“Fantastic Stay, Amazing Staff!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown

You added Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown to your Saves list
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
American Girl Special
Ranked #72 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
“Fantastic Stay, Amazing Staff!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic Chicago family vacation at this wonderful hotel! Perfect location, close to all the best attractions downtown. What really makes this hotel stand out to me was the phenomenal staff!!! From the smiling, helpful valets, to the friendly and fast front desk staff, helpful concierge, wonderful reception and breakfast chefs & servers, I really just cannot say enough about the employees of this hotel!!! My mom, sister and I visited with my 3 children for 3 days and loved it. The full breakfast was great and a huge timesaver when you are busy in the city. Clean, comfortable rooms and a lovely new pool. Very family friendly. Wonderful!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went up to Chicago for the weekend and decided to stay at Embassy for the location and amenities. The hotel was under renovation which I knew about, however, as a silver HH member they put me in a room on the 3rd floor directly over the construction area. The room was noisy too. Front desk staff was not helpful or friendly at check-out... Nobody asked me how my stay was at check out... I was told I had to move my truck by 3pm or they would charge me another $50 on top of the $100 I had already paid for the weekend. I stay in Chicago all the time at the CY Marriott Mag Mile and have never experienced anything like this... The only good thing about the stay was the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had at an Embassy.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I will try to stick to the facts however it was disappointment after disappointment this past weekend. My husband and I booked 4 rooms at the Embassy Suites to host family for our wedding reception weekend. We are also Platinum Members at this hotel chain, we travel a lot. We knew when we booked the rooms that the hotel was doing some ‘renovation’ work. The website and employee we spoke a month before we booked the 4 rooms assured us the majority of the construction and renovation would be completed by the time mid-February. Upon arrival on Thursday, there were school groups all of over the hotel. Only two of four elevators were working so it took about 10-15 mins to even get on an elevator (each elevator held about 6-7 people comfortably minus luggage). I don't mind taking the stairs, but its harder when you are 7 months pregnant. From there our ‘experience’ went on a downhill on a runaway train:

•The free breakfast, was literally next to a construction area. So the omelet station was four campfire burners and you got to smell the fumes from the construction while enjoying your breakfast.

•Thursday-Sunday, either only one or two of the elevators were functioning. It was about a 20-30 min wait for the elevator during the day.

•Since the elevator took so long, all of the guests had to take the stairs. Which would be fine if I was not 7 months pregnant!

•On Sunday after finally getting an elevator after 10 mins, my family and I were seating and waiting in the lobby to go to the airport with our luggage. A hotel employee comes over to us and says “we need everyone in the lobby to leave so we can take a photo.” I asked her “where can I sit then?” She says “Oh , just take the elevator to the second floor.” That is fine if I was not 7 months pregnant and had to wait 10-15 mins because you have one working elevator!

•After speaking to the hotel manager and another front desk employee, their response was
“Sorry, there’s nothing we can do." or " I don't know when the elevators will be working again."

We will never stay at the Embassy Suites in Downtown Chicago again. One of the worst experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ESChicagoDowntown, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear RoadTripper42,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel and thank you very much for selecting us for your wedding reception. I truly regret that you were disappointed and that we were not able to deliver the exceptional service you expected from us. As the final aspects of our extensive atrium renovation are nearly complete these types of inconveniences will come to an end. I hope you will give another chance to demonstrate our committment to service on your next visit to Chicago.

Ed Buckley
Egg Harbor WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Remember when Embassy Suites (and all it's previous iterations) came on line in the 80's? Everybody loved them, then over the last 30 years so many of the properties became run down, and there were half baked renovations and re-do's? Well, this property is an exception! Great renovation, top to bottom! Beautiful room, nice public spaces, incredible location! The only issue is that this is still a property that, due to the amenities, attracts a lot of families. Coupled with the open atrium design and parents that don't seem to care meant a constant cacophony of screaming and running children that could be heard throughout the property. So, nice place, but if you are planning on staying out late in Chi-town and sleeping in you might want to check out a quieter property. I will most likely stay here again, but not on a holiday weekend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Davison, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel is undergoing some renovations, but it was still quiet. The complimentary breakfast and the happy hour suffered, however, due to a lack of seating. Some of the staff that have been there when we have stayed in the past have moved on, and the new ones are not quite as friendly, but were never rude.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked a last-minute trip over the holiday weekend for a girl's night out with my daughter. The location is ultra-convenient to just about everything!! It's a short walk to the El station (which we rode from the suburbs), there's a grocery store across the street, and of course Michigan Ave is just 3 blocks away. The room was clean (with the exception of cloudy, food-specked drinking glasses and dark fingerprint smudges on the bedroom door). The manager's reception is a nice gesture, but we skipped it -- the lines for beverages can be long. The morning breakfast with made-to-order omelets is OUTSTANDING!! There is construction on the 2nd floor and it appeared only 2 of 4 elevators were working (so be prepared to wait -- or use the stairs). The doormen were friendly and made us feel welcomed. The pool and work-out rooms were nicely maintained. If we ever spend another night in Chicago to play "tourists", this will be our first pick. Thanks ESH!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Burbank, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I love the Embassy Suites Hotels!!! Best service, welcoming staff, reasonable prices, beautiful accomodations and they really know how to show their appreciation for paying customers!! Their rooms are alwyas fresh and clean as well as extremly comfortable. I will be booking again very soon!