“Great location, but lacking service & people skills” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown

You added Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
American Girl Special
Ranked #71 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
“Great location, but lacking service & people skills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in the Embassy Suites on State Street for a long weekend over Father's Day weekend, after having a Priceline bid accepted for the hotel. Upon check-in, the woman working the desk (I believe her name was Nelly) did not actually welcome us to the hotel or Chicago, except to say, "May I help you?" I am not for sure, but that was maybe the first time I have not been welcomed and thanked for staying in a hotel in Chicago. As our Priceline bid of $125 for each of 2 nights saved us over 50% of the advertised rate on the website (I checked the advertised rate as soon as our bid was accepted) we believe that they stuck us in one of their most uncomfortable and least desirable rooms. We stayed on the top floor in a corner room (#1329 I believe) that was not actually a suite with seating area, and was very small compared to the other suites on our floor. The room did not include a chair or sofa for sitting, which was not very comfortable. The bed was very comfortable, as we have found most beds in the Hilton chain of hotels are more comfortable than other chains. The shower in the bathroom was one of the smallest that we have experienced in any hotel in any location. This shower looked as if it was made for an RV and not for any hotel room. The fitness room had a good selection of workout equipment and plenty of towels for after the workout, but we did not try out the pool.

Saturday morning, the breakfast buffet appeared to be a very nice set up, with cooked to order eggs and omelets, but that was all an appearance. The bacon, sausage, potatoes, and pancakes were all below room temperature. Settling for an omelet, I asked for an all-meat with cheese, and when the gentleman cooking it served it up, he said, "Mushroom with extra cheese!" I did not make a move toward the plate, and he said again, "Mushroom with extra cheese?!" I then told him that I had ordered an all-meat omelet, and he shouted back, "That is what I said!" I responded, "No, you said mushroom with extra cheese." The cook said, "I did not." At that point the man behind me in line (who I did not know) said, "Yes you did. Neither one of us ordered anything with mushrooms." At this point the cook took the spatula and cut into the omelet to examine the contents, and then tried to cover up by saying, "I was only playing. It is all-meat. Enjoy!" At this point, I wish my wife and I had walked down the street to a Corner Bakery!

Upon finishing our meal, I went to the front desk to ask if there was any way to move our room to a suite, I was told that there was no way that was possible, as they were completely booked for the evening--which was a shock to us, as we were in and out of the hotel multiple times the previous night, and there were TONS of darkened rooms facing the indoor atrium area and again on Saturday evening upon returning from the theater the rooms were still darkened! Saturday evening, upon returning pretty late from the theater, we found that our air-conditioning unit had stopped working, and the room was very warm. At that point, we did not feel like trying to move rooms at such a late-hour, besides it would not have done us any good as we had been falsely told that they were all booked up.

The main positive for this Embassy Suites location is that it is in a tremendous location for easy access to anything you want in Chicago. Michigan Avenue with all of the shopping options is just a few streets east of the hotel, the Chicago River is a few streets south, and there is easy access to the subway system and the "el-train" as well. There are also tons of great dining options within easy walking distance to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing State Street but not a corner room, and avoid the breakfast bar!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Brought a group of ten people ages 16 through adult from Michigan to Chicago for dance master classes with several dance companies and stayed at Embassy Suites for 4 days.

Check in: Easy. Had requested early check in and our room was ready at 12:30 in the afternoon. Requested connecting suites and received that request as well. The connecting suites were fabulous since our group all wanted to hang out together when we were back in the rooms. *I will say that I had requested they remove the mini bar items but when we went in there were two large water bottles left that were for sale ($4 a bottle...um, no thanks).

Lobby: Nicely appointed and set up.

Breakfast: A great amenity. I'm sure that weekends are crowded but we were able to do both the hot buffet breakfast and the omelet station with very little to no wait. *Lots of selections but I will say that they may want to look into how they are heating their "hot" foods. It was really more like "kinda hot".

Pool/hot tub: Nice chaises to sit on, clean pool and hot tub, pool was cool but not bitter cold and hot tub was nice and hot. We enjoyed both.

Suites: Ten people in two double bed suites. Lots of room for 10 between the two rooms. Bath and rooms were clean. Found the tables in the living areas to be very convenient. Mini fridge, microwave worked fine. The double beds were comfy. *The pullout couch was NOT.

