“Non-Existent Follow Up on Lost Item” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

You added Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   540 N Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #111 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Coal City, Illinois
“Non-Existent Follow Up on Lost Item”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The hotel itself was nice. It had an updated, modern lobby, but the rooms could use a bit of a refresher. It was pretty much your standard stay.

My disappointment stemmed from the lack of promised follow through on a pair of eyeglasses that I left in the room. Upon returning home, I had worn my contacts all day and wanted to change to my glasses. I realized that I had left my glasses on the floor next to the bed (I slept on the non-nightstand side). I immediately called and was transferred to a nice gentlemen who informed me that while no glasses were returned yet, but he would send someone up to the room to check. He took my information down and said they would call me later. I was never called. My sister called later that evening, around 6pm as she was leaving work from downtown and could have picked them up. She was informed that the room had not been cleaned yet, so nothing had been returned.

The next morning, I called again to see if they had been returned. The gentleman I spoke to, again very friendly, said that nothing had been returned and someone would call and update me. Again, i was never called.

I understand that it was my responsibility that I left the glasses in the room. I even understand if someone stepped on them and broke them, especially since they were on the floor. I just with that a) Someone called and updated me as promised (twice!) and b) They owned that the glasses may have been broken, so that I could pick them up and have them repaired.

I am furious at the lack of follow through from Marriott. My family has stayed with Marriott for many years and we even own a timeshare through them. I cannot believe that something so simple as forgotten eyeglasses was so badly dropped. I've left things at random, less-elite hotels and have ALWAYS had them returned, no matter how minor it was. I will not be staying at this Marriott ever again, and I will definitely NOT be recommending it to others.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Nicolas Z, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to forward your comments regarding your recent experience at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. We sincerely apologize your missing item was not located. We have communicated your information to our Loss Prevention department for proper review. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We look forward to winning your confidence back and the opportunity to welcome you again by "Hosting You Brilliantly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Relaxing stay at the Marriott. We enjoyed the nightly live entertainment off of the lobby. The rooms were clean and spacious. It was a little tricky acquiring a refrigerator for some of the snacks and beverages we brought back to the room, but we did get one. Pleasant walk to the parade. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013
Salmiyah, Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The best thing about this Marriott is it's central downtown location and the views. Otherwise, it is a very average hotel that could use a bit of updating. It's policy on charging for wifi, at $14,95 per day per phone/computer is ridiculous. Even a basic Courtyard doesn't charge for wifi anymore.
We felt the hotel really needed nicer amenities, the little things were missing ie robes, nice towels, etc. For a Marriott we felt Courtyards give better value, nicer rooms, and this Marriott could be so much more, but fell short.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to forward your comments regarding your recent experience at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We look forward to winning your confidence back and the opportunity to welcome you again by "Hosting You Brilliantly.
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This hotel is in the perfect location for enjoying the city of Chicago. 15 ladies stayed here for a bachelorette. All of our rooms were right next to each other which was so great.
The lobby is beautiful, very chic and clean. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and accommodating!
The only reason I did not give this hotel a full rating is because the rooms were quite small and the bathroom vanity was also quite small. Not that it mattered too much since we were just sleeping in the room, but I definitely could have used a larger bathroom so more than one could get ready at the same time!
I would recommend this for travelers wanting to experience downtown Chicago

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The staff here is great and extremely friendly. They were quick to greet me and my girlfriend as we entered into the hotel. We quickly checked in and made it up to our room. Upon entering I noticed how small the room was. Its like they crammed everything from my college dorm into an even smaller room. There are hardly any towels in the room. I am here over the 4th of July weekend and I have to be able to work and check in on my office back home in Michigan. After relaxing for a while, I pulled out my laptop to check my email. I connected to the Marriott guest network thinking they would have free WiFi. WRONG. They charge $15 for the BASIC plan. I chose to enter an access code thinking I could just call the front desk and get the code. WRONG again. They don't have any form of free WiFi at all. So I am sitting here writing this review from my phone instead of using my nice laptop. Once again in the city of Chicago I am stuck without a fully working internet connection. I am beginning to think this city does not like to treat tourists well.

Oh, my girlfriend is a Marriott Rewards and not even that gets you free WiFi or any better treatment.

Room Tip: Do not come here for business
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicolas Z, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Location and service are the reason to stay here. I attended a multi-day business conference and being downtown on Michigan is an attraction in itself. The hotel is within walking distance of the river walk and some of the river tours.

So what is the issue? The rooms are small, not all come with refrigerators--not unexpected for a big hotel. And yes the Internet in the room is overpriced (free in the lobby). And yes, parking is too expensive. And yes the cost of drinks is too high. But all of these are known in advance. The issue was some of the maintenance during the conference. One of the escalators between conference floors was out for at least two days. Several meeting rooms had defective lighting, etc.

If you are a tourist or a business person looking for a good hotel with location and not using the conference facility, you might rank this higher.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 30th floor may have a deeper view of the city. Ask at the desk. Our room looked wes...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Crown City, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We came to see Chicago for a few days and chose this hotel for 2 reasons. #1 I have Gold Elite status & #2 the location. It's been my experience in the past to get an upgrade when checking in but not here. The room was small & the bathroom smaller, very clean. Everywhere I looked the hotel was clean, staff very friendly. I had free breakfast each am but with 2 grandchildren along, that doesn't work well. I ask for a lake view & the kids reps once,at the first glance out the windows, was great. The location was perfect, we walked, took the Navy Trolley &Water Taxi. Parking was high but expected in big cities. The pool was small but adequate BUT we never did find the dry & wet sauna. I even called the desk & ask about the adjoining room, way too small for 4 people, but it was a $$$$ suite, she didn't even offer to move us to another room with adjoining room & get more money out of us. Overall stay was not great & not bad, just OK.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!