“Fun time in the Windy City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel

You added Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel to your Saves list
Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   162 East Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #119 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Michigan
“Fun time in the Windy City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The Inn of Chicago was clean & conveniently located. The only minor complaint about the roon was the size of the bathroom which was tiny. Check in & check out was swift & the staff was pretty friendly. The man who showed me how to use the WiFi log in could have been more congenial.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is in a great location- right off the Mag Mile, and the lobby and bar are very cute. However, the rest of the hotel is in desperate need of upgrades and a good deep cleaning. The wallpaper and paint are peeling in the rooms and common areas, the room smelled constantly damp and the AC never quite worked properly- it always blew warmish air no matter what temperature it was set to. Our bed was very clearly old, so much so you could see the mattress was at an angle when you first walked in the room, and there was a mystery black stain all over our mirror (in room 1203.) The rooftop deck was also a huge letdown- there's a beautiful view of the city up there; but it's marred by all the garbage, broken glass, beer bottles and cigarette butts that are left behind and never picked up. I only stayed for one night thankfully.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
kdswim - The skyline terrace is one of the hidden gem's at our hotel offering spectacular panoramic views of the city. It disappoints us to hear if there was garbage present on the terrace. This is completely unacceptable, and will address internally to ensure no other guest reports a similar situation moving forward. Please be assured of our best efforts to regain your confidence in us, and hope you will return for a much improved experience.
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The location of this hotel is ideal. The room was clean. The staff was friendly.
I was disappointed that the rate did not include any breakfast. I was there during a convention and my rate was just shy of $400/night. You would think this would include something.

I used the valet service and it was very convenient. As I was getting in my car to leave I double checked my receipt and discovered that I was charged an extra day of valet service. Double check your bill. I'm just glad I looked before i was on the road home.

Over all I was satisfied with my stay. For the money, there are better choices that would get you breakfast as well as other amenities.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible. Lots of street noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
indybrad- Thank you for acknowledging our convenient location and friendly staff. We apologize if you discovered a duplicate charge prior to your departure, and hope we were able to rectify this discrepancy in a timely manner. Since we are not a full-service hotel, we do not offer breakfast for our guests. However, there is a coffee and pastry shop adjacent to the hotel called LavAzza which is a great alternative.
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I did not actually stay at the Inn of Chicago. I booked a reservation via Amtrak hotels. I wanted a room for one night, but did not notice that the site had defaulted check in and check out dates for a week. Before I realized my error, I had booked a hotel room for 7 nights for close to $1000. I immediately tried to cancel the reservation but received the message that whether I canceled or not, I would not be refunded. The next day I called Orbitz and the policy was repeated to me. I explained the situation and was told I could try calling the hotel to see if they would not charge Orbitz. After a few phone calls back and forth, I asked to speak to the hotel manager, and though he said the nonrefundable policy was driven by the contract between the hotel and Orbitz, he said he would contact Orbitz to communicate that the hotel would not charge Orbitz for the reservation, and requested they refund my money. In spite of several conflicting emails from Orbitz and the Amtrak site over the course of several days stating that they could not refund my money, I received an email from the hotel assistant manager confirming that Orbitz would refund my money. Fortunately that occured today. I am grateful for the effort made by the hotel manager and assistant manager to make this happen.

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi David- That is wonderful news! Your testament reveals just how much our team goes above and beyond for our guests. We appreciate you sharing how grateful you are for the refund, and hope you decide to stay with us sometime in the near future!
Ashburn, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Booked this through Priceline. When we arrived we were given a room with ONE queen bed and told that it was a room "for people who booked using a 3rd party payer" and to "upgrade" it was a $20 charge per night. I was traveling with my 15 year old daughter and felt there wasn't much choice. The hotel was MODERATELY clean. Service was decent but by no definition was it 3 star. The location of the hotel was convenient. When I paid the additional fee per night to have 2 beds, we were then told we would have a "renovated" room. Not so. The linens were stained. The bathroom was tiny.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Hi Kelly W- We regret to learn about your disappointing experience. Please be assured that we value every one of our guests, and do everything to make sure their stay is as enjoyable as possible. It seems we fell short in delivering this basic promise to you, and for that we sincerely apologize. We will address your comments about the linens internally, and assure you it is not our standard to provide any substandard amenities to our guests.
Terrace Park, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I also got Groupon deal. I was going to Chicago and my wife found the Groupon offer. The description Groupon gave was NOT what I found. The halls had stains on the floor. I had a reservation for a suite because I was traveling with a male friend and we both snore. I expected a queen bed in a room and fold out couch in the other area. We got to the room and found it was just one room. When we mentioned this to the desk, they said their suites have the queen bed and that none of their rooms have a separate bedroom. My friend got a separate room. The hotel is just OK, but just feels rather run down.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Stefanoh,
We regret to learn if our Groupon offer did not specify that our guest rooms do not have a separate bedrooms. Please accept our apology for the confusion, and hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.
-The Inn of Chicago Team
Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed here while on vacation and have to say I was nervous before arriving because of some negative comments found here but was pleasantly surprised. All the workers at the desk were friendly, informative and professional. Was hoping to check in early due to an early flight arrival and was unable to do so but the hotel offered a bag service and stored all our luggage for us so we could enjoy to city on our first day. The location is amazing it’s within walking distance of almost everything. Has a 7 eleven, dunkin donuts, Burrito Beach and Baskin Robins across the street which were all so convenient. The hotel itself is a little older but it adds to its charm. We were on the 18th floor and had a nice view towards the Magnificent Mile and had a clean and comfortable room. The bathroom is on the smallish side but it is functional and the shower has plenty of hot water and pressure. Unfortunately the Air Conditioner kicked off more often than we would have liked but the room was still a comfortable temperature. Overall I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a clean, friendly and budget friendly place in a perfect location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear JulieatSibu,
Great comments! We are very happy to hear that our location and service exceeded expectations during your stay. Thank you for recommending us to fellow travelers, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
-The Inn of Chicago Team

Been to Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!