“Great South Loop location on Michigan St.” 4 of 5 stars

Chicago's Essex Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605   |
Ranked #106 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Great South Loop location on Michigan St.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is located front and center on South Michigan Ave. with some rooms commandeering excellent lake views. There are CTA bus stops right outside the door. The train stations are a 10 min walk from the hotel.

Our room on the 15th floor was extremely clean...even inside the air conditioning vents! The help staff was always helpful with bus routes and schedules and places to eat.

They provide a shuttle to most major museums (although drop-off only), but even that is unnecessary with good weather as most are really close by.

Before booking, be on the lookout for special rates at the hotel's website. They offer all kinds of special rates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at the Essex for a night before Christmas and a couple of nights in early January.

The price was good, the employees friendly and helpful. The ongoing remodelling in the hotel did make for some noise and a rerouted entrance at night, but that wouldn't be enough to discourage us from returning.

The location is superb-- we walked to the Museum Campus and the Art Institute. It was a couple of blocks from Buddy Guy's Legends, which was a lot of fun. There are several appealing restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel.

Worth a stay now, and I think it'll get better when the construction is finished.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wallasey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Close enough to main streets, but arguably too far from main area. DEAD HANDY for Buddy Guys though, walk back in 4 minutes. Stff tucked away and not particularly visible (if that's what you like) . This said, the door guy sorted out some tours,,with the obvious commission. few select bars nearby, enough to provide a few different meals and had a great day in bar eith the locals. Not too touristy, something approaching "real" Chicago I'm guessing.

Stayed March 2012
Wyoming, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were in Chicago to see some of the museums. The Essex was in a great location for that. We took the train in, and there's a station about 10 minutes' walk away. It was a lot smaller than I would have expected, but the rooms were large enough and the pool was nice as well. The elevators get rather confusing as the workers' elevator is right beside the guests'. I don't recommend eating at the hotel's restaurant for breakfast. Exremely small muffins for a very high price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Crown Point, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My review is a bit late since we traveled end of December for out fifth anniversary, but better late than never. The hotel is situated perfectly to downtown, it's not noisy, but within walking distance of even Water Tower Place for even me on a December night. The museum (Art) is right there, Soldier's field is across the park (if you going during football season for a game), the museum campus (field, shed, and adler) are also across the park, so you can shop, go to museums, walk down to Symphany hall, or attend the theatre and walk to everything if you wish. If not, grabbing a taxi right outside the hotel is a piece of cake since you're on Michigan Ave. The hotel has always been perfect (3rd time we've stayed) and this time was the same, they are under construction to improve the lobby area, so there is the same issues with that you have with any business, a few inconveniences because of the construction but the staff did everything to minimize the impact. We were checking out on New Year's Eve morning (live in Indiana so wanted to drive home for the Eve) but I have to disagree about security with one of the other reviewers, they issued wrist bands and asked that if we stayed around late on the 31st, to wear them because of the security at each door would not allow you into the hotel without the band. Answering to the fact someone can just walk into the hotel via the parking garage, I would challenge anyone can walk into the lobby of any hotel in all the cities I've ever visited. Since we do walk around the cities we visit and stop to have coffee or cocktails to see what hotels look like and the architecture, I've never been stopped by anyone from entering a hotel through the front door and strolling the lobby. Overall, I've always been very happy with staying at the Essex, with the people, location and pricing and will continue to use this hotel when I go to Chicago.

Room Tip: If possible a room facing the park is outstanding, however, it's an east exposure, so the sun wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

If you are looking for a nice place to stay on vacation and reasonably priced, Essex Inn should not be your list of options. I booked two rooms during my stay. While the customer services staff on the desk were professional and pleasant, I was let down about many other things. I was attracted to Essex Inn for its convenient location in the downtown area and the mystique of the historical building. Upon entering the room after check-in, the room was not tidy and all power cords to every electric appliance in the room was unplugged. TV, shaggy carpet, and the appliance were outdated. Overpriced for accomodations. After my vacation, my bank had overcharged me for my rooms and I contacted the Manager/Customer Service for a copy of my bill. There was a discrepancy between the date of stay which was not correct on the time stamp from the computer on the hotel receipt. I left 4-5 messages for a manager, accountant, and controller with no return call. Two months later, I finally spoke to the manager and she told me "there was no way our computer could be wrong." Technology is programmed by human beings and she didn't seem to want to handle my problem since it may have taken too much time or was an inconvenience to her. I explained that I have documentation to prove that my dates of stay were incorrect and her arrogance or bravado that her system could not be wrong said it all to me. I lost $90.00 which I can handle. But the customer service of the upper management was poor. My guests or myself will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here at the begining of a Route 66 trip for 3 days, very central, touirist bus stops outside (just as well as could not walk at the time due to a bad ankle), parking was v expensive, but probably comparable. cosierge was very helpful. Pool was good

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chicago's Essex Inn? Share your experiences!