“One Person Can Make You OR Break You” 4 of 5 stars

Start Saving - from $95/n
Ranked #91 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wichita, United States
“One Person Can Make You OR Break You”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Hilton on Michigan Ave. in Chicago is one of my favorite hotels...steeped in tradition, and we generally love opportunities to stay there. Unfortunately, our most recent trip was tarnished by an inept and somewhat curt front desk employee who essentially disregarded our early check in request and left my spouse (a cancer patient) lingering in the lobby for 5 hours after promising a wait of no more than an hour....and she had to go back to him...he never came to find her. The refreshments I had ordered for her to have during the afternoon while I was out on business did not arrive until evening. This employee was completely aloof about taking any ownership of this unpleasantness or offering any solutions and I had to resort to locating the front desk manager the next morning. Fortunately, that person fully understood Hilton's exceptional quest service policies and went above and beyond to accomodate us and make amends.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stay here all the time. The hotel was decorated beautifully for Christmas and was quite enjoyable in that respect. Our room was on the 8th floor opposing Michigan Avenue. We heard the rumbling of trains all three days we were there. Their frequency was about every 2-3 minutes. We were also near the Lake Rooms which was opposite a service hallway. We overcame the noise, but will request not to stay in that area of the hotel again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Rifle, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed here one night while we were in town to see the Chicago Symphony Christmas show. The hotel is in a GREAT location! The hotel itself is old and classy but it has some problems. Our room was located on the 16th floor and when you walk into the room the bed is RIGHT next to the door. We went to bed at 11 PM and were woken up numerous times during the night by people being loud in the hallway. There was also sticky stuff on the night stand and the lamp was broken. It seemed a little over priced for such an old hotel. But I guess you pay for the location!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I highly recommended this hotel. I thought it was a good place to start your vacation. Hilton Chicago is a excellent hotel. The location is the best in the loop town. Also, when you ready to check-in,you would find that the people who works in the front desk was friendly. Meanwhile, the room are clean.

Room Tip: facing the lake and choice higher floors
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our excellent hotel, great location and with the quality of service you received from our staff. I was pleased to hear you had a great stay and Thank you for recommending the Hilton Chicago. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.
We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Gurnee, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was not my first stay at the Chicago Hilton, but my third. It was however my first stay in about 10 years. They have made some serious renovations to modernize this classic beauty. This iconic hotel on South Michigan Ave has some serious history to it and they let you know about it every turn. Heck, even in the elevators there's a scrolling "did you know" type of quiz constantly running.

I was fortunate enough to get a room on one of the renovated floors, which was fantastic! It was like staying at any modern Hilton with all the ammenities: wifi, excellent lighting, modern furniture, HDTV, modern bathroom and tile. Loved it!

Parking is absurd, but you won't get away from that in any hotel in Chicago... real estate is rare so parking is expensive. My only other gripe is that a lot of the rooms will have a view of a wall. The hotel has several "inlets" where the windows face another room or a brick wall. It's really hard to avoid unless you've got status or pay out extra money for a lake view.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our historical hotel. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your renovated room accommodations. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.
Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointment with our added charges and the position of some of our guestrooms. We work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a large downtown area hotel on our products and services such as parking.

Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed for one night at the Hilton Chicago, in November. When I reserved the room, parking was included in my rate. When I arrived at the hotel the valet guys told me to go ahead an park and keep the ticket and they would validate at the front desk. I arrived before 3:00p.m. and was able to check in right away. I got to my room and was really surprised at how spacious it was. I've stayed at other hotels in Chicago and the rooms are much smaller. It was nice to have the extra space. My room faced the skyline of Chicago so I couldn't complain about the view. I was in Chicago to do some shopping and visit some friends, so I didn't take advantage of the amenities the hotel has to offer, but it all looked great. The location is great. A bit South of all the shopping on Michigan Ave, but the walk is well worth it. It is across from Grant Park, near Millenium Park and the Field Museum. I would definitely stay here again when visiting Chicago.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our great hotel and location. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your spacious room accommodations and that you would definitely stay with us again. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Very fine hotel and staff! I always stay here! I have noticed they are cutting back on maintenance and some of the wonderful attractions, like the gingerbread house by the elevators etc. I hate to see these little things go away! It's part of the Chicago Hilton tradition to which many of us have become accustomed at Christmas! Kittie(sp?) O'Shea's is open only on a limited basis. It was closed on Tuesday before the Midwest Clinic this year. Kittie's has ALWAYS BEEN the gathering place for Directors from around the world on Tuesday before Midwest. Shame! Seems like someone should notice these things before booking a private party in to Kittie O'Shea's before Midwest.........

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our excellent hotel and with the quality of service you received from our staff. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.
Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointments with the gingerbread house and Kitty O’sheas. Our goal is to always provide the best possible service our guests come to expect and deserve.
We appreciate your feedback as it is feedback such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for improvements.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Chicago? Share your experiences!