Sound in the rooms: *I had read about this in other reviews and thought to myself 'well, it IS Chicago, and it IS a hotel so there IS going to be noise, come on'. I have to say that it did become a bit of an issue for us. Not the noise coming from outside the windows like police cars/ambulances but the noise from inside the hotel. If you happen to get a noisy neighbor you can hear them through the vents. We must have been by a family with young kids as we were awakened very early several times by parents/kids activities. They were early risers and my group of mostly teenage girls were late to bed types. I'm sure it disturbed the family at night with the girls laughing when we got back late.

Service: The front desk, housekeeping, breakfast workers were all very pleasant and informative. We did not have a problem with housekeeping knocking on our doors when we were not ready for them (just put the little tag in the key slot) and the rooms were always clean when we came back to our room. They provided plenty of towels for a group of 10. Breakfast crew smiled, said good morning and/or hello and removed your tray for you after you were done eating. *I did utilize the concierge once and though I found him to be informative he was a tad, well, stuffy in his manner when I asked for clarification of something he said.

Location: Can't get much better. Close to the red line, Starbucks and many cost effective food options. Not far from shopping/sightseeing.

Check out: Again, easy. We had left our luggage with the bellman and when we came back from shopping before we left Chicago he had them to us very quickly.

Price: Well, there are of course some cheaper rates out there. However I was looking for location, amenities and safety so I felt this hotel was a good pick. A bit pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for.

We take an annual dance trip to Chicago and I would stay here again with a large group. My husband and I travel to Chicago a couple times a year as well and I would stay here in that instance as well.

Indianapolis, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Always a great chain, this was fantastic in every way except for the $55 valet parking. Excessive and rejected by my company. Food was great, close to a lot of things. also the ladies working the concierge desk were great

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here for five days during a business trip. Overall, the staff are very nice, but the hotel is a bit dated. I stayed on the 11th floor and had extremely poor water pressure. Additionally, neither the concierge or wake up call numbers answered each time I called. Instead, I needed to call reception and have them take care of my needs. Additionally, the one day I needed a cab to the airport, it took the porter more than half an hour to get one for me, making me extremely late. Then he was upset that I did not tip him for this poor service. That said, the rooms are spacious, with a living room that overlooks an indoor courtyard.Views are not exciting. I overlooked a parking garage.

Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just returned from a shopping weekend in Chicago and stayed at the Embassy Suites on State St. It is a great location, close to Michigan Avenue, Rush Street, and great restaurants. The free breakfast is the best I've ever seen. However, the chef at the omelet bar, Mike something. I asked a question which heard incorrectly and blew up at me telling me he can't hear back there and to speak up! Over the top reaction to a question about cheese. Just for the record, they only have cheddar cheese. They also have a free Happy Hour from 5-7. The suites are comfortable and large with a web bar and living room area. Beds were very comfortable.

I am planning another trip in November and will stay here but I'll avoid the omelet bar.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Predictable, clean and large enough, Embassy Suites offers a taste of the blandness of the suburbs right in the heart of Chiacgo. That's okay, if that's what you want. But at $500 a night, it seems like a lot of money for not much to recommend it.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Otsego, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was mine and my husband's second trip to Chicago; first time staying at the Embassy Suites in Chicago. I don't know why others are not recommending this place for couples. We had an amazing stay here.

Can't beat the location. We walked everywhere we went. It was within walking distance to Navy Pier, the Magnificant Mile, many restaurants...we even walked to the zoo (I wouldn't recommend doing that though - not only was it 90+ degrees that day, the walk is just too far. And we love to walk. Had we known, we would have taken a bus or the train). The only time we used another mode of transportation was to and from the airport. There are train stops very close, so that is convenient.

Our room was wonderful. It was clean, spacious, and tastefully decorated. We had more than enough room for the two of us and our luggage. We hardly used the living room (yes, I'm calling it a living room vs. a sitting area, it was big enough) or the dining room table. The bathroom was nice, just your standard bathroom. It was nice to have all that space in the room.

The manager's reception in the afternoons were exceptional. We've been to quite a few hotels that offer this, but this was by far the best. A good variety of snacks, an abundance of drinks, plenty of space to sit and enjoy, all included with your stay. How can you beat that?!

The breakfast was amazing. A huge selection of food, hot and cold items, juices, coffee, etc. Lots of places to sit and enjoy your breakfast.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown? Share your experiences!