overall, it's a nice hotel in a nice location at an ok price. It didn't exceed my expectations so I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear kingy1990,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, including our friendly staff, location in downtown Chicago and views of the Chicago River. I am surprised to hear that you thought our guestrooms were small, since we are known for having some of the largest in the city. We also have a number of lovely suites, if you are looking for more space.

I'm sorry to hear that you would not stay here again, especially since your review seems very positive overall. We welcome any additional feedback you have and I hope you will give us another chance to win you over.

Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel has an excellent location in downtown Chicago, very near Michigan Avenue. We had a very large and comfortable room, with a beautiful view of the river. Even though the furniture and carpet felt little dated, the overall experience was excellent. The location is unbeatable and the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast at Hoyt's (connected to the hotel) was excellent and staff there was very attentive. We will go back to this hotel in our future trips to Chicago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear PH2006,

Thank you for the great review! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay - from our location in downtown Chicago and views of the river, to our spacious guestrooms. I'm also glad you enjoyed the food and service in our restaurant Hoyt's Chicago.

You will be happy to hear that we are renovating our guestrooms. I think you will be very happy with the updated furniture and carpeting the next time you visit.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Des Moines Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here 3 nights for her 21 st birthday. They upgraded us to a junior suite. It was nice and roomy. The bed was comfortable. Our bathroom was very large and had a separate toilet, bath area from the shower. I was pleasantly surprised to see an attached area with a gym quality treadmill, desk and big flat screen tv. My only complaint at all was there was no room safe. I didn't really want to carry around all my cash with me in Chicago, but had no choice. Also check out the bar downstairs. They have terrific drinks. My fave was the " suckle sweet". The bartender we had was Ben and he was great. I would stay here again. The location is fabulous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear andmarDesMoinesIowa,

Thank you for the great review! I'm happy to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed our fitness suite and had a great time celebrating her 21st birthday. Thank you for the great comments about our restaurant Hoyt's Chicago. I will be sure to pass them along to Ben!

I apologize if you were unable to find your in-room safe, but I can assure you that we have one in each of our rooms for our guests convenience. It is typically inside the closet. If at any time you have a need for something, please do not hesitate to call our front desk.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is ideally postioned for visiting central Chicago. On check in we were upgraded to a river view room on the 18th floor (out of 37) and the view of the river and surrounding buildings was stunning.

The hotel provided a very good base for exploring the area with the Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park and Chicago Transport Authority (CTA) trains and buses all within easy walking distance.

All the hotel staff we dealt with were polite, friendly and efficient. The room itself was quiet, even with the odd emergency vehicle passing on the road below with siren blaring. I have no complaints with regard to the cleanliness of either the room or the hotel in general. The room was large as was the ensuite and the bed very comfortable. It was nice to have a coffee machine in the room but an option to have tea would have been appreciated. Strangely although toiletries were provided these did not include shower gel but did include soap bars.

We did not eat in the hotel but did use the bar which had a good variety of drinks at average prices for this grade of hotel. The bar staff were knowledgeable, chatty and efficient.

All in all I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will certainly stay there again if I stay in Chicago at any point in the future

Room Tip: Go for a high level river view room even if it does cost a little more. You will never tire of the e...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear IHW56,

Thank you for staying at Hotel 71 and for leaving us such a great review! I'm glad you enjoyed our location in downtown Chicago, views of the river and friendly staff. Thank you for recommending our hotel.

Regarding the questions you had about your stay, we do provide tea upon request. Simply call down to our front desk and they will be happy to deliver Keurig tea cups. Also, due to guest feedback, we will be upgrading our bath products to Gilchrist & Soames sometime next month. The new bath products will include shower gel. I think you will really enjoy these the next time you stay here.

Safe travels,

Steve Shern

Been to Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront? Share your experiences!