“Great Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

You added Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   540 N Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #111 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Houston, TX
“Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

Stayed at this hotel on business and found the location right on N. Michigan to be perfect. Good access to trains, restaurants, shopping, river, etc. I lived in S. Florida for a few years and was excited to see a Joe's Stone Crab directly across the street when I arrived.

Room was good sized, clean, and decorated well. Alot of the convenience plugs added to the desk area for business travelers did not work, so i found myself searching for plug-in space behind furniture. Not a huge thing, but if you're gonna bother with the extra plugs, why not make sure they work?

Hotel was full with a convention at the time I stayed and it took along time to get an elevator. This was my biggest complaint with the place. Bar in the lobby was fun and active. Restaurant is kinda outta the way up on the 4th or 6th floor, but had a good breakfast buffet at a reasonable price.

Price was in-line with other comparable hotels for features and location. I would stay here again on the company's dime. For personal travel, there are slightly better deals close-by that I would choose first.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Elevator wait times
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

Let me start by saying that I love Marriott hotels. I have never stayed at one that I didn't enjoy. That being said, they are sometimes above my price range. For this trip, I needed to go as cheaply as I could without lowering my standards.

While searching, the Marriott website was the first one I looked at. Then I looked at different hotel sites as well as travel sites offering deals. Everything was above my budget. So I tried Priceline. This was my first time using it, and I was so very happy when my third bid was accepted to see that I'd won the Marriott Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile!

Being a Pricline reservation, there were restrictions. However, it doesn't hurt to try, so the week before our arrival, I emailed the hotel directly to request that the 2 rooms I had reserved be adjoining and that we have 2 beds in each room. Within one day, I had a reply from them saying they would forward my request to the front desk and do everything possible to accomodate us. When we arrived, I mentioned emailing, and the front desk person assured me that they were going to accomodate that request! I was very happy, as we had 5 in our party, and wanted to stay together, if possible.

The rooms were beautifully decorated. The beds were the most comfortable beds I have ever had in a hotel room. Lots of soft, fluffy pillows, down comforters, quality bed linens. Modern, flat screen tv's in each room. Two phones in each room. A desk with chair, and an upholstered chair as well. We also had a full length mirror in each room, which was very nice.

The only down side, and this was very minor, was the size of the bathrooms. The toilet and tub were in one very small room, and the sink and closet were outside of that room. Only one person could stand in front of the sink, as there was no room for anyone else. Having 3 women in one room and 2 in the other, this made it a little hard, but we made do just fine. Water pressure in the shower was good, not a fine spray like most hotels. Never had a problem with water temperature either.

The staff at this hotel were wonderful. Every time we had a question or request, it was dealt with very courteously and quickly. Check in and out was quick and easy. The only time we ate in one of the hotel restaurants was the morning we left. We grabbed a muffin and coffee on our way out, where the service was quick and the prices were decent.

We tried out the pool and the hot tub the last evening, and that was a big hit, as we were all pretty tired from all the walking we did while shopping. The exercise room looked very nice, although we didn't have an opportunity to use it.

Location of this hotel was great for our needs. Close enough to walk to the Loop for the theater, and right on the Mag Mile, close to shopping and restaurants. We caught the bus right across the street for the northern end of Michigan Ave, and for going to the zoo.

All in all, a wonderful stay, and this hotel may just become the only place I want to stay while visiting Chicago! If only I could afford to stay there more often!

• Liked — The beds were the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel.
  • Disliked — small bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed for a long weekend 10/11 -10/14. Everything about the stay was perfect. The room was great, the view was great, the location was perfect. The front desk was knowledgeable and helpful as was the concierge. Great restaurant recommendations, helpful with directions. This hotel's location is ideal for seeing multiple parts of the city.
As other reviewers stated the bathroom was on the smaller side, but it wasn't a problem for us. We didn't spend our trip in there and it was clean and everything was in good order.
I honestly have not one complaint about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

As a frequent traveler to Chicago, I always welcome the opportunity to come back to a city that has some of the best hotels in the US. Usually I stay at the Park Hyatt or the Peninsula, but our conference was at the Marriott so I stayed there out of convenience- what a mistake! For over $300, you get a room smaller than some closets, with virtually no amenities. The Michigan ave location is good, but for another $150, the Park Hyatt is sure to delight you!

