“A Chicago classic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel

You added The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel to your Saves list
The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #25 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Dulles, Virginia
“A Chicago classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I can see why this legendary hotel earned kudos with the likes of former US Presidents, Al Capone and other famous figures choose this place.

Stayed January 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Ive stayed at more than half of all the Renaissance hotels around the world and I think this is my favorite.

PROS:

Gorgeous building
Everything is new
Comfy beds
Quiet rooms
Wonderful restaurant - Mercat
Super nice staff
Best workout room I have seen in the city

CONS:

Not the best location in town. Its right on Grant Park but a bit far from the "heart" of the city which is typically thought of as north of the river.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, IL USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I was leaving for London early the next morning, and booked this based on TripAdvisor Reviews. As my cab rounded the corner, I noted nothing super special about the building. That being said, this was THE NICEST HOTEL I have ever stayed in within the city of Chicago. The lobby is FABULOUS! It's all this things I love to see after a long day of working in the loop! It was dark, with a roaring fire, soft, but contemporary music, and the decor was AWESOME. I was very very pleasantly surpised, as many Chicago hotels do not live up to their claims. The check in was all of 5 minutes, and during those 5 minutes, the front desk person chatted with me and was unbelievably approchable. The elevators were even worth mentioning! Seriously. When I made it to my room, the word that comes to mind is STUNNING. The room was immaculate. The decor was casual, funky, classic all in one. The beds were SUPER comfortable! I really didn't want to make my dinner and shopping date because the beds were SO POSH! The upscale shopping on Michigan Ave. is a short ba ride away, or even a long walk away when the weather is nice. But who can afford that anyway? State Street Shopping is a few blocks over, and my personal choice. And the bathroom was STELLAR! The floors are marble. It's HUGE! And the shower was heaven! I still can't believe I have the pleasure of typing this about a hotel room in my city! The only thing I can say was difficult was the TV remote. But by 10pm, I had it mastered as well! :) I actually called my friend in London and asked him to come here to check out the hotel! I plan to stay again for a Valentines weekend in the city! The real treat is this room only set me back $115 USD! Fabulous! Unfortunately, my BlackBerry with photos is somewhere amoung one of the many security checkpoints, so I have no photos to upload. Darn it!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I could not have been any happier with my choice of the Blackstone! Whenever I go back to Chicago this will be my number one choice to stay!

The hotel is not too far from public transport...about a ten minute walk from the Red Line (we could have just hopped on a bus but decided to walk instead.)

Upon entering the hotel we felt like we were taken back to the roaring 20's. The lobby is very dark, atmospheric.. definitely has a very retro feel to it.

The room was a little on the small side but BEAUTIFULLY decorated. I absolutely fell in love with the bathroom though as a previous reviewer said, the bathroom doors slide out of the wall and are not wide enough so that when you close the bathroom door all the way, there is an inch wide gap through which you can see into the bathroom. We had a wonderful view of Chicago from our room (and we weren't even in an upgraded room)

Great location... Michigan avenue and a short walk to both Millennium Park and Buckingham Fountain.

We did not visit the bar/restaurant or order room service but the front desk agents were very welcoming and personable.

All in all this is a great choice, albeit a place I would mostly recommend to couples, groups of friends travelling... would not really recommend to families with children.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stayed here in July with my husband and my sister & her family. My sister had a suite, while we had a regular room. The furnishings were great - contemporary and minimal, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was newly renovated (love the rain showerhead!). The one thing I didn't like about the bathroom - the door to the bathroom was a pocket door (ie. it slides into the wall). Its great to conserve space, however the door didn't close all the way. There's a little crack which you can see through to the room (about an inch gap). Not a huge issue if its just you and your partner. But might be a little awkward if you were to share the room with friends. There's also free Wi-Fi in the lobby.

The building's architecture is beautiful (as are most buildings in Chicago). Its located not too far from Millenium Park. Its a 15min walk to Museum Campus and perhaps a 30-40min leisurely and scenic walk to the Pier (the children's museum is awesome) and Magnificent Mile. The Blackstone is a great location for families with kids - its close to the action but not too close. Across the street at the park, they have free open air salsa concerts in the summer.

The tapas restaurant downstairs (the name escapes me) was excellent, albeit a little pricey. There's a Starbucks downstairs (if you're into that) and a few decent brunch places within a 4 block radius.

Overall I thought it was a great introduction to Chicago. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

Stay as long as you possibly can. Extend you stay if you can.

• Stayed January 2010
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

The Blackstone was easy to get to from Union Station, just a few blocks. Not even a bad walk on a brutally cold winter day. The location is also close to many Chicago landmarks and attractions, like Willis Tower, the Art Institute, the aquarium, planetarium... The lobby was impressive. It was dark, had a very retro/vintage look with random hints of modern updates. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was beautiful. Extremely comfortable bed, marble floors, the room decor I believe is unmatched by any hotel in downtown Chicago. The price was very reasonable for the room. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!