“Location and view was the only good thing.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago's Essex Inn

Save Saved
You added Chicago's Essex Inn to your Saves list
Chicago's Essex Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (The Loop)   |
Special Offer
Xmas in July!
Ranked #99 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Palos Heights, Illinois
“Location and view was the only good thing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Three things I look for in a decent hotel. Cleanliness, shower and bed.
It was clean. The shower only had warm water. The sink never drained, which was smaller than my wet bar. I have never seen such a tiny bath room. The bed was Ok. The heat in the room was terrible. Could never adjust it properly. Décor is stuck in the 60's. The only thing is the view of Lake Michigan, Grant Park, Navy Pier, and the Museum campus. If you are looking for something cheap for downtown Chicago, this is probably the place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

1,053 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Toledo, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Everyone was telling me not to stay at this hotel but I'm glad I did! The location was great. We were close to the museums and we had the 3 day trolley pass which picked up and dropped off right next door at the hilton! Staff was nice and helpful. Room was a good size and the pool was nice all though a little cold. Overall it was a good weekend hotel!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend in mid-December after we bought a Groupon. The Essex is very close to the museum campus, totally walkable, even in the cold. Mag Mile is a bit further away, but the hotel has a free shuttle. The stay came with free Field museum passes which was a nice bonus. We were given a corner room facing the Sears Tower which was great. The hotel was fairly quiet and the attached restaurant was pretty decent with a nice wait staff. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

When we checked in we were to have the holiday package with mittens, a gift ,discounts for the Water Tower shopping. We received none of it. Got to the room and found the tub had black grease all over the bottom of it. We were moved to a new room and next morning found the housekeeping forgot to make sure the hair dryer was on the back of the door. Had to call to get one. Did come up rather quickly. Shuttle does not have a very good schedule only runs 11 to 4. Stayed here because we were told it had a shuttle service. Had to take cabs instead. Carpeting for the baseboard needs to be glued back on wall, kept catching my ankle on it. Probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Lisa S,

Thank you very much for letting us know how your recent stay was. I am so sorry that you did not receive your amenity bag upon check in. if it at possible, would you be able to send me your contact information so I can send it to you?.I would really like to speak with you further about your accommodations and experience with us. Please send me your information when you have time so I can reach out to you. jscott@essexinn.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We bought a Groupon for a weekend trip. We drove 6 hours and arrived at 3pm ish with friends (use spot hero for parking- got a close in/out spot for $28 all weekend vs $100 for hotel). Our front desk clerk was friendly and great- my friend's clerk was unfriendly. Her clerk said check in was "at 4" and she could not give them a room. When my friend asked me if we got our room, I said "yes". The clerk then dropped the attitude a little and offered them a queen--but they wanted to wait for a King so they waited an hour in our room with us.
Our room was fine for the price, clean enough (stained carpet) with a view of the rooftop pool-the rooftop pool is in the fourth floor and we were on 5th floor. It is not not the actual hotel rooftop, just a rooftop between buildings. We thought the pool was a tad chilly but enjoyed the sauna. A whirlpool would've been great.
Our room too turned jnto a sauna and temperature didn't seem controllable- so we turned off the heat and opened a widow (30 degrees outside) for relief. The shower stall was for 1 person- we like to shower together so this was a little disappointing.
Bed was very comfortable but the pillows were extremely lumpy. In room fridge was nice, coffee was terrible.
Ray, the shuttle driver, really made the trip wonderful. We took the shuttle to the Shedd and downtown to Watertower. I think people complaining about the shuttle would find that the common courtesy of tipping goes a long way. Location is south of the city, good for museums and most things downtown are walkable depending on your energy and fitness level. Buses are also right across the street and easy to use/navigate if you have that kind of sense of adventure. We left the car parked due to snowy weather and took the bus out to Loyola area. Really Ray and our check in clerk (whose name we unfortunately didn't get) made all the difference for us and we enjoyed our 2 night stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. We really appreciate that time you spent to inform us of your experience. We would love to welcome you back again. Please contact me directly next time your travels bring you to Chicago. jscott@essexinn.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I received the Groupon special of $69/night which is a great deal for Chicago. The employees working here are absolutely awesome. Every time we walked in the building they greeted us with a "welcome back" and an elevator in the lobby was always waiting to take us upstairs. There are some structural issues based on it being an older building. The climate control in the room has two settings - heat or air. You cannot actually set the temperature you want - you either get piping hot or freezing cold and if you want cooler in the winter you can only get heat. It's set seasonally. Also the shower does not get really hot water, it's lukewarm at best. The beds are little creaky, the pillows aren't the softest. A light bulb was out in our bathroom, and the sinks didn't drain very well. But it's true that you get what you pay for. Overall, I had a good experience with friendly employees and I slept in the bed just fine even though it wasn't the most comfortable in the world.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip. It was a very nice place to stay. The rooms are not new but they are well maintained and had a certain character that worked for me. I was there when it was cold and the temperature was good but i could see there could be a problem when the temperature fluctuates as they either have the cooling system on or the heating. I found the staff accommodating and the restaurant had good food. The restaurant was closed at 10pm so we ended up going to the Hilton next door.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Chicago's Essex Inn? Share your experiences!