“Love the Blackstone - Quaint and Convenient!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel to your Saves list
The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sale! Save up to 20% Off
Ranked #27 of 167 hotels in Chicago
San Jose, California
“Love the Blackstone - Quaint and Convenient!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Booked the Blackstone on Marriott Points as my youngest and I were in town for him to tour UIC and U Chicago. The location is super convenient to anything you need to get to in the Loop. The room was well appointed and you could see the lake from the windows. Kelly from the Concierge desk was terrific, she gave us coupons for Lou Malnati's Pizza (see my review) and the John Hancock Tower. We loved the close feel of the Hotel and it's incredibly ornate lobby. Truly a Hotel of Presidents.

Room Tip: Get a room on the South side so you can see the Lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

907 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Wife and I stayed for 5 nights at the hotel in September and had a great time. Located across from Grant Park where you can cross to get to Lake Michigan or go north to the Navy Pier. A short walk up Michigan avenue and you were at the beginning of the Magnificent Mile. We did not eat at the Hotel as there is so much great food in Chicago. The rooms were very nice...ours overlooked the park.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gdansk, Pomorskie, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a really nice hotel, beautiful rooms, perfect service. From the hotel you can just walk to downtown hotel, spend some time in the nearby park or walk along the lake to the Navy Pier. A perfect place to have a good time in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is my second weekend stay in this hotel, and this time I was here for a running event. I am very pleased with the hotel. This time I got a corner room and it is very quiet. I was able to get my work down and rest at the same time. If the hotel can guarantee this type of comfort every time I stay, then I'll gladly pledge loyalty.

Location wise is probably not at the top but they are close to the part. I'm a runner so this is the perfect spot. I can't really comment on the food variety that's available but there are enough within walking distance.

Compared to other Renaissance hotels I have stayed (Shanghai, Houston, Dallas, Bangkok, and others, can't remember them all), this is in the top three, and I would say #1 in the North American personal ranking so far.

Room Tip: The best room I had was the corner room, away from elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Grand Haven, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night so we could see a musical at the Bank of America theater downtown. It's walking distance (5 blocks) from the theater and near restaurants - we had a great lunch at the Berghoff. It's a pretty hotel that has been nicely renovated. I got my room through Priceline, so I think I paid a fair price, since our room was pretty small. But I did send an email (actually several emails and a fax before someone actually responded to me) asking if we could have a city view room, since from other reviews the "courtyard" views looked pretty dismal. We got one, and it was fine, my photos show what you can expect for a city view... we liked it...but the windows were oddly placed. Probably because it's such an old building.

The room was stylish and super-clean with a very comfortable bed...and all in all we had a good stay.

Room Tip: If you can get someone to respond to you, as for a city view, you pay $40 more for a lake view; if t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were seeking a south loop hotel near Grant Park, and this met all of our requirements and more. It's an older hotel, updated. Neat lobby that is mostly original. In the rooms one can't tell it is an older hotel; very contemporary. I'd rate it higher but the valet parking at $55/day seemed high, and for-charge Internet service is a hassle. Otherwise, no complaints. The hotel is right across the street from Grant Park, so the location was great. Easy walk to many restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The lobby and ballroom are extremely pretty. My room was modern and attractive, and large compared to other hotels I have stayed at in Chicago. The bathroom was fabulous, with a spacious shower and double sinks. I had a TV in my bathroom mirror, which was cool, but the channels weren't the same as the regular TV so I gave up on it. I heard that all rooms did not have the bathroom TV. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows.

The executive lounge had a great breakfast, if you're eligible. It was a tad small to just hang out in, but their scrambled eggs and fancy coffee maker were a great start to my morning.

The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. They had extra personal care products, which was great since I managed to forget both deoderant and a hairbrush.

I took CTA both to and from the airport. The hotel was close to a station that went to Midway and to a station that went to Ohare.

My only complaint was that there were only 3-4 elevators and they were slow during peak times. That is typical of an old building with over 20 floors though. It certainly was not unbearable - but try for a top or low floor and not a middle floor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!