“Pass on the hotel restaurant!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

You added Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   540 N Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #111 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
A TripAdvisor Member
“Pass on the hotel restaurant!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

We always stay here when we come to town. They used to have a wonderful steakhouse called, JW's. Great ambience, great food, great staff. Now, that is disappeared and they only have 1 restaurant called Ventosa's? Supposedly italian. The atmosphere is absolutely horrific. Way overpriced, service not in keeping with Marriott's usual style. I don't know why they at least didn't move this restaurant over to where JWs was - it at least had styl. This was pure "cardboard"!

• Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Turkish first
milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

Stayed at the hotel with my husband and two daughters for the Company Dance Convention. Overall, the hotel was fine. The room was nice - 40th floor - great view and comfortable beds. The convention space was clean and well staffed. There were problems with the elevators. It took at least 10 minutes to get an elevator. We were told that three of the six were broken which could have been the problem. Ended up taking the freight elevator to avoid the wait. Another problem is there is no cafe/restaurant on site. Now there are many restaurants easily within walking distance but when one is at a convention with children and there is only one hour to eat and waiting for an elevator eats up at least 10 minutes, it would be nice to be able to buy something quick and light. The staff was very friendly, especially our bellman - George. Housekeeping was a bit stingy with towels. I called to request extras and they brought up 4 wash cloths! I guess I had to specify bath towels. Valet Parking not recommended. Long lines at check out time and the turn around in front of the hotel is congested. Use the self park just down the street but be sure to get your ticket validated or you will pay $32 a day instead of $22. Have a great time in Chicago!!

• Stayed January 2006
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2006

This hotel felt like the big impersonal convention hotel it is. Noise from the hallways and the almost constant sirens from Michigan Avenue ruined my sleep. The rooms were very good with nice comfortable beds, but some soundproofing is in order. Service was good if cold. You can do better than this.

• Stayed December 2005
Philippines via Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2005

Perfect for shopping or touring around Chicago. The lobby is far too busy, even for the Marriott Platinum line. Service was dreadfully slow in the restaurants and room service. The elite lounge was closed on the weekends. It took them an hour to find my car. At one point, they told me they lost it. Then they charged me over $100 for the couple of days it was parked.

The rooms are small and the hallways very noisy. This location is NOT worth the price

• Stayed November 2005
frankfort ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

We stayed at the Marriott over Thanksgiving weekend. The hotel has one entrance on Michigan Ave and one entrance on Rush St. It is in a perfect location on the Magnificent Mile. You are in walking distance to the Navy Pier, Water Tower, Hancock Center, etc. If you are a walker, you can walk easily to the Loop, Rush Street restaurant and bars, Chicago Theater, Millenium Park, etc. Public transportation is easy. There is a Red Line train station very close on Grand Ave, there are free trolleys to the Navy Pier, and taxis are plentiful.

The hotel lobby was always packed with people hanging out in the lobby bar, which spills out into the entire lobby. Families were hanging in the lobby on couches, having cocktails, reading papers, and chatting at all hours!

Check in was easy. We got there at 10:00 AM and they had a room ready for us! The elevators were fast. The hallways smeeled of new carpet. The room was very nice with a new furniture smell. We had a King bed and fold out couch. No balcony, but the large window gave us a view of Michigan Ave and Lake Michigan. The bed was very comfortable. Overall we were very pleased.

The negatives: The elevators are VERY loud. It sounds like a subway train running under the hotel. In fact, that's what we thought the sound was at first. Then we realized... the trains don't run under the hotel that frequently!

The bathroom is very small.

We had a room service charge on our bill. We did not order room service! The front desk said someone must have signed the wrong room number! That's a trick I'll have to remember! Just sign the wrong room number?!? Hmmm.... How can the hotel let someone get away with this?

Someone tried to slide a key in our door repeatedly at 1:30 am trying to get in the room. It woke me up and I looked out the peephole. When I did the guy quickly slipped off down the hall.

Our rate for the holiday weekend was $229 per night and we used a $100 Marriott bonus bucks coupon.

Overall it was a nice stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2005
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

I stayed here for three nights during a conference that was also held at the hotel. I was a bit put off by the two separate check-in desks, one marked "Elite Guests" and the other for the common people. A front desk clerk at the "elite" desk quickly reacted to a line forming at the "common folk" desk and began to check in "commoners" so check-in was rather smooth.

When I arrived in my room, I was unable to get the television to work. I called the front desk and was told that the housekeeper probably knocked the plug out of the wall. I checked and, sure enough, the plug was indeed unplugged. (Two days later, the housekeeper again disconnected the TV.)

I soon discovered that the carpet on the floor of the closet was wet. An engineer responded immediately and assured me that the housekeeper had apparently spilled soapy water on the floor and failed to clean it up.

The bathroom had not been cleaned very thoroughly. A price sticker was stuck to the floor, hair was on the toiletries tray and in the bathtub, and at least one of the toiletry bottles had been opened and used. Clearly the housekeeping staff needs additional training and closer supervision.

The in-room directory of services and hotel signage listed two restaurants that had been closed permanently. When I asked the concierge for a dinner recommendation, she recommended the one remaining hotel restaurant and offered a discount coupon. The food was very good and the service attentive -- which I particularly appreciated as I was dining alone.

After a restful sleep in a very comfortable bed -- with the air conditioner cooling the room -- on my first night in the hotel, I suffered through a sleepless night on my second night, thanks to a very warm and very stuffy room and what I feared was a defective air conditioner. I called the front desk in the morning and was told by an unsympathetic clerk, "I wish you'd called earlier -- I would have told you to open the window." The clerk went on to explain that the hotel had turned off the air conditioning and turned on the heat. (The outside temperatures were in the high 40s at night and the 50s during the day.)

My efforts to lower the thermostat had succeeded only in generating more hot air. The clerk assured me that if the hotel got enough complaints, they would turn the air conditioning back on and turn off the heat.

The meeting rooms were quite comfortable -- one was even a little chilly -- so I was hopeful that the problem had been resolved. Unfortunately, when I returned to my room to change for dinner, I found that my room was even warmer and even more stuffy. I immediately called the front desk and was told -- again -- that the air conditioning system had been turned off and the heat turned on. The clerk sent up an engineer, who checked the air temperature (80 degrees!), opened the window and assured me the room would cool within 20 minutes. With the street noises (including fire engines responding to a major fire downtown) coming in through the open window, and the room temperature only slightly cooler, sleep was once again virtually impossible.

I would not recommend this hotel until and unless they address the heating and air conditioning issues.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2005

I just returned from an excellent stay at this Marriott. I was very satisfied with this hotel, as were my traveling companions. The hotel was packed to the gills with people and yet our room was very quiet. The beds were extremely comfortable. The staff was courteous and responsive -- providing extra amenities soon after they were requested. The view was fabulous. The room was clean. We had great luck with the valet parking as well. It was ideal for a weekend jaunt to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!