“Great Views” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Bend, Oregon, United States
“Great Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Despite getting lost trying to get to this hotel thanks to iPhone's lousy Maps app, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Big rooms with great views of the river, close to Cafe Intelligentsia, and a nice little parking area just past the hotel to save from the $50/night valet parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Jason R,

Thank you for the nice review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, even though your iPhone tried to prevent you from getting here (I was personally very excited when Google Maps came out with their iPhone 5 app).

I'm glad you enjoyed our spectacular views and the size of your guestroom. We have some of the largest guestrooms in the city!

I hope you will be able to visit again soon, for business or leisure.

Steve Shern

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a great option if you need to stay in Chicago... the location is extremelly great close to restaurants, malls, taxis available 24/7. The rates are great and the personal friendly and cooperative....river view is outstanding and the rooms are clean and with good space. This is my firtst option and recomendation to anyone traveling to Chicago.

Room Tip: RIver View... a couple of dollars more but it great!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear HAPKIDOMAN,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of the hotel and our staff. It's great to hear that you liked your guestroom and the amazing views we have of the Chicago River.

I'm proud to hear that we're your first choice when you stay in Chicago. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and family. I hope you can visit again soon.

apulia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel has a great location, the staff is really helpfull, the rooms are large though the one i was living was a bit. In need of some renovation. From the top floor (above 30th floor ) the view is amazing. better to get a room with river view. Over all I suggest this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room that were recently renovated
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear ariete1964,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel 71 and for recommending our hotel. I'm glad to see that you really enjoyed our location and views, and found our staff to be helpful. We pride ourselves on having a friendly and accommodating staff.

In terms of renovation, we are actually updating our guestroom product. I think that you will be very happy with your guestroom the next time you stay with us.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

In full disclosure, this is the first hotel to ever give me an upgrade to a suite, that was much appreciated (I think the closet space in my room put together was bigger than the size of the hotel room I had in New York City in October). The room was really comfortable and I slept well. The hotel's location on Wacker, just off the Magnificent Mile and not far from so many other Chicago sites, was perfect. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was clean (though I noticed some wear & tear in the bathroom, like a rip in the ceiling and frayed towels).

The hotel seems to be in a transitional mode from a typical legacy style hotel to something more like The W. The room was a mix of updated technology in the tvs, clocks, and coffee makers, but the furniture was still a bit old school. The front of the building and lobby area were more updated than the rooms.

I will note that I have no knowledge of the parking situation. I used a car service to get to and from the airport. The rest of the time I was basically on foot, though I did use a taxi to get to the Art Institute of Chicago cause it was raining (it was a short ride).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just spent a week at hotel 71. We arrived on a Sunday evening and as soon as the cab pulled up there was someone to carry in our bags. Check in was quick and all of the front desk agents were very helpful and friendly. The rooms are large and warm with great decor. The views from any side are absolutely amazing! All of our room requests were met and our stay was very comfortable. The location is absolutely fantastic with easy access to all of the major sites. We were able to walk to lots or grab the subway with a stop nearby. The room service was quick and delicious and the restaurant downstairs is great. Haven't travelled substantially through Europe and Canada and working in hospitality I would highly recommend hotel 71 to anyone travelling to Chicago. You cannot beat the location or the views!! Thank you for a fantastic per holiday stay hotel 71!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My friend and I were on a random road trip from Toronto Canada, and we wound up in Chicago. Not having researched any hotels in the city prior to leaving, once we arrived in Chicago we were very tired and anxious to find a place to sleep for the night. After a quick drive around the main section of downtown, we chose Hotel 71.

When you walk into the lobby, it definitely gives off a great impression. The concierge desk is a really funky mosaic of lighted tiles, and it all looks very posh. Friendly and helpful staff, no complaints. The gentleman who helped us with our room also recommended some great party spots where all the action is. So my friend and I were very pleased with this.

Upon arrival to our room, again great impression. Very large space, double sink + separate area for shower/bathtub. The linens were clean and the queen beds, deliciously comfortable. There was also a desk and a lounger chair (though I do question the cleanliness of this chair, because doubtless the cleaning staff are doing upholstery shampooing daily) + flatscreen TV. Keurig + safe to store our belongings. The view was also spectacular. As far as our room and the service goes, I have nothing negative to say.

The only downside was the valet parking. $40 to park my car overnight is absolutely ridiculous. I feel like valet parking has its perks, in terms of not having to leave my car in an unattended lot. It gave me peace of mind. But at the same time, charging that much is clearly taking advantage for that simple fact. The hotel knows people will feel better valet parking their car, so they can charge whatever they please and people will still use the service. There is no need, considering the hotel room is pricey in itself.

Overall, I would recommend Hotel 71 to travellers. The pros outweigh the cons. But I do feel that if you are more budget oriented, with a little research, you can definitely find better value for your money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors to get a better view of the city at night. It is beautifu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wacker st. cross downtown chicago, the hotel is between Michigan Avenue and State.... the best location you can find. Is sort of expensive rate per night, but the hotel is clean, big rooms and the crew are nice and helpful. Highly recommended...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront? Share your experiences!