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed our first night in a hotel just down the block but were not happy with the premises. Walked into the Marriott on Sept. 8 and they were very helpful - showed us a room and we promptly booked 5 nights on the spot, government rate for 3 nights and AAA rate the other two, so overall less expensive than the hotel down the block.

Everything about this hotel made our stay a pleasant experience - the hotel staff, housekeeping, breakfast at their 4th floor dining room, view from our room on the 41st floor, and the fact that the entire hotel is a nonsmoking facility. Rooms were tastefully decorated and very clean. Beds were comfortable and room was quiet, too - no noise from rooms on either side. Ask for a lakeside view - you get a little of the city and a little of the lake. We had a city-only view with sunsets, and that was nice, too. One added bonus: Trader Joes is in the next block, which is convenient for snacks and wines.

Location is good - one block off the Magnificent Mile and within walking distance of Millenium Park, the Art Institute, and the Chicago Architecture Foundation (the latter for great tours & info). We didn't care about the shopping on The Mile, but it's where to get buses to go places elsewhere in the city.

Overall, the Marriott made our first-time stay in Chicago a wonderful experience. I'd recommend it to my relatives....

• Liked — The room + facility and central location
  • Disliked — business center charges 50 cents per minute for internet access
New Orleans
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

We stayed at this location for a conference for 5 days. The location was nice but I was not impress with the hotel at all. I rather stay off of Michigan Ave. if it meant we can stay at a hotel where it is cleaner and spacious.

We arrived during the conference and it took awhile for us to check-in. Unfortunately, it was during high school proms, the lobby was swamped with 4 different proms the weekend and the attendees of the conference (McCormick Convention Center).

I was not impress with the wait in the elevators and because it was so crowded with unsupervised teenagers and professionals, getting to the top floor was a hike.

The hallway was very narrow and gloomy with unattractive 70's carpet.
The room was very tight. It was two double with a 'view' but it was not much of a view. The got us excited during check in but the room/
window was against a wall so we can only see out at an angle. The bathroom was very ugly. The tub was standard and small. Very dated. The toilet was old and the seat was chipping so I can't tell if they cleaned the toilet or not.

The closet door did not slide; we called someone to fix it and not one came by to fix the door during our stay. (5 days of neglect).
The iron did not work so we had to call for another one. We needed to iron our clothes for work. That was also a drag.

Bar was small and dingy. The desk did not know of late night restaurants. Getting a cab was about 20-30 minute wait. I was not impressed at all. The city is full of fun things to do but at the end of the day, we dreaded coming back to our room.

I have to go to Chicago every year for the conference and this is one hotel I plan on never returning to. I felt like I was in a run down old Vegas casino-hotel.

• Liked — Location on Magnificent Mile
  • Disliked — overall experience was below average; crowded and hectic, rooms are dark and lobby is dated.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

I stayed in Chicago with my new FIANCE. We booked a room at the Chicago Marriott. It was a little pricy, but included a lot. I recommend the "Romance Package" to anyone looking for a "wow" weekend. It included champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, breakfast in bed for 2 and a later checkout. Not only was the hotel nicer than anything I've stayed in, but the service was also great. They gave us info on where to go (dinner, nightlife, etc.) We got to check in early. The room was great. Not the biggest, but very nice. We were on the 33rd floor which meant just a magnificent view of the city. I proposed at Navy Pier, and everything worked out great. Needless to say, this was the greatest weekend of our lives. A great hotel, great location and an all around great city. What more could you ask for?

• Liked — The location and very friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not enough time to enjoy everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!