“Treated like a third class citizen!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Chicago

You added Hilton Chicago to your Saves list
Hilton Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   720 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Sale - from $159
Ranked #93 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, WI
“Treated like a third class citizen!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

BEWARE!

I realize that reserving a room through Hotwire means that I may not receive a room on the 22nd floor with an amazing view of the lake; however, I fully expected to at least be given a room with a bed. Upon checking in at 3:30 in the afternoon, my fiance and I requested a non-smoking room. We were told that because we made our reservation through Hotwire, we were not guarenteed a specific kind of room. The receptionist went on to say that not only was the hotel overbooked, but the only room they were willing to offer us was the living room of a suite, equipped only with a pull-out sofa bed! She kept insisting that it was a lovely room with an amazing view, but I said I was more concerned about having a place to sleep than I was about looking at the lake (I'm from Milwaukee, I see the lake everyday). She left and spoke with a manager, but came back, unapologetic, with no alternative. Normallly I would have sat on the counter until the problem was fixed, but being newly pregnant, all I wanted to do was lay down. The view was great, but for $110 I could've slept on my own, much more comfortable, sofa. I travel quite a bit and have never been treated like this. I will not go back.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lees Summit, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2005

Stayed here for three nights over the 4th of July weekend. Chose this hotel because if it's location (across the street from Grant Park where the fireworks can be seen). Beautiful old hotel, well maintained. We had a king bed, very comfortable with quality linens and very comfortable mattress. We did learn that the standard rooms with two double beds are much larger than the standard rooms with a king bed (older adult family members stayed in one of the double bedded rooms). Nice bathroom, very clean. The public areas of this hotel are magnificient. The lobby is beautiful as are the ballrooms. We ate at the Irish pub in the hotel--good food and the most reasonably priced of all the restaurants in the hotel. If you're physically able to walk any distance, this hotel is conveniently located to the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, and Adler Planetarium. We didn't find very many restaurants close by other than in the hotel.

Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2005

Best hotel bed I have ever slept on! Rooms were nice and clean. With 4 women sharing the room, we extremely appreciated the 2 bathrooms. We had a great view of the lake, very pretty in the morning. Plus it was a quick walk to the shore. Always had hot water for showers. Pool was nice with an outside deck for lounging. Oh, if you want to use the exercise facilities, plan on $13 a day for access.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
philadelphia, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2005

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days, returning July 9'th. I primarily chose this hotel for it's location (walking distance to museums, lakefront, etc.) and the spa. We greatly enjoyed both.

We started every morning with a visit to the sauna, hot tubs, and pool, then showered and headed out to various attractions. This hotel is within walking distance of the Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, and Adler Planetatium. We also walked to the Chicago River for an architectural cruise, but that might be a bit far for some others.

The only real problem we had with the hotel was our fellow "guests." During our stay, several conventions landed there, including a group of Bible Bowlers (several hundred middle American families with preteen and teenaged children competing in a bible trivia contest), a horde of Pampered Chef ladies, and some others. Is it a Midwest tradition that because you have rented a number of rooms in a hotel, you have the right to take over common areas, such as the elevator lobbies on every floor, for group meetings? These group meetings consisted of 20-50 teens or Pampered Chefs sitting barefoot on the floor of the lobby area whooping and hollering, playing card games, and eating take-out pizza! It was most disconcerting, and I cannot imagine why the hotel management did not discreetly direct these folks to a private gathering area.

Unfortunately, this kind of behavior damaged our experience of an otherwise lovely hotel. I hope the Hilton staff will find a way to deal with such lack of civility.

Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and I found it wonderful. It is a very majestic hotel and our room on the 13th floor was huge (it was a smoking room). It had 2 large beds, and 2 bathrooms, loads of white fluffy towels, massive TV, a coffee machine, mini bar etc etc. The only tiny complaints I had was that there was no coffee in the room on arrival and on my way out I asked the desk staff, who assured me it would be there on my return from a night out.....no it wasn't. Also the lifts were continually busy, but it was 4th July and the hotel looked to be exceptionally busy, but 30 minute waits at a time seemed extreme.

Other than those 2 minor issues, we loved the hotel, loved the rooms, loved the beds and the bedding was divine, loved the location......if we return to Chicago (which I hope we do) then without a shadow of a doubt we would stay here again, but perhaps take a coffee bag with us in readiness!!!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

It is absolutly a beutiful hotel. My family was in town just for pleasure, this was the first time we were in Chicago.
The location is ideal just in front of the park, overlooking the lake. Only one block walking to the event of Taste of Chicago, two blocks to the lake.
The lobby is classy. We arrived around 5:00 pm, check in was very quickly. I booked two rooms for two nights, I was able to get one room with double bed and two marble baths, one room with king bed with marble bath, they were in the same floor. Both with the view of Lake and park. I was very satisfied.
The rooms were clean, well decorated. The beds were comfy.
My daughter loved it, she said this was one of the best hotel we ever stayed.

The breakfast buffey in the hotel is so so. The gentleman in the front desk that we asked for information of attractions in the town was not helpful, it made us almost waste a day. The self parking garage should have better way connect to the hotel.

Overall, if I come back to chicago again I will stay in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2005
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

After reading some of these reviews I was scared to check into the Hilton Chicago. I don't know why people make up stories this hotel is amazing and so classy. From the time we checked in till we departed the staff was always there for us and always treated us with so much respect. Our room was ready when we arrived at 8am which was a bonus because we didn't have to hang around and our room was so impressive for the money, we had 2 bathrooms, you never get that no where unless you have a suite. When I come back to Chicago no doubt it will be back to this hotel I won't even think twice. Trust me when you walk through those front doors and through that lobby your jaw will drop at how beautiful it is, its classic with trimmings that are out of this world. Very impressed with this hotel and would give it more than a 5 star.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Hilton Chicago? Share your experiences!