“Perfect play to stay when your furnace dies” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown

You added Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
American Girl Special
Ranked #71 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect play to stay when your furnace dies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We live in Chicago, and don't know all that much about local hotels. Anyway, when our furnace died on a 5 degree day, I surfed around for a hotel and came upon the positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. I really liked this hotel as well -- skip the expensive valet and parking lot -- you can park kitty corner from the hotel in a surface lot for much less.

Other than that, everything was stellar. Immaculate room, good-smelling toiletries, comfortable beds. I really appreciated the fact that our room was divided into two separate rooms, with a TV in each so we could watch as the kids slumbered. The pool area was well-maintained and the free breakfast was pretty sumptuous -- full hot buffet, omelettes to order, plus the usual cereal, fruit, juice, coffee options. The kids swam for 3 hours and had the time of their lives.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

We always enjoy staying at Embassy Suites. The free breakfasts are amazing and include almost every breakfast item that you can think of. In the evening there is a free Manager's Reception with snacks (no hot snacks- just chips and dips) and drinks (beer, wine, and rail drinks). The lines for both of these were very very long. Get to both early! The location was great- a few short blocks to all the sites on Michigan Ave, a half block from the Weber Grill restaurant, and a few steps to Starbucks. The pool and hot tub were very small and constantly filled with kids, so we didn't swim. The rooms were recently renovated and beautiful. We had a nice sitting area with TV separated from the bedroom with another TV. The double beds were a bit small to share and the bathroom was quite small as well. All staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. We did unfortunately have some issues with loud neighbors- the walls are not very sound proof. When the neighbors flushed their toilet it would wake us all up! All things said we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
ESChicagoDowntown, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear pcwilson9,

Thank you for review. I'm happy to hear that you approve of our newly renovated suites! We are very excited that our renovation is complete and all of our guest suites have new furnishings and fixtures. I will let the chef know that you enjoy his breakfast as well.

Come back and visit us this summer!

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My 3 friends and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Feb 9th-12th. I booked this room for the size and so glad that i did. With 4 women staying in one room it was nice to have two regular sinks, one in bathroom and one outside and one sink near the microwave and frig. I liked that you could close the bedroom door if someone wanted to sleep and still be able to stay up and watch tv in the other room. Large living room with pullout couch, chair and desk. Very nice huge included breakfast buffet every morning. You are close to the navy pier, millineum park. You are about 4-5 blocks away from the subway, Grand Red. It wasn't too bad walking. very nice subway system. gets you anywhere you need to go. We defintley stay here again if I came back to Chicago.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Our family decided to spend a night in Chicago on the way to the relatives for Christmas. This will be a new tradition for us now since we had so much fun! The Embassy Suites is perfectly located a few blocks from Michigan Ave. where we spent most of our time shopping and adoring the window art and lights on the trees.

They were doing some much needed major renovating while we were there, but never did it seem noisy or dusty. Our room was nice but a little small, as is typical for big city hotel rooms. And heating was a little off. It only came through the bedroom, so we left our door open so the kids on the pull out couch would get some heat too. That's the only reason I didn't give the rooms all five stars. There were t.v.'s in both the bedroom and family room area. That was a nice touch.

The pool was nice but a bit small, and it was packed with kids! There was also a nice sized whirlpool.

Breakfast was fabulous. But get there early, as the late arrivals end up waiting in a huge line that wraps around the hotel! The omelet guys were great!

Also, I'll note how nice the staff were. We often book our hotels on priceline (which we did and got this hotel- how lucky!) and never know what kind of service we will get because of that. But I was pleased that we got very good service and I would book at this hotel next year because of our good experience here.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We chose the hotel because of its ideal location, suites and pool. My family and I walked to Michigan Ave (5 minutes), Navy Pier (30 minutes on foot; 10 minutes by bus); Water Tower (15 minutes with children), and was a 5 minute bus ride from the loop. The suite was jsut the right size for our family of 4, although we would have liked slightly larger beds (they were true doubles).
The breaksfast was generous, although crowded, and the kids loved the cookies and cider in the lobby.
The pool was clean.
The staff was courteous and helpful.
We did not get a chance to see the renovated rooms, but our non-renovated room was fine, so I'm sure the renovated ones are very nice. I appreciated the lack of noise even though it was clear that renovations were occuring on the upper floors.
We will absolutely stay here again for another family 'staycation'

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
ESChicagoDowntown, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear Mamagab,

Thank you for the excellent review. I look forward to welcoming you back for your next staycation soon into a newly renovated suite. All of our suites will be renovated by the end of February.

I'll let the chef know that your kids were impressed with the cookies and cider!

See you soon,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

Visited from the UK for Christmas and the New Year and the hotel really exceeded our expectations.
Breakfast was great, busy if you left it to late but not a huge problem. Could not believe how good the manager's reception was! Room was extremely clean with a great big comfy bed. Shower was powerful and fresh shampoo and conditioner was always supplied.

BUT, I had bought a new pair of pyjamas for my trip and they disappeared - I asked at reception three times (I thought they might have been taken when the bed sheets were changed by mistake), they rang housekeeping but each time I was just told 'nothing was found' - not a sorry!

Overall, apart from the missing pjs - a great hotel, would stay again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Birdyc3,

Happy New Year and thank you for staying with us. I appreciate your kind words and great review.

I aplogize that we did not locate your pajamas while you were still in town. I did check with our housekeeper and we do have a few pair that were located over the holidays. Please send a few details to ebuckley@embassysuiteschicago.com and I'll see if there's a match.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

My family has stayed at this Embassy Suites every Christmas {visit family/shop} for at least the last 20 years. I am now married with two young children and we still continue to come for Christmas. We love the room setup, the fabulous breakfast, the staff--everything about the Embassy Suites is great! One year we tried a different downtown hotel--that was the first and LAST time we strayed! The restaurant is fantastic and SO convenient with young kids--if one melts down, the room is right upstairs! Our kids love the waterfall/fountain in the lobby. So much so that we now put rolls of pennies in their Christmas stockings to ensure they have plenty of coins to toss in. I hope we continue this family tradition for many years to come!

Dear AbbyWarm,

Thank you for spending part of your Christmas with us! We're thrilled to be part of your holiday traditions. Send me a note when your ready to return and I will be happy to help with your reservations.

We look forward to seeing you next year if not sooner,

ebuckley@embassysuiteschicago.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown? Share your experiences!