“Terrible experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Southgate, Michigan, United States
“Terrible experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Do not plan your wedding at Hotel 71. My brother and sister in law had their wedding at hotel 71 and yes we had a wonderful time at the wedding but the communication was awful. The event coordinator Chelsea at Hotel 71 was appalling. Not only was Chelsea not available while the wedding party was arriving and setting things up but she was giving tours of the ballroom while we were taking pictures. Chelsea left the wedding while we were eating dinner and did not make plans to ensure the wedding continued problem free. After the wedding my brother and sister in law did not leave with the remaining cake, champagne glasses, display lights that they brought themselves. I absolutely do NOT reccommend using Hotel 71 and most definitely do NOT work with Chelsea. While on their honeymoon they also ran 2 payments for the wedding which exceeded their credit cards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Katie O,

Thank you for your feedback. I was surprised by your comments regarding the wedding you attended. Chelsey, our catering manager, has been in touch with the bride since the occasion (both before and after you posted this review) and the bride has assured us that she was happy with the event and that everything was done to her satisfaction. I hope this will help ease your concerns.

To clarify a couple of our policies: The bride and groom asked to gain early access to the ballroom (before their contracted event time) to take photos with their family. Chelsey allowed them access as a courtesy, but let them know she had tours that were already scheduled and she would have to honor those appointments. During the event, Chelsey stayed past dinner and cake service, which is customary. She spoke to the bride before she left to make sure everything was taken care of.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us directly and we’d be happy to speak with you.

Steve Shern

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked a city view room here for 3 nights. When checking in the man at the front desk advised we had a city view room on the 11th floor. When we got to the room we soon saw that all we looked over was a dingey rooftop and also a lot of dumpsters. No mention was also made of major renovations going in between 9am-4pm until we saw a note in our room about it. When we phoned down to reception to ask about city view we were advised the room faces in the direction of the city....not good enough. It is not a city view just because it faces the direction of the city.. Which all you can see is a rooftop and dumpsters.

• Stayed February 2013
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Funtraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback about your stay. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room views. Normally our guests are very satisfied with our views and rate them among the best in the city.

Since we are in the heart of Downtown Chicago, the city-facing views will differ by floor. The views are more open on the higher floors and many of our guests enjoy these views. For the best views, I would highly suggest upgrading to a river view room. These rooms feature magnificent views of the Chicago River and Marina City from every floor.

I hope you will give us another chance to impress you. I think you will truly enjoy our river view rooms.

Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Hotel 71 is a very good boutique hotel in downtown Chicago. I stayed in one of their 'exercise' rooms for four nights, which consisted of the usual hotel fare plus a cross trainer in the corner of the room. The room was huge, modern and classy. Bathroom was beautiful.

The gym downstairs was also nice, and relatively large by hotel standards.

Bar food, especially the sandwiches, was extremely good and very high quality. Reuben sandwich is a must. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Luke W,

Thank you for staying at Hotel 71 and for taking the time to write such a great review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Fitness Suites, with a cross trainer in the adjacent parlor. We're lucky to have some of the largest guestrooms and guest baths in the city.

I'm also happy to hear that you liked our 24-hour Fitness Center and our restaurant, Hoyt's Chicago — especially the Reuben sandwich, one of our most popular items!

Thank you for recommending us and I hope you can come back to Hotel 71 soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Centrally located and well-maintained. Huge rooms with amazing views of the Chicago river. The attractive decor is modern but warm, contemporary without being too over-the-top. The staff was friendly and helpful, providing restaurant recommendations and clear directions. Valet parking is rather steep at $50/ day, but the rooms are a fantastic value if you book in advance. Hoyt's (the hotel restaurant) is better for dinner/lunch/snacks than breakfast, but with so many world-class restaurants within walking distance, there's little reason to eat there. The hotel was a clean, comfortable refuge after meandering around the city all day. Kick back with a glass of wine, gaze upon the river from above - rinse and repeat. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book way in advance and spring for the Deluxe River View. It was wonderful, and still a fair bargai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear yeahwrite (great username!),

Thank you staying at Hotel 71 and for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel! We truly appreciate all of your nice comments about Hotel 71, from our location and views, to our guest rooms and "friendly and helpful" staff. I hope you will be able to visit again soon. I'll be sure to pass along your great feedback to the rest of our staff.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

First off, Amanda at the Front Desk was absolutely, positively AMAZING!!! She did everything right and more. My friend and I arrived there and we were exhausted from traveling and she understood that. We also called down to ask for recommendations and although it is difficult to recommend as everyone has their own taste when it comes to food. My friend LOVED her restaurant recommendation. Good job Amanda!

