“An excellent hotel in the windy city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Chicago

You added Hilton Chicago to your Saves list
Hilton Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   720 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Sale - from $159
Ranked #93 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Athens, Greece
“An excellent hotel in the windy city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I loved Chicago. The cruise in the canals was an excellent way to see the architecture of the city. The park was an oasis in the middle of the day with interesting modern sculptures. Hilton, an excellent hotel, reminds me the aristocratic site of the city. The breakfast buffet was tasteful and rich. I will come back for sure!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a high floor. The view of the city is fabulus!
Green Features: The hotel has an ENERGY STAR. The hotel measures multiple utility and operational metrics such as energy, water, carbon, housekeeping, paper product usage, waste, chemical storage, air quality and transportation.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Michael H, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Chicago for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your comments.
It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our excellent hotel. I am delighted to hear how much you love our windy city and enjoyed our breakfast buffet. It’s always good to hear our hotel is meeting the expectation of our guests.

Thank you for noticing our Green features and practices. We are very proud and dedicated to our continual efforts to the Green environment!
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed from May 30 - June 3 while attending ASCO. Check in was quick, efficient and extremely friendly. The person(s) who were assigned to housekeeping for my room were totally impeccable - it was a pleasure to return to my room each night after a long day at convention to have everything so clean - right down to my shoes being lined up very neatly. I was on the Concierge level and the breakfast and coffee each morning was the perfect way to start my day. I am a very proud Hilton Honors member. Thank you for an amazing stay.

Room Tip: I was on the 24th floor and it was wonderful
Green Features: Loved the paper bags for recycling and also the small video in the elevator informing guest on the measures Hilton is taking to Go Green.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Michael H, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the hotel with outstanding service, impeccable housekeeping and with the quality of service you received from our staff especially, with Housekeeping. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our executive lounge breakfast. It’s always good to hear our hotel is meeting the expectation of our guests.

I’m happy to hear you appreciated our Green features and practices. We too are very proud and dedicated to our continual efforts to the Green environment!

Thank you for being a Hilton Honors member. We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels is known.
Phoenix, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Overall would not have had any issues with the Hilton stay as most things were as to be expected. The down side, Hotel accidently gave a stranger access to our room and he scarred the hell out of my wife and son while he was taking a nap. Executive lounge was out of or low on food during most visits Wifi was almost useless as it would drop the connecting on any device after two or three minutes

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,
It appears we fell short in meeting your expectations and for this I sincerely apologize. I assure you your experiences are not typical of our usual high standards we provide or are known for. Please rest assured, I have personally addressed the room situation with the Director of Front Office to ensure such incidents are not repeated.
Again, as Hotel Manager, please accept my sincerest apologies for failure to meet your expectations. We, at the Hilton Chicago, pride ourselves in our commitment to excellence in guest services and accommodations, and we take it seriously when we fail to live up to our guests’ expectations.
We appreciate your feedback as it is feedback such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for improvements and any necessary re-training.
We look forward to serving you for many more years in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had a comfortable room on the 19th floor, well served by elevators. Staff were courteous and efficient and the hotel displays its history well but when you drill down you find the charges expensive and not supplying free wi-fi to the room is nowadays pretty much a sin. Instead they have a pretty dire concierge style computer and a crass TV cable. Food service was also pricey. Obviously they are catering for their business trade.
Something they can't help is their distance from downtown. It's a bit of a stroll.

Room Tip: 1975 has a bit of a lake view
Green Features: They give you a paper back for recyclable material and get preachy about towels
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback as it relates to your recent stay. It was a pleasure to learn of your appreciation of your comfortable room and the level of service you received from our staff.
Please accept my sincerest apology for any disappointments you experienced with the added charges. Our goal is to always provide the finest in guest services. Please be assured, the Hilton Chicago works hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricings for a large downtown area hotel on its products and services.
We appreciate your feedback as it is feedback such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for improvements.

Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed in Chicago for most of a week for Yankee games at both Wrigley and US Cellular, and needed a hotel close to a train station for the latter part of the trip. When I originally booked, I wasn't too thrilled with the price, but it was worth every penny. This hotel is beautiful and I really enjoyed my stay.

