“Memorable Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“Memorable Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for one night after we were married and we were impressed with the hotel staff. We told the lady at the check-in desk that we had just gotten married and when we came back from dinner we noticed that a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries had been sent to our room. We considered this a wonderful act of service and it showed that the hotel really valued and listened to it's customers. Our room was lovely and clean and this made for a comfortable stay. We were only there one night before flying out for our honeymoon but we wished we could have stayed a little longer to enjoy some of the other hotel amenities and the downtown Chicago activities.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
carrollton,tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

Had a great stay at the Hilton. Upgraded to a room on the Executive Level with 2 full size beds and 2 baths. The room was very clean and the entire staff was friendly. Unable to get a lake view without paying an extra $75/night. Also, continental breakfast is free for Executive level guest. Great location, very close to the Taste of Chicago event. Free shuttle to Magnificent Mile. Fire broke out at the hotel during my visit but still had a ball.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

While my title says "beware", I merely say this as a precaution when you select which room you want. Everything else was very top-notch.

We got our room on a good deal with Hotwire. When we arrived, the check-in line was long, so my wife and I didn't want to wait and instead, we headed for the auto check in kiosks. While going thru the screen, the room with a king bed was not available, but the system opted for a room with "2 beds, 2 bathrooms." We immediately selected the room with excitement thikning we were getting a suite. So the machine spit out the room keys and my receipt and we were on our way.

When we arrived at the room, the description was right, 2 beds and 2 bathrooms. However, the two beds were TWIN BEDS. Suddenly we were back in the 1950's like Lucy and Ricky Ricardo. Since we were only staying one night, and we were too tired to go back down and change our room, we decided to sleep one night in separate beds.

Besides the bed logistics, the room itself was great. The bathrooms were both clean and had La Source/Crabtree & Evelyn ameneties. The beds themselves were very comfy. All in all, its a perfect room for friends travelling since 2 bathrooms means getting ready can happen in less time.

The hotel clientele varies from Chicago tourists to business travellers. Its almost like going to Vegas where you have people dressed to the nines intermingling with folks in sweatshirts and jean shorts waiting in line for breakfast.

The attached stores and restaurants are nice too. The latest bar to stay open is Kitty OSheas unless another bar has enough people.

As far as location, its great for getting into Grant Park, so those going to Taste of Chicago or Lollapalooza wouldn't need any taxi or bus help whatsoever. Also, parking is pricey - $38 a day. Consider other all-day options from lots around the area if you don't mind walking a few blocks.

So all in all, its a fine hotel. Just watch what you shop for.

Shaker Heights, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

Stayed at the Chicago Hilton for a long weekend. I simply do not understand the negative reviews of the hotel on this site -- perhaps they come from people who only want to stay in sterile, ultra-modern hotels.

The lobby of the hotel is spectacular. The rooms were actually very large and nice, with new furnishings done in a style to match the hotel's public spaces. The beds and linens were very comfortable, and our room had new electronics and web-tv. There is absolutely no reason for this hotel to be considered anything less than a four star by anyone who has done a bit of traveling.

Is this a Penninsula or Four Seasons? No; but it doesn's cost $500.00 per night. At a minimum, this hotel has all the comfort and amenities you would find at any 4 star business hotel, wrapped up in a grand, old package. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

Totally wonderful historic hotel. I booked this hotel on Hotwire for $106 to surprise my husband for his birthday. He thought I must have paid a fortune. It was a beautiful hotel and the staff could not have been more friendly. The hotel was completely modern but retained that historic feel. I agree with previous reviews that the bathroom is a bit small compared to other luxury hotels, but no big deal. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and besides the occasional sound of the El, was very quiet. The breakfast buffet was amazing, but a bit pricey. It was a bit of a walk to other restaurants, but the area was very safe and cabs or train was readily available. There was a free shuttle all day to the Magnificenat Mile shopping area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

I stayed here for one night, May 28, 2006, and overall, I thought that this place was great. I arrived at 9:00am to ask when I would be able to check-in. They lady at the Hilton HHonors front desk counter told me to give her my cell phone number and that she would call me when my room was ready. I told her that would be great. I was able to leave my luggage for free until I returned. I doubted that they would really call me, but sure enough, at 2:30PM, the same lady called me and told me that my room was ready. I just had to pick up the key at the front desk.

I received a King Non-smoking room (as I requested) on the 16th floor. The room was great. The AC was quiet and worked fine. The room was plenty big, and I barely heard the El go by during the day. The bed was comfy. The bathroom, however, was a bit small. I have silver status with Hilton HHonors, which usually isn't worth too much. But at this hotel, I received free access to the huge Hilton Athletic Club on the 8th floor and two complimentary bottles of water in the room. I would stay at this hotel again simply because of the size the gym.

Many past reviewers have commented on the prices at the hotel restaurants. Yes, they are quite expensive, but you are paying for location and convenience. I had the cold breakfast buffet on Monday morning for $13.50 and I thought the food was fine. The service was great!

Complaints: There was a NCFL (debate) tournament at this hotel during my stay and the elevators were always slow. I doubt this would be a problem if I stayed at the hotel when they were less busy. The toilet in the room backed up several times and seemed to take several flushes to do the trick.

I payed $143.00 (+tax) for the room and thought that it was good value for Chicago.

• Stayed May 2006
Sulphur Springs, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2006

We loved the hotel. When I see other posts about it being shabby I can't for the life of me figure out what they are talking about. Rooms were large with TWO bathrooms, lobby was fabulous, pool was large with two hot tubs and huge gym, staff was courteous. For us, the location was great--across the street from Grant Park with a great view of Buckingham Fountain and close to all the museums and theatres. I'm sure others would rather be north of the river closer to the Magnificent Mile but we enjoyed the quieter and more scenic location. Got it for $105 on Hotwire. What a bargain for such a nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Hilton Chicago? Share your experiences!