“Good experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel

You added The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel to your Saves list
The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #29 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We were greeted often with smiles. Felt very comfortable with a clean and contemporary room. I noticed our shower light bulb went out (small matter), and it worked after the housekeeping visit. I liked the general historic feel of hotel's decor yet it was very modern. Within walking distance of the Field Museum and Soldiers Field.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Hi Adam C,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review!
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and glad that you found the location to be convenient! As you know its right across from Grant Park and is really in a lovely spot.
We hope that you will visit us again soon.
Kim C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have stayed at many Marriott hotels but this was my first at a Renaissance property. Check in was easy and the staff was very friendly, my room was much larger than most hotels. The property was in excellent shape and very nice. The location is great across the street from the park and just down the street from Soldier Field. The only downside was the internet, VERY SLOW. For someone who might be here on business that would be a concern.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hello John Trish -
Thanks so much for writing a review on the Blackstone! So happy that you enjoyed the property and that you enjoyed the Renaissance Brand.
Our internet is being upgraded as I write this and we hope to have it totally installed and completed by the first week in November!
Please come back and visit us again soon.
Barrington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a nice, smallish (about 350 rooms) hotel in a great location. It seemed more like a boutique hotel than I expected. The rooms and experience were down a notch or two from most other Renaissances at which we have stayed. Elites do not seem to be very special here. As a Gold elite, an “upgrade” meant that we were given a room on the 8th floor with a great view. The room was average size and not special except for the view. It had some odd features, including a sliding translucent door to the bathroom, a shower stall that was half totally open, and some of the weirdest light switches we’ve ever seen (first few times we used switches the lights came back on after a few seconds…. the bellman neglected to warn /train us!). The TV was a smallish flat screen (32 inch?) on the wall. The beds were great and there were lot of flat surfaces and electric outlets. Wi-Fi was free to elites and was fine. The room service steak and fries was surprisingly good and reasonably priced…but delivered only luke warm. The executive lounge was fine, but had very limited selections (but included bacon & eggs in the morning and what they did have seemed to be of excellent quality) and ran out of some things very early both in the evening and morning (We were told that less than the normal amounts were there because they expected less than normal demand…even though hotel was fully booked both days). At breakfast you had to ask for yogurt, since they did not have the facilities to put it out (apparently they never heard of putting in a large iced bowl like other hotels do). It was also understaffed (just one person while we there…we were told that there is supposed to be two, but one had been out sick for some time. A better run hotel would have found a substitute). Billing also was weird: we received two separate bills, one in my name & one in wife’s name, each billed to a different credit card and each half the total charge. The clerk at check -out told us that this was the new policy of the Renaissance chain! She apologized for the problems but offered nothing else (other hotels usually offer at least frequent stay points); having paid almost $300/night we thought that this response was lacking. If you do not value elite privileges and do not mind paying about $300/night, you probably will like this hotel. We expected special and did not get it. We regularly stay in Chicago, but this was probably last time we ever will stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hi Traveling Doc,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! I am so sorry that you did not feel special nor feel as if you received the elite benefits that you are used to. With our property, the view is generally the fabulous thing that we can upgrade our elite members to, so I'm sorry you didn't find that to be special.
Your other comments have certainly been shared with the team in order to make changes to the way that we do things. We absolutely value our all of our guests and especially our Marriott customers so thank you for choosing us.
Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Lobby was beautiful to walk into , greeted by attentive, pleasant staff. The room was clean , well decorated and quiet. Great location near many attractions and easy transportation access.Really a nice experience all the way around. Would stay again on next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Tina P -
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we really appreciate the feedback! I am thrilled that you found the staff to be pleasant and attentive. We try to make sure that we hire the right people that enjoy hospitality!
I hope to be able to welcome you back again some day.
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Let me rephrase that. You can pay $12 for the Internet, but that doesn't mean it will work. Stayed a week and couldn't even check my email. Had to write everything on my droid phone, which worked fine but I prefer to use a full keyboard.

The hotel is beautiful. The lobby, gorgeous. And it is well cared for. Not a spec of dust anywhere. My room was perfect, with a view of the park and (in the distance) the fountain shown in the beginning credits of "Married, With Children".

The bathroom is marble, awesome gravity shower, great actually functional toilet, and I liked the sliding glass door to it. Comfy towels and a robe (though I didn't use it). Also a safe in the closet.

My room had a nice work area with plugs on the top of the desk, a reading light, and wired Internet plug (though, as I said earlier, the network didn't work). The TV was large, flat screen, with a good number of channels though a lot of them were news.

The bed was comfortable and the AC worked great. Though I could hear police sirens once in a while, and a road construction crew one afternoon, it was otherwise pretty quiet. Not much sound from my neighbors.

Getting a Taxi was easy. Took 2 seconds for the doorman to call one over.

There is a Dunkin' Donuts a block away and I went every day I was there. There is also a Starbucks as well. There are several nearby restaurants and the park is across the street.

If it wasn't for the poor (though expensive) Internet, it would have been a great stay. At these prices, you have to have a working network. Heck, even the taco bar 2 blocks away had a working network. And it was free. If you are going to charge $12/day * 30 days = $360/room/month you should be able to get really good speeds. My 1 GB fiber for my business cost less than that.

Room Tip: Higher floors will help you see over the trees lining the park.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HI Chris B,
Thanks for all the terrific feedback you have provided in your review! We really appreciate you taking the time.
I am sorry about the internet connection and speed - we are in the process of updating the system as I write this and are expecting it to be complete by the end of the October. Unfortunately, with guests staying and using multiple devices that use band width, we have had to have another fiber cable pulled to the hotel to in order to provide consistent speed.
Please let me know when you come back to Chicago, we would love to have you give it another try!
thanks very much,
Kim C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel during a company conference, seems to be a more upscale hotel and I can't say anything on value as I didnt pay for it. Staff is very friendly and helped me with set up the presentation room AV.

One major complaint were the internet speeds in both the conference room and hotel room. If your just checking email no big deal. If your trying to connect to VPN, RDP's or any media I would not consider this hotel. Speeds are below 1mbps download and .25mbps upload speeds. Connectivity is intermittent in the rooms.

Otherwise its a great hotel in a good location!

• Stayed September 2013
HI Argonaut!
I am so sorry that the internet was an issue for your stay! We are in the process of pulling a new 100 mg cable into this historic building so that we can upgrade our entire system and be able to handle multiple devices for our guests. I am though, happy that you enjoyed the other aspects of the property and really appreciate you taking the time to write a review.
I look forward to welcoming you back once this upgrade is complete later this month.
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great location right across from Grant Park and within walking distance of many good restaurants and attractions. The room was clean and comfortable. Nice shower. Quality bed and linens. The front desk staff was extremely friendly. The only negatives were surprisingly cheap bath towels and horrific in-room coffee. Hardly detracted from an otherwise very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: I'm a light sleeper so I asked (and was given) a room away from the elevators and other possibly...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi SoxFanin NYC -
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! I imagine by your name that you come to Chicago quite often! I hope that we can welcome you back again, soon. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the property, the location and all that we have to offer.
Go SOX!
Kim C

Been to The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!