“Good service, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel

You added The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel to your Saves list
The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Birmingham, Michigan
“Good service, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed here using Priceline's Name Your Price service and saved a bundle. Staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Lobby is gorgeous, but rooms are small, especially with a King-sized bed. The bathroom in my room was very avant-garde and European-flavored -- stand-up shower with a fixed glass pane rather than a curtain. Great location, convenient to the Red Line train and 3 or 4 Bus lines.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Hi Joel,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review! So happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to your liking! I hope that you will visit us again soon!
Kim C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Just got back from a long weekend in Chicago. Had a rather uneven experience at the Blackstone. When we checked in on Saturday evening, the front desk clerk with whom we dealt was uncommunicative, cold and barely looked us in the eye as she recited the opening hours of the coffee shop, health club and bar/restaurant. We didn't exactly feel warmly welcomed! The bellman, on the other hand, deposited our luggage and subsequently remembered us and greeted us warmly every time we saw him. Room was super comfortable and fairly clean, but I agree with some of the other comments on this site about the thin towels. There are also an inadequate number of towels provided for two people - but housekeeping is very quick to bring extras. If you are the kind of people who like to have a nightcap in the lounge of your hotel before turning in, don't stay here. The lounge was empty and closed early when we were there. Probably the most annoying element of our trip was a phone call that we got at 8.50 on Monday morning from the housekeeping staff asking when we were going to be out of our room so that it could be serviced because the housekeeper "didn't want to miss us". She asked when the "do not disturb" hanger was going to be removed from our door. I travel a lot, and that has literally never ever happened to me before! My travelling companion was very put out at having to get out of bed and get dressed on a leisure trip - but we went about a block down Michigan Ave to the right out of the hotel and found a GREAT French bistro called something like MJ (I think it was in the Essex hotel?) for brunch with delicious food and great service that I would highly recommend. The location of the hotel is not bad - it's across from a beautiful park, but we'll stay a little closer to the Mag Mile next time. And hopefully the next time we visit Chicago, we won't get rousted from our beds before 9 am when we're travelling for pleasure!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow, I am so sorry about your experience with housekeeping! I can assure you that what you experience is NOT standard operating procedure and we will definitely follow up!
I appreciate your candor and glad that you at least found a few things good about the hotel. I hope that you will give us another chance to make a better impression!
Please let me know the next time you come to Chicago!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We took the train for a getaway to Chicago, so we wanted to stay somewhere downtown that was close to the L and bus lines. The Blackstone was excellent. The building itself is gorgeous and is within walking distance to Grant park, many restaurants and mass transit. The amenities are first class and the staff was very helpful. We arrived early, and they stored our luggage (free of charge) so we could go sightseeing unencumbered. One minor thing - the bathroom had a sliding frosted door, with a small gap between the door and the wall, so privacy was limited. Not a big deal because I was traveling with my partner of 12 years, but it could be uncomfortable in some circumstances. Overall, we had an excellent time and could not have asked for a better hotel!

Room Tip: There are rooms overlooking the lake - which we did not have because we booked via Price line and go...
Hi Elizabeth,
thank you so very much for your excellent review! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and thrilled that you thought the staff was helpful.
There are a lot of choices of hotels in Chicago and I am glad you were able to stay here.
san francisco,ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

After moving from W hotel at the lakeshore drive, we found the staff super great, the service perfect.
It is across the street from Grant park, 20 minutes south of river, 10 minutes to millinum park and there are several cafes at walking distance, there are nice restaurants walking distance as well.
The lobby is gorgeous, rooms are decent size, they have coffee machine, safe and fridge in room.
The housekeeping is amazing, with first phone call they deliver what you asked for in a few minutes...

Room Tip: It is a little far from the north side, you need to walk 20 minutes to get to the river. If you are...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Barneshi! thank you very much for writing a review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be quite convenient, but especially happy that you thought the staff was outstanding!
I will definitely share your comments with our team. Although the hotel is awesome, it wouldn't be anything without the great group of individuals we have working here!
I hope that you will visit us again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My best friend paid for us to stay here for a night. I must say this hotel might be small but it is simple beautiful. Our room wasn't what we asked for we wanted a room with double beds however we ended up with a room with a king bed but it worked out fine since my friend and I are both small women. Lol but we did have a great view. The washroom was so pretty I really like the wallpaper and the shower was amazing it had a great overhead shower jet. Awesome. I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Tammy,
Happy Birthday!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you loved the hotel and enjoyed your birthday! I am sorry that we weren't able to provide a room with two beds, but in the summer, especially, there are more requests for them than what we have! I hope you will return and visit us again soon.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here for our National convention for work. This is a smaller hotel and quite nice. Staff is very friendly and helpful. My business credit card exceeded its limit but the staff was accommodation and helped us through the process.

The rooms were nice and spacious and the location was good even though it was close to the south side. This is like the southern end of the north side if that makes any sense. State Street is behind the hotel and has tons of shops and restaurants. There is plenty to see and do near the hotel. Soldier field is just a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room wit ha view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Hi Milton919!
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review! I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel and found the location to be convenient and near a lot of interesting things.
I hope that you will visit us again soon.
Huntington, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

I went on a business trip with my husband and we stayed at this hotel. The lobby takes you back quite a few years when you first walk inside. The check in went smooth and everyone was very friendly. We had no trouble with housekeeping during our stay. We had room service and we ate in the restaurant & bar area. It was all great. My husband goes every year here but it was my first visit. We would like to take our grand daughter next year but I am not sure if the restaurant would have enough "kid friendly" foods for her. For adults, it is definitely a good place to stay!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hi LeslieS -
What fun! So glad you could accompany your husband and enjoy a few days in Chicago! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again. The restaurant does have some "kid food" selections and I'm sure would accommodate any special requests.
See you soon!