“Great Hotel, nice location” 5 of 5 stars

Start Saving - from $95/n
Ranked #90 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
McLean, Virginia, United States
“Great Hotel, nice location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

refurbished room, interesting history, food was very good. elevators were fast. excellent gym, really the best hotel gym I've ever seen, brand new, had plenty of free weights and even kettlebells. stayed for a conference. very interesting walks along lake michigan and the parks. short walk to downtown.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It was a pleasure to learn of your appreciation of our historical, great hotel and nice location. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your newly renovated room, good food and our athletic club with all its newly upgraded equipment. We have a hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations of our guest.

We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here over a perfect weather weekend for a bachelor party. We had 3 rooms, and all three of them were completely different. I've stayed in plenty of four star hotels, and this one by far had the largest rooms. We chose the hotel because of the price, not the location. If you're looking to be situated in River North/Michigan Ave, know that it's about a 30 minute walk or a $10 can fare. Staff was excellent, particularly the bell hops. I would definitely stay here again (or the Palmer House, which is another old classic Chicago Hilton) next time I'm in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It was a pleasure to learn of your appreciation of our historical hotel and the quality of service you received from our staff especially, the bell hops. I was also pleased to hear you appreciated the size of your room and that you would definitely stay with us again.

Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My family of four (with kids ages 2 and 7) stayed here for two weekend nights on the "Family Fun" package. With a $25/night upgrade, we were provided with one of the Hilton's renovated/updated rooms that was a little larger than standard and provided two full bathrooms. While my telephone call inquiries with a few questions before our stay were only average, at best, with mediocre customer service, upon arrival the service was stellar. We arrived around 5 pm on a Friday, self-parked and gathered our several bags and headed down the parking garage elevator to find several luggage carts in the valet area. We loaded all of our belongings onto the cart only to be told that the bellhops were the only ones allowed to use the carts. We had our laptops with us and were not that thrilled about this (we simply don't have a problem "serving" ourselves - don't usually valet and don't usually request assistance with bags). After a long day in the museums, we let them take care of our bags grabbing our laptop bags.

There was a long line at the registration desk, but being Hilton Honors members, we were in a short line of only two guests. I felt a little bad for the non-member guests as when one of their customer service reps became available, they called me over to check in! Good for me, but... Checking in was seamless with a welcome as a Hilton Honors member, our wifi code provided, breakfast vouchers provided and parking validated and confirmed that it was "in and out" parking.

Our room was beyond our satisfaction. Everything including the window sills was clean. The beds were fairly comfortable. Extra pillows were requested (I use them under the sheets to make sure the kids don't fall off the bed) and were there upon arrival, as were a couple extra towels. The kids were thrilled with the second bathroom (we only have one at home). We were a little freaked out with the "Welcome" and my name on the computer screen at the desk, but it was a nice touch. We were unsure if using the computer was an extra fee, so we just left it alone. The room was extremely hot upon our arrival, so we called guest services as our thermostat was not working. Within five minutes, an "Engineering" service rep arrived and fixed it. We had plans that evening and left the room quickly. Exiting the parking was easy with no problems. Arriving back at the hotel with our validated parking ticket was no problem either.

The only "issue" we had at the hotel was a terrible dining recommendation. It was late and we needed a "family friendly" restaurant with an open bar to meet family and take our children to eat dinner. Losing an hour coming to Chicago, it really was extremely late and we didn't have time to walk around or search online for a place to go. "Jimmy Green's" was suggested by the bellhop/valet as a family friendly (I confirmed with him twice! and asked if they had a kids menu) sports bar with a great beer selection and good food and that it was only two blocks away. Technically being four blocks away and, upon arrival, discovering that it was a sports bar with horrible dance club music (it wasn't even good electronic music!), we left as soon as our in-town family arrived. We were extremely disappointed that the hotel would send us somewhere was clearly NOT family friendly considering we had a toddler in a stroller!? We ended up at the pizza place a couple doors down, which was more than accommodating.

The following morning, we took advantage of our included breakfast downstairs. Turned out it was a buffet, which was one of the best breakfast buffets we have been to. Scrambled eggs, omelets made to order, pancakes and hot syrup, oatmeal with a multitude of toppings, dumplings and rice, sausage and bacon, a full fruit bar, yogurt, milk, homemade breads, muffins and croissants and we were served orange juice and coffee. The coffee was horrible, but the service was great as was the food.

Saturday night, in-town friends stayed with our children so we could attend a family member's graduation commencement. They enjoyed a swim in the pool and time in the hot tub. They're only complaint was that the pool is divided into lanes, two of which are set up for laps only leaving one lane available for leisure swimming/playing. Towels were provided at the pool and while the pool was a little chilly for the kids, it was enjoyed for a little while.

Sunday morning breakfast was tricky. It was only being served until 10 am due to their Mother's Day brunch. We arrived at the restaurant at 9:40 and were told the buffet was closing in 5 minutes and there was a 10 minute wait for a table, so we were kind of out of luck. However, the hostess was gracious enough to provide us with to-go containers and get us orange juice to go. So, we piled up an assortment of food and another server brought us a bag with plastic ware in it. And, the manager made sure we had everything we needed. It really was a nice accommodation for us. So, we headed back to our room to eat.

