“Great location, very busy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

You added Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   540 N Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #105 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Houston, Texas, United States
“Great location, very busy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Was here for a conference and the facilities were good. The food at our conference events was outstanding. Kudos to the kitchen. The rooms are standard Marriott rooms, and mine was pretty small on the bathroom and the closet side of things. The location is fantastic; right in the middle of everything downtown. One downside is that the lobby bar was packed every night due to multiple conferences, and I mean packed. Meaning standing room only And loud. So sitting down for a quiet drink was impossible. The noise is due to an open lobby area, high ceilings and marble floors. Nothing to absorb it. Want to grab a quiet drink in the bar? Leave and walk somewhere else.

Everything else was okay but not spectacular. I did notice that one of the beds in my room (had a double room) had a piece of board in between the mattress and box spring that you could see. I guess that's because the box spring is broken??? Also the blanket in the closet (which I love to use when they are nice) was ratty and had been laundered numerous times. Buy a new blanket please! Also, my room service menu was missing and my breakfast door hanger had been filled out and left behind by a previous tenant and until I threw it out, it just continued to be placed on my pillow each day. Oh, and my floor lamp was broken where the bulb inserts into the holder. One other minor complaint - there is a serious lack of plugs in the right places: two plugs under the desk but NO available plug near the bed. Had to plug my phone in over night across the room. In rooms that lack plugs, please install lamps with plugs in the bases.

Again, minor stuff but at almost $300/night, a nuisance. The location makes up for it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Turkish first
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I attended a convention here, so my rate was very reasonable (the same rate as weekend specials). In six nights at the hotel I found everyone on staff was friendly and helpful, from housekeeping to concierge and those who helped out with the convention. The lobby gets pretty hectic at dinnertime, which is not surprising. My room was on the northeast corner, so I had a great view up Michigan Avenue and out to Lake Michigan. The only negative is that even on the 39th floor the noise of ambulance sirens going to Northwestern's hospital was enough to wake me up. I thought the room was as large as I could expect in a city hotel. By the way, the food provided to the convention for continental breakfast and snack time was amazing! The location, as others noted, is perfect for exploring Chicago. I do have to say that the furniture in the room was somewhat worn out--drawers didn't work properly, for example.

Room Tip: High number rooms help avoid hall noise but may have more siren noise. Mine was a corner, very priva...
Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I recently spent 5 nights at the Marriott Chicago while attending a convention. The hotel is nice, the ambiance is excellent and the service was suberb. Staff was very friendly and always willing to make everybody's stay a great one. I must say it is the perfect place for a convention. Location was superb, since it was right in the middle of everything: great restaurants and shops just a stroll away... My only complaint was the size of my room. Since I was there for business, my room was a standard room. I don't know if superior rooms are bigger, but my standard room was tiny. Nevertheless, the room and the bathroom were spotless , furniture was modern and comfortable, and the bed was very, very nice. What more could you ask for a hotel room while in a convention?

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very small!
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel is exactly what I would want from a stay in Chicago! The hotel is modern and full of life. My room wan clean and comfortable with a magnificent view of the city. The staff is on their "A" game 24/7. All I needed to do was to enjoy my experience. Well done!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dan P, Director of Sales at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, and for highlighting our clean and comfortable rooms and friendly staff. We pride ourselves on providing the best possible experience for everyone, whether they’re traveling for business or pleasure. We hope to be able to host you again the next time you visit Chicago.
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on a weekend.
The staff was beyond friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean, and the location was great between Rush Street and Michigan Avenue.
Hotel arranged transportation from the United Center, cabs, and anything else we needed.
We will definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marriott Downtown Chicago. You highlighted one of our favorite things about the hotel, which is our unbeatable location. We’re glad you were able to visit many of the nearby destinations during your weekend in the Windy City! Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you on your next trip to Chicago.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed for one week as well as did our son and his wife. Upon arrival we were told there were no rooms with King beds, even when we showed our reservation for this type of room. It took 3 nights, several follow ups and a call to the Hotel Manager before we were given a room with a king bed. There was no concern from front desk staff. The beds overall are well used. Towels and room amenities are less than good. Location was only saving grace for this hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dan P, Director of Sales at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear MK,

We are very concerned to learn about your experience. It is uncharacteristic of our hotel and staff, and we will do everything in our power to rectify the situation for you and for future travelers with similar needs. We encourage you to contact us directly at 312-836-6143 to discuss the issue in greater detail.
minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I Stayed here for a conference for 3 nights in April. The location is excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The downsides- no fridge or microwave, the bathtub and showers are not comfortable , the hotel is designed a bit awkwardly ( for eg no restrooms on the main floor) and it feels cluttered. The price is quite expensive, and I would have hoped for more elegance in the rooms. Overall not a bad deal though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, and for highlighting our fantastic location and friendly staff. We don't have refrigerators in all guestrooms but we are happy to deliver upon request based on availability. In the future please don’t hesitate to call the desk to see how we can better assist you. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!