“Great location, clean and comfortable.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #49 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location, clean and comfortable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at Hotel 71 for a convention. My 10th floor room was very spacious- chaise lounger by the TV was a nice touch, 2 firmly comfortable queen beds, desk and bureau. Free wifi worked fine. Huge bathroom with a large rain head shower plus a separate tub- too bad it was not a jacuzzi. Water pressure and temperature were excellent. I never heard any noise from adjacent rooms/halls or any street noise. The location on Wacker Drive is superb- a short walk to the Magnificent Mile and eqally easy to access the transit system at the Loop. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the river view may be quieter. It never hurts to ask about an upgrade.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

1,669 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Katsdorf, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here during the PackExpo in McCromick Plaza and got a room on the 36th floor with a wonderful view to the Chicago river. The room was clean, the bathroom too. A radio-clock with iPhone dock charged my phone and in a small business corner I had plenty of space for my notebook. The staff is friendly and car-parking is very convenient at the hotel-own garage directly beside the main entrance.

Room Tip: riverside view, the higher - the better!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pelham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Decent high rise hotel. Nothing too fancy. Outside looks a little plain with slightly faded mirrored glass. Large room - clean - quiet - comfortable bed. Nicely appointed. Nice bathroom - big tub. Not overpriced. Good TV, wifi, desk. pretty good value. Paid extra for river view and was happy I did - I was on 37th floor - hotel is on a bend in river so you can look down the river and see several bridges. Good location across the river from Trump Tower. Nice little lobby bar - a bit plain but okay. I would return.

Room Tip: Ask for river view. Costs about 15.00 more per night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Moncton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel 71 for 3 nights in August 2012 while attending the Lollapalooza music festival. We stayed in 2 different rooms throughout our stay.

Pros:
1.The Hotel was clean
2. Staff were superb.
3. Location!

Cons:
1. The restaurant was disappointing, not worth eating here.
2. Noise. Our first 2 nights we were in a room that was located next to the elevators, street view. There was noise all night of people coming and going to and from the elevators; also our neighbours were up partying all night and we heard it all. I finally went down at 4am on our second night to ask if we could change rooms. The front desk was very accommodating, upgrading us to the best room they had available. We spent our last night on the 36th floor, in a corner room facing the river. This room was huge, and the view was amazing.

Overall we would stay again, but will make sure to request a room far away from the elevators.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators are very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for a business meeting. At the last minute, I upgraded my room to a fitness suite with a treadmill. The room was huge, especially the beautiful bathroom. The entryway had a wetbar with refrigerator. I didn't find any plates, wine glasses, etc., but room service brought them upon request.

The bedroom itself was large, with a very comfortable king-size bed and excellent pillows. There was also a chaise lounge, which was great for a solo traveler, but made it impossible to invite my friends in for a drink or snack, to take advantage of the fabulous wetbar. The treadmill was a top-of-the-line machine in a separate room, facing the window and a TV. However, the TV was too low to watch, and the view was terrible. I was a bit disappointed after hearing about the amazing views, but obviously, with its city location, not every room can have a view. (I wasn't disappointed at all with the treadmill itself, and I really enjoyed the privacy while working out!)

I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. In fact, I miss it already! This will be my hotel of choice in Chicago from now on.

The location is very convenient, only about 2 blocks from the State and Lake stop of the Orange line. Be warned, though: there is no escalator or elevator to the elevated tracks, so be prepared to carry your bags up and down the steps.

By the way, I found a great cheese and wine store--Pastoral Artisan Cheese--about a block away. Highly recommended for stocking your wetbar!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lake Benton, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel 71 for work and I thought it was wonderful. My room was on the corner and I had LARGE windows all the way along the outside. I was on the 15th floor and had a spectacular view of the Chicago River. The room itself was very nice. My favorite part was the Kurig that they had in the bathroom! I also had breakfast at the hotel one morning and the food was delicious. I would say that it was a little over priced, but it was very good!

Room Tip: Make sure your room faces the river. It's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our room at Hotel 71 was perfect! We had a corner room with windows on two walls of the room overlooking the river - absolutely beautiful. The room had more than enough space to comfortably accommodate three adults. Beds were queen size and very comfortable (I'm quite picky and get back and hip pain if I sleep in a bed that's too firm. I had absolutely no pain after sleeping on these beds for three nights.) Housekeeping always had our room clean by the time we got back at around 5pm, and never bothered us when we had our 'do not disturb' sign up. They always brought us more coffee and towels when we requested extra. The bathrooms were also spacious and had enough counter space for our flat irons, make-up, etc. My sister is very picky about bathrooms and she was very happy with this one. We were on the 25th floor and didn't hear any traffic during the night; just the occasional siren.

The location was perfectly set in the middle of downtown Chicago. We walked to Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier (about a mile away), Millennium Park, Art Institute, and many restaurants in the area.

We didn't try the hotel restaurant or room service so I can't comment on those. But there is a delicious Italian restaurant a few doors down with great thin crust pizza and fantastic tiramisu.

I've stayed at a few other hotels in downtown Chicago, but I absolutely plan to stay at Hotel 71 next time I'm there!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on higher floors have the best views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront? Share your experiences!