I had a room on a renovated floor (14, I believe), which I think made a huge difference. Room (one king bed) was very spacious and comfortable. Desk area had TV as well as an interactive screen that you could use for internet browsing (I had my own laptop), to order room service, or to search for restaurants in the area. Neat little feature. I booked a rate that included wifi, and it worked very well. Believe it's free in the lobby and other downstairs areas.

The hotel has a lot of meeting and event space, and while I was there, was hosting some kind of national high school debate competition. I think it says a lot that I enjoyed my stay despite what had to be thousands of teenagers roaming all over.

Hotel has 2 restaurants inside along with a pantry-type store for snacks and drinks (which is overpriced, as to be expected.) I ate at one of the restaurants (Kitty O'Sheas) and it was standard pub fare.

Location is fantastic. Easy walk to the Harrison train station. Right on Michigan Avenue near Grant Park; easy walk up to Millennium Park and the bean. Tons of restaurants and shops along Michigan as well. I walked up to Navy Pier but that's a longer walk; I ended up taking a cab back the 2nd time I did that.

Staff was very pleasant and helpful. My room was ready even though I showed up around 10am, but I believe I saw signs for luggage storage if that's needed. There is a taxi stand right outside the main entrance on Michigan Ave and the bellman was very nice as well.

Would definitely stay again if the price was right. I've already looked at other times to come back and it seems the rate I thought was too high is actually on the low side for this hotel. But you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a renovated floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,
It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the Hilton Chicago, our fantastic location and with the quality of service you received from our staff. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your spacious and comfortable renovated room. It is always good to hear our hotel is meeting the expectations our guest come to expect and deserve.
We are thrilled to hear you will stay with us again!
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Older style, more gracious property than other city hotels. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Down in the small Bistro on the Lobby level they serve great gelato - some exotic flavors, even Bourbon! Hana, one of the servers took great care of us when we had a desire for some late night gelato. She accomodated us even though they were about to close. Great Job Hana and thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Michael W.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our hotel, great gelato and the level of service you received Hana. Please be assured, I have shared your comments with Hana and my appreciation of the great service she provided you. I was also very pleased to hear you enjoyed our bed and pillows. It is always good to hear our hotel is meeting the expectations our guest come to expect and deserve.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I traveled to Chicago for a conference and stayed at the Hilton Chicago. My first impression of the lobby was that it was dark and old (not outdated). My floor was also very dark in color scheme, and while it was well lit, the gray and dark purple color made it kind of dreary. I later found that not all floors were the same - for example, the third floor which houses the spa and gym was white/yellow/gold and very cheerful. I was in an updated room which was nice.

As a female traveling for business, I usually like to stay in a hotel that is near restaurants and shopping - I typically don't like ordering room service every night or eating in the hotel restaurant for my entire stay. Unfortunately, I don't think this location offers these options. I was there for a short period of time, but I believe this hotel is just south of the Loop and the main area of restaurants/shopping. I did see a shuttle from the hotel one day which appeared to take guests to the shopping/eating district - so this may be a good option if you choose this hotel. There is a nice deli (although very pricey) in the lobby offering a variety of snacks, drinks, meals, and desserts to go. A few blocks away is a CVS - great for getting water (hotel large Evian water was $7) and sundries. On the few trips I took walking to CVS I did come across some questionable characters asking for money, etc and when the conference shuttle arrived late afternoon to the side entrance of the Hilton there was a man asking every attendee as they got off the bus for money.

I would suggest staying at a hotel that is farther from the conference center so that you are near more activities and have more dining options.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Lynnace,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to hear you enjoyed your accommodations in one of our recently renovated guestrooms. Please accept my sincere apology you found your dining options minimal. In fact, there are many restaurants with a ½ mile walk of the hotel. Our goal is to always provide the finest in guest services. Also, please be assured, we have renovations planned for the near future which will include more guestrooms.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Chicago? Share your experiences!