You added Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel to your Saves list
Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   162 East Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #119 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Springfield, Vermont
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were in town for a wedding reception and wanted our hotel to be close to things to do. We loved this hotel! It was clean and comfortable and the staff was really nice. Vic at the concierge desk was wonderful! Thanks for a great stay!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear KDKS519,
Thank you for your review and choosing the Inn of Chicago. It gives us great pleasure to read that our location was perfectly situated for your visit to Chicago. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Mississauga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Please read my other reviews and see that I am usually overwhelmingly positive. I usually know what I'm paying for and don't expect more.

I am also not pretending that my experience will be yours. In fact, this was the third time I tried to stay here, which was why I was particularly blown away with the absolutely outrageous service we received when we tried to check in to our hotel. Here is my story:

We booked our hotel months in advance and paid for it. Because of a convention in town, we were unable to book the entire week consecutively. We could come the Sunday but had to find somewhere else the Monday and Tuesday night, then come back to check in the Wednesday for the rest of the week. Fine. It's a great location and hotels were all booked. It would have to do.

We find another (amazing) place for the other two days, then show up on Wednesday to check in. We were hoping to go to Frontera Grill, which notoriously has a line up down the street 20 minutes before opening. When we arrived to check in, there was a line up out the door of the hotel that simply wasn't moving. We found out later that night, that because of a storm, flights had been cancelled and people were frantically looking for a place to stay.

Instead, we left our bags with the concierge and headed to the restaurant. We already had our reservation, so we would check out when we got back from dinner and game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs (also amazing!!). We finally come back to the hotel late at night when the crowd had finally died down and try to check in. When we get there, the lady at the front desk says that she sees our reservation, but simply doesn't have a physical room to provide us. WHAT?!

So you see our reservation? - Yes
You see that we paid for it?- Yes
You accepted our payment for a room? - Yes
But there's no room to put us in? - That's right.

So when we packed up our stuff Monday morning and left because we didn't have a reservation, should our strategy have been to dig our heels in and simply not leave?
- I can't speak for you, but we obviously can't kick people out of their room.

I'm very upset. Can I speak to your manager? - No.
So you can't help me, and you refuse to call someone who might be able to? - Yes. It's 1 am. No one will help you anyway.

I was flabbergasted.

Finally, the Inn offered us a room in another hotel. This would have been fine, except that they then wanted us to check back in for the Thursday and Friday. Back to the hotel that already forced us to pack our stuff up and leave once, wanted us to do that again, for a full three moves during a one week vacation.

We left. We went to the hotel that they found for us. We stayed there for the rest of our stay out of our pocket. We will never go to the Inn of Chicago again. Shame on them.

For the Sunday that we actually did stay, the rooms are old and not renovated recently. The air conditioner is loud and there are workers outside the door that carry two-way radios that were loud enough to wake us up. If you can get a bargain, this hotel is in a great location if you just need somewhere to crash.

For a better stay, amazing service, similar location, and similar price, I STRONGLY recommend Mile North. That hotel was everything we could have asked for and more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear dfahmy,
Thank you for your review. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. We would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
We appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. Our Hotel Manager, Nick Katinos, may be contacted at 312-573-3132, or nick.katinos@innofchicago.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service.
Pierre, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Extremely disappointing. I didn't mind the small size -- the bathroom was tiny and had the world's smallest sink. What bothered me was how old, run down, and dirty the room was -- and the stink. It smelled old, musty, dirty. There were several short hairs in the bathroom that didn't belong to me. The old wallpaper was covered in dust. I am not a germophobe, but I was reluctant to touch anything in this room. The duvet was covered by two flimsy sheets that came apart at the top where your head would be when sleeping. Luckily I didn't need covers as the ancient window unit A/C barely cooled down the room. I can't believe this hotel is rated as 3 stars. I travel to Chicago frequently on business and have stayed in many hotels -- this one was the worst yet. There are many better options in the area that really are 3 star hotels. Do yourselves a favor and pass on this one.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear doylej79,
Thank you for your review. It is extremely disappointing to hear that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Since we are categorized as a historic boutique hotel, our guest rooms have a different design compared to other newer and traditional hotels. However, we are confident that our hotel provides a unique experience for our guests. On your next return to Chicago, we hope you find accommodations that better suit your needs.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a 3 night stay at the Inn of Chicago. The rooms are small but clean and quiet and very comfortable. Our only complaint would be the small size of the sink, but otherwise there was ample room for 2 people in both the bedroom and bath. The hotel has convenient parking next door at the Marriott, though you probably want to leave your car there during the length of your stay to avoid multiple daily charges. The red line is a short 6 block walk away and you are within just a block of Michigan Avenue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JimSTL1021,
Thank you for your review and choosing to stay at the Inn of Chicago. We are glad you enjoyed our convenient location to all the Michigan Avenue sights! It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.
Be Well,
Sherman, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel has a great location at an affordable price. There were many great restaurants and plenty to do all within walking distance (coming from my wife who is 8 months pregnant!). There was a stop for the red line about 6 blocks from the hotel and several bus stops just a block away that took us to the museum campus and Navy Pier. I would highly recommend a multi-day CTA pass, it made travel easy and convenient. Most of the negative reviews seemed to be due to the size of the rooms themselves. For anyone that has done their share of hotel stays in larger cities, these rooms were on par or better (compared to average rooms in NYC, LA, San Fran). My wife also very much enjoyed the Dunkin' Donuts and 7/11 across the street for her late night cravings. If the hotel could throw in some free internet in guestrooms, we would be happy to upgrade this rating to "Excellent".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eric E,
Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on our central location and affordable hotel rates, and glad you were able to experience this firsthand. Please be aware that we do offer complimentary WiFi in the lobby of the Inn of Chicago. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your wife back again soon.
Mpls., MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