Checking out was easy with one phone call as our bill (or folio) was all set.

The Hilton Chicago is located about one mile south of the river (where the "Magnificent Mile" begins). If you are looking to stay amongst the hustle and bustle, you need to stay in a hotel more north of here. For a family with kids who drove to down and needed a reasonable rate and parking, this hotel was perfect! We will definitely be back if the Hilton continues their Family Fun package!

Sorry the review is so long. It was truly a great stay, though and wanted to make sure all details were included (I appreciate thorough reviews on TripAdvisor and hope you do as well!).

Room Tip: Upgrade to a "business" grade room (was $25/night for us) was worth it. I was told by the...
Green Features: The hotel provided a brown paper bag for recyclables, which we took advantage of. This was a nice touch, but I think a separate plastic trash can may have sufficed (vs. a bag sitting on the desk).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed comments regarding your recent stay and for being a HHonors member. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation our historical, beautiful hotel, convenient location and the quality of service you received from our staff. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your two bathroom room accommodations and our breakfast buffet.
Please accept my sincere apology for the unfavorable dining recommendation you were given seeing you were with children. I am pleased to hear you were able to locate a nearby suitable restaurant for you and your family.
We are very proud and dedicated to our Green programs and will continue our efforts on our commitment to the Green environment.
We are pleased to hear you will definitely return and we look forward to serving you for many more years in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Springfield, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I think my experience is just a product of some of the floors not being renovated. Everything in my room was old and looked it. The bed skirt look to have moth holes in it, the headboard, side tables and TV stand\dresser looked as if it was original to the hotel or as if you are staying in some cheesy motel 8. The heating/cooling system made a running water sound all night and judging by the air quality had not had a filter replacement in over a year. I am generally not a complainer so I did not instantly bring these issues to the front desk personnel but after seeing one of my coworker’s rooms and how much better it was than mine, and also knowing that we are paying the same price per night I simply had to say something. I was met with complete disregard and lack of interest for my complaints by a woman named Ernestina. She did make an offer to move my room but after having one of my other coworkers switch room twice already (First receiving the same quality of room, next receiving an updated room) and only having one night left it was not worth the hassle of switching. I love Holton properties and generally stay in them if I can, this particular hotel falls very short of the standard that I have associated with Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointment with your guestroom and the level of service you received from our staff. Please be assured, your experience with the front office is not the typical standards we are known for and I have addressed this concern with the department head to ensure any necessary re-training takes place.
Please allow me to take this opportunity to inform you we recently completed a renovation of some of our guestrooms with more planned for the near future. These newly remodeled guestrooms are bringing new amenities such as a refrigerator and an in-room safe so we truly hope you will visit us again and come enjoy one of our newly decorated rooms.
We look forward to serving you for many more years in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Our trip to Chicago started when we were greeted at the Chicago Hilton by a very helpful Bellman named Joseph. At check-in, Alicia, asked what brought us to Chicago, and when we said we were celebrating a birthday, she presented us with a lovely certificate for use at the Hilton. Franco, the Executive Floor Concierge, was very helpful on every trip to the Executive Lounge. He made sure that Susie's birthday was a celebration, by presenting her with a lovely chocolate dessert, complete with a candle and a glass of wine. When Susie wanted yogurt for breakfast, Angela, a wonderful attendant in the Executive Lounge, went above and beyond to find what she needed. Our experience at the Chicago Hilton was stellar and we look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the quality of service you received from our staff especially, Joseph, Alicia, Franco and Angela. I’m pleased to hear you and Susie had a stellar experience and will return for future visits.

South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Excellent hotel all round, top class rooms , service and excellent location
Right opposite park and lake with outstanding views, hotel is spotless, staff are friendly and helpful, rooms are awesome, food quality and service are second to none

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our top class hotel with our excellent locations and the quality of service you received from our staff. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our food and service and that you found your room accommodations awesome!

Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We just got back from a fantastic trip to Chicago. Staying at the Hilton was a terrific experience. From check-in to check-out, the staff were stellar, including great advice from a security guard (!) on where to pick up a couple of bottles of modest wine close by. The room was very nice- I don't expect hotels to keep up with the latest in Better Homes and Gardens, and the upgrade to Lakeview was well worth it.
Staying here gave us great access to the Museum campus (the Shedd, The Field) and the Art Institute and public transit. The Citypass was a good buy, as was the three-day 'Ventra' transit pass.
The restaurants were pricey, but the cafes were good. And the manager of the gift shop was exceptional.
Go! enjoy!

Room Tip: upgrade to King Lakeview!!
Green Features: they are vocal about their green practices, but who knows?
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation our hotel, convenient location to museums and public transportation and with the quality of service you received from our stellar staff and the manager from the gift shop. I’m also very delighted to hear you had a terrific experience and enjoyed your lake view upgrade.
We are very proud and dedicated to our Green programs and will continue our efforts and stay focus on our commitment to the Green environment.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Chicago? Share your experiences!