As for the room, it was quiet, bed was comfortable and the bathroom was modern and spacious. Housekeeping was also great and quickly brought toiletries we didn't have/forgot to bring.

Getting there wasn't too difficult as you take the Blue Line from the airport, get off the Clark and Lake exit - walk one block to Wacker, take a right and walk 3 blocks. You'll see it on the corner there.

My only probably was like the other person stated, WiFi was pretty weak.

I personally as well as my friend were overly pleased and grateful for Amanda and the rest of the staff. Thank you and I will be looking forward to our next stay at Hotel 71 when in Chicago.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Xcitado,

Thank you for staying at Hotel 71 and for taking the time to write such a great review. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience at Hotel 71 and that you had such great things to say about our Front Desk and Housekeeping staff. I'll be sure to pass along your kind words to Amanda and the rest of our team.

As you mentioned, Hotel 71 is very easy to get to from O'Hare. I'm glad you were able to use Chicago's public transportation from the airport.

Regarding the complimentary Wi-Fi, I appreciate your feedback and want you to know we will strive to make improvements for our guests.

I hope you will be able to visit again soon. We truly appreciate you choosing Hotel 71.

Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hotel 71 is a smallish, stylish hotel located at the ultimate Chicago location – corner of Wacker and Michigan Avenue I have been staying at this hotel for years now, and I like it. It is trendy, but not too trendy, and I like the service. Be warned that the Wifi, though free, is iffy, and the furnishings are comfortable and clean but somewhat strangely styled (particularly the chaise lounge, which channels Gertrude Stein’s literary salon). However, it is hard to beat the location for the price, and the rooms facing the river offer wonderful views.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Alice M,

Thank you for the positive review and for being a loyal guest to Hotel 71. It's great to hear that you've been coming here for years and still enjoy our hotel. We love being located at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive, placing our guests in the heart of downtown Chicago.

I'm sorry that you've been having problems with our complimentary Wi-Fi Internet service while traveling for business. For any future issues or business travel needs, please feel free to contact Melissa Moss, our Business Travel Sales Manager, at mmoss@wyndham.com. She will be happy to assist you.

In regard to the furnishings, we are currently undergoing a $30 million renovation which will include refreshing our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to take it into consideration. Hopefully you will enjoy our style even more the next time you visit!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I would like to say that the hotel was fantastic when we stayed there. Although I wish that the fantastic part stayed even after when we were gone :( when I lost a pair of shoes and trying to get it back. I called the next day when i notice a pair of shoes were missing. When I got tired of talking to the housing maintenance lady because I feel like it was going nowhere I asked to be transferred to management. The operator whom I called literally 4x kept transferring me back to maintenance knowing I want to talk to management. Then finally she transferred me to Kenny whom I know is not management. I still haven't got a call back and it's sad when I know for a fact that the shoes was in the room. And the answer they were giving me was "it might've been under the bed?" "We couldn't check because someone is check in in there right now" but my point is does that mean either the house keeping doesn't do their job right or someone is lying??? The thing is I wanted to do business with the hotel again but not when you accidentally left behind an item (and I know that I wasn't the first nor will I be last) and can't get it back.

• Stayed January 2013
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Emmadeline12,

Thank you for staying at Hotel 71 and rating your overall stay with 5 stars. I am sorry to hear that you had problems finding a pair of shoes that got left behind. I spoke to Kenny, our Director of Housekeeping (who is a part of our management team), and he informed me that this issue has already been resolved.

It appears that the shoes were wrapped up in the bed sheets and mistakenly got sent to our laundry facilities. As soon as you made us aware of the situation, we took immediate steps to locate your missing shoes. Unfortunately, we were not able to search the room right away since another guest was occupying it and had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. As soon as we were able to, our staff did a thorough search of the room. During this time, we were also in contact with the laundry facility. They performed their own search and discovered the shoes, which were brought back upon the quickest delivery. Kenny has already shipped the shoes back to you at our expense, but please let us know if you have any other problems. I do apologize for your calls being transferred incorrectly and the trouble you had connecting with Kenny. I understand how frustrating that must have been, but I can assure you that our staff has been trained to act quickly and professionally.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope this resolution was to your satisfaction and that you will stay with us again. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to reach out to Kenny or myself at insiderhotel71@wyndham.com.

Steve Shern

Been to Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront? Share your experiences!