“WHAT A DUMP!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605   |
Ranked #106 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
“WHAT A DUMP!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

We stayed at this dump for the Chicago Marathon. The prices were inflated because of the marathon. The hotel room was dirty, the tub did not drain, they did not have fitted sheets, and the last day the toilet stopped working. When we asked to be given the marathon rate (a steal at 189.00)they finally agreed, however, our entire credit never posted and we had to argue with them a month later to get the credit they issued...I even had the receipt from them!!!! I would never stay here again!!!

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

We had read all the reveiws prior to staying there and were somewhat filled with dread.

We were pleasantly surprised on arrival howver.Staff very helpful esp bell boys, front desk staff and Ray the driver.....some improvement needed by resturant staff.......rooms were small but cozy,with loads of hot water in bathroom and location walking distance to Magnificent Mile .Shuttle was very helpful.

There was a huge Opthalmology conference going on in Chicago at the time of our visit so our room was not cheap...$ 159.00 per night.I would have expected somewhere a lot nicer for that money but other hotels were much more expensive.

Pool excellent and gym facilities.Worth a try in my opinion

S Hall

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2005

We have stayed at this hotel twice. I am in no way a prude (Hey, I am a Chicago Bears fan- just a bear drinking, football loving gal).
The only reason we returned a second time, is because they have Chicago Bears ticket packages and we wanted to get tickets.

They have very few ammenities. The pool and workout room seem OK. There is a cheesy bar- attached to a restaurant (the restaurant serves Dennys style food). The bar attracts some seedier types, in the later evening hours. I wasn't comfortable there. The "outdoor garden" was a weed patch. That's ALL they have.

The rooms were not easy to climate control. The walls are very thin and the plumbing very LOUD. I did not sleep well all night. Carpets are filty and bathrooms in need of renovation.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. I am surprised that the Chicago Bears organization would even allow the organization to be linked to this level of trash, with the number of awesome hotels we have downtown. Heck, they even host the Bears convention in the Hilton across the street. Much nicer hotel. Stay there instead!

If you do the Bears package through the Essex because you want tickets- go to the Hilton for your meals and beverages.

• Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

The staff was the only thing acceptable at a recent stay at the Essex in Chicago. Carpets were dirty and stained, paint was peeling in the bathrooms, and the general condition was run-down.
This might be ok if in Chicago for a football game or frat party but it isn't acceptable for most business travel.
Take your shower shoes!

St. Louis, MO.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

We arrived at The Essex Inn at about 10:30 in the morning. We were not able to check in right away but they did hold our bags for us. We went to the Cards/Cubs game and returned to check in. Everything went smooth and fine. Yes, I will admit the decor is a bit outdated but we had a clean room and a pretty good view of the Lake and the area Museums. If you like to walk, it is in walking distance to the Museums and the parks are right across the street. Easy access to all bus stops and "L" trains. They even have a shuttle to the Navy Pier. The Bellman was of great help in recommending places to eat and how to get to alot of the attractions. If you like to live in Luxury then don't stay here. If you like a clean place to lay your head and is close to everything then this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2005

Our room had cobwebs in the corners, a leaking faucet, paint chips and bare wood showing on the bathroom door, a difficult to operate heating/cooling device, plus an inconsiderate desk clerk. (The bellman and parking attendants were extremely efficient and helpful.)

When we checked in, the desk clerk said it would be OK to write a check for the stay instead of using the credit card with which we guaranteed the room. Since I found I had forgotten my checkbook, I had my assistant "Next Day Air" me the check to pay for the room, resulting in an additional $21+ to the cost of our trip. When we tried to check out with my BUSINESS check, it was refused by the "desk manager" and we had to use a credit card I did not want to use.

The attitude of the "desk manager" was not conducive to good customer relations.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

I visited Chicago in August, 2005. I made the trip with two of my friends. It was my first time in Chicago. When I started looking for hotels, I found the Essex Inn online, and thought it would be a great deal. I was wrong. Yes, the price is reasonable. However, if I would have known ahead of time, I would have paid a lot more money to stay at a nicer place. There were many things that disappointed me about the Essex Inn. First, don't judge the hotel by the pictures on the website. They are very misleading, except for the pool. I will admit that the pool was pretty nice. We expected the rooftop garden to be a nice place to relax and wind down at the end of the day. However, the garden closes at the same time as the pool (10 p.m.). So, there is no time to enjoy the evening on the rooftop. Also, don't expect to have a good view from your room. On the website, they show a view of Lake Michigan, and Grant Park. Unless you are on one of the top floors facing Michigan Ave, then you pretty much have no view at all. The rooms were very small, and VERY 70's! The comforters and window shades were a pukey yellow color. There were a few pictures on the walls. However, one of the pictures in our room was barely hanging on the hook, and the frame was broken. There was duct tape on the window. The floor was stained (both in the bathroom, and the main room). In our hall way, there were random holes in the walls. It was just not what we expected. The staff was very nice over the phone. However, when we got there, the lady at the front desk was not very polite. Every time that we would call down to ask information, they acted like we were just a hassle, and they did whatever they could to get us off the phone quick. Moral of the story.... pay a few more bucks to get a nicer hotel. It may be cheap, but it's not worth it in the end.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Chicago's Essex Inn? Share your experiences!