“Beautiful, Impressive Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel to your Saves list
The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sale! Save up to 20% Off
Ranked #26 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful, Impressive Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed at the Blackstone for 4 nights for a conference this November. The first thing that struck me was the gorgeous lobby and the helpful front desk staff. Room was spacious and clean. Bed was very comfortable, however the train runs one block behind hte hotel and it was a bit loud for me as I am a light sleeper. I was originally in a room toward the back of the hotel where the noise from the train wasn't bearable and they moved me immediately when I complained. Great restaurant, Mercat a la Planxa is connected to the hotel (run by Iron Chef Jose Garces) although it is a bit expensive. Hotel also has a good fitness center and is very close to Lake Michigan. The Gage restaurant about 5 blocks north on South Michigan Ave was a great restaurant; definitely check it out if you are staying there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

904 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Let me start by saying that I adore Chicago- It is a fabulous city. And this trip marked my second time being there. My first time there was incredible, so this second trip needed to measure up...and it did!

About the Blackstone:

Check-in: I had requested two queen beds, unfortunately they didn't have that available so my friend and I were given a king room instead. It ended up being great! Our room had a stunning view of Grant park, Lake Michigan, some of the downtown buildings and Navy Pier (bonus: we got to see the fireworks that were on Saturday night). Obviously, my friend and I had to share the bed, but it was large enough that it felt as if we had our on beds.

Room: PROS- Super clean, large bathroom, comfortable beds, mini fridge (not a bar fridge with things to buy in it, an empty fridge!)
CONS- The bathroom door-- it slides, but when someone walks by they can see it. Not private enough. The drawer space was minimal.

Parking: EXPENSIVE!!! If you are driving in, there are other parking lots near the hotel (on Balbo) that are about $12 a day...a far cry from $47. Look into it.

Staff: The valets and doormen are quite friendly and there is always some there to fetch you a cab. The concierges were o-k. Not as friendly or upbeat, or even as knowledgeable as other ones I have spoken to in Chicago. It was kind of a let down for me. Cleaning staff was very friendly.

Location: It depends on what is happening in the city because the location can be amazing or just "meh." I prefer to be closer to Magnificent Mile/North Loop ( which is more central to a lot of things, whereas the Blackstone is South Loop area. But
keep in mind that this hotel is super close to Buckingham fountain and a short walk to Millennium Park.

Some other things to keep in mind...

-We found that there was a lot of commotion on the street- honking and sirens etc. For some that might be annoying, you may want to ask for a room that doesn't face the street...but it didn't bother me- after all Chicago is a busy city, so that kind of noise is expected.

-There is a Starbucks connected to the hotel which is quite convenient.

- They have computers by the front desk that offer free internet (printers available too).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

the entire hotel (from rooms to lobby) was very modern, clean and classy. the jose garces restaurant in the hotel is fantastic (mercat a la planxa). the rooms were spacious and we felt comfortable. the location could not be better, it's right alongside grant park. would love to stay here again and would recommend to others to do the same.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Check-in was a breeze. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The bed provided the best sleep EVER! The noise level was amazing -- heard no one and was able to sleep soundly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

First off let me preface my review by sharing 2 important details: I'm a Marriott Rewards Gold Member (about to be platinum) and I booked my room on a prepaid rate plan direct with Marriott. So while there were large blocks of hotel rooms reserved for a huge trade show that was in town the 3rd week of September, it seems like they treated me differently. I paid less than $200 for 1 night's stay and they upgraded me to a suite on the top floor with corner views of Lake Michigan and the Chicago skyline. I was truly floored. I would have to think a room like that normallly goes for $750 a night or maybe more. They had little TVs imbedded into the mirror in the bathroom and a skylight with a remote control retractable shade (for sleeping, which I didn't figure out until the next morning, oh well). So it was probably just my lucky day and I'm sure there is no guarantee anybody would ever get that room at that price again, but it sure made my extremely brief business trip much more pleasant and enjoyable. I would definitely return again. Surely even the smaller rooms must not be too far off.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I spend a fair amount of time at Marriott properties so I was looking forward to returning to the Blackstone. My last stay here was a very comfortable room overlooking the lake. I swear it was in this hotel but you would never know it from my current experience. If anyone assigns you to room 1709, pick up you bags and head across the street to the Hilton. The room is small and cramped. The housekeeping entourage arrives early in the morning and will actually surpass the sound of the elevated running outside your window. Did I mention the ice machine? So if you are Marriott gold you might think you will have access to the concierge floor to get away from all this noise and clastrophobic conditions..........think again because I am, and I didn't. Instead, I had the to entertain myself by imagining that the water tower or whatever structure that was next to the vacant lot outside my window was actually retro "Petticoat Junction" Oh yeah, and cell service.......forget it. This tip....need to make a business call on your cell? Try the alcove outside of Starbucks because every other location in this hotel either has music blaring or doesn't have reception. As for staying here? Never again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

We attended a n out of town wedding at the Blackstone. The wedding was at the Fourth Presbyterian Church on Michigan Ave. The reception was at the Blackstone and the room and food were wonderful. The room where the reception was held reminded me of Versailles with mirrored doors that opened at night to Grant Park. We stayed at the Blackstone and liked our room much more than the Hilton, across the street, where we stayed two weeks before for a convention. At the Blackstone you are across from Grant Park and you can walk to the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and the Planetarium. Friday night before the wedding, we went to the roof of the Wit hotel for drinks and had dinner at the Cibo Matto. The roof was fun but the food at Cibo Matto was just OK.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!