After our usual pre-travel research, and trying to keep our travel expense moderate, we came across the Inn and decided this was a pretty good bet. It was! We understood this was an older hotel, like many others, thus the rooms and bathrooms were smaller according to the period when the hotel was constructed, and widely used by many very famous people, actually. That made it all the more charming! (Although some rooms have been renovated.) The customer service was really outstanding ... ask and you shall receive! While we were too busy to enjoy the bar, it's a nice amenity on site, along with the coffee shop next door, with an entrance from the lobby. The lobby is updated, roomy and comfortable, and the doorman and bellhop were nice to have around. The location is just perfect! One block off Mag Mile, and nearby so much within walking distance we couldn't have hoped for more. I rate this a 4 because I think the housekeeping department needs to raise its bar a little higher; but don't get me wrong, the room was clean when we arrived! Just don't expect much during your stay, and some towels should go out of circulation. We would book here again, and recommend to others - which we already have!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Minnetrista,
Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our charming accommodations and outstanding customer service! Your comments about the housekeeping service will be shared with our Executive Committee, and we appreciate your honest feedback. We are happy to read that you have selected us as your preferred hotel of choice when returning to Chicago in the near future.
Be Well,
Columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

On a recent two night weekend stay, I had the chance to explore and avail myself to the amenities at this boutique inspired hotel located steps away from the Mag Mile. I booked opaque through a booking engine, and was a bit hesitant at first upon finding out that it was the Inn of Chicago. After all, who ever has heard of the place? And being so close to the action, too. Something must be wrong I thought. Well, my fears were unfounded, and I was pleasantly surprised several times during my stay.

The first surprise came when I checked in. No big crowds, easy directionals in the lobby, and a friendly, efficient staff greeted me. And this was at around three p.m., where usually in Chicago it is madness. After checking in, I made my way to room on the top 22nd floor (which I asked for in an earlier email to hotel prior to check in). The elevators are small, and a bit slow, but that is due to the age of the building. Standard back in the 30s when it was built, but small by today's standard.

Upon reaching my east facing room, i was greeted by a nice skyline view with a patch of blue Lake
Michigan out of my large windows decorated with trendy light blocking roman shades. The bed was clean, crisp and comfortable. The room was very clean and although a bit dated, well kept up.
As anyone knows, big city hotels are often very well used and the wear and tear shows. This room had a few ragged edges such as a small piece of peeling wall paper, a chip on the decorated bowl, and scuff marks on the table, overall not too bad for a busy hotel!

The roll in bathroom shower was large, the water pressure was nice and the hot water came up quickly. The only issue is they should have a larger shelf in the shower so that you could put a full sized bottle of shampoo.

The large flat panel tv was adequate, the ipod docking station and coffee pod K style maker was a nice touch. When I ordered additional coffee from the front desk, the housekeeping unit arrived in record time, and with a smile.

The room was quiet, and I slept very well, despite it being a busy hockey playoff weekend.

Day teo found me grilling the bell hop about the neighborhood, and after getting several good tips for entertainment, I walked out and quickly grabbed a cab for a fun filled day in the city.

Upon my return I treated myself to a cool frosty beer in the lobby at the Inn bar, a small corner lounge area that is ideal for people watching, or meeting up with friends. The lobby has comfy furniture throughout and the piped in techno house music waves through the place providing a clubby, intimate and trendy feel.

After an adult beverage, I made my way to the 22nd floor roof top terrace where guests are treated to a stunning view of Michigan and Ohio avenues. From this great vantage point you can see the famous buildings on the Mag Mile, and if you're lucky you can catch the sunset. The only awkward thing is that there are two roof top terrace rooms that open directly onto the terrace, so guests staying in those rooms will have to keep their drapes drawn to avoid prying eyes, and terrace visitors who may want to come in and use their bathroom! Yikes.

Now, for all the reviewers on here who complain about the size of the bathrooms and room sizes, you must understand that this hotel was built in the 30's and these are standard size rooms for that period. And as this hotel bills itself as a period boutique hotel, that should be expected. Most hotels this size and of this period share this in common across the country. If you want large, generic and classless room, in a big impersonal hotel with thousands of rooms, where you stand in line for an hour to check in and check out, then you would better off staying elsewhere. If you want personal service, a more unique stay in a historic building, then come here.

So to make your stay more enjoyable, be sure to ask for a non adjoining room, facing east or south and as high as possible. There are two room types, contemporary and traditional. I prefer the contemporary. Due to the smaller room sizes, the beds may be a bit smaller than usual, but always adequate. And if there any concerns about your room assignment or stay, be sure to call the front desk right away. They will be more than willing to help make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

The wifi should be free, I agree with other posters, but that would only increase the costs of these already affordable rooms.

Bottom line: Enjoyable, comfortable, great low price, excellent location, super friendly staff, and a historic building. I would have no problem booking here again. Follow my advice and you will have a great stay

Room Tip: Request contemporary room, facing east or south, highest floor possible, non adjoining. Splurge on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear bayvaa,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comprehensive review with us. We are happy to read that you had a seamless check-in experience at the Inn of Chicago. Glad you enjoyed the lake and skyline views from your 22nd floor guest room. We are very pleased to hear that you appreciated our historic and unique charm. This aspect definitely sets us apart from the rest of the pack! It gives us great pleasure to hear that you will book your stay with us again in the near future.
Guest Services

Been to Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!