“Beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel

You added The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel to your Saves list
The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, GA
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The lobby and ballroom are extremely pretty. My room was modern and attractive, and large compared to other hotels I have stayed at in Chicago. The bathroom was fabulous, with a spacious shower and double sinks. I had a TV in my bathroom mirror, which was cool, but the channels weren't the same as the regular TV so I gave up on it. I heard that all rooms did not have the bathroom TV. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows.

The executive lounge had a great breakfast, if you're eligible. It was a tad small to just hang out in, but their scrambled eggs and fancy coffee maker were a great start to my morning.

The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. They had extra personal care products, which was great since I managed to forget both deoderant and a hairbrush.

I took CTA both to and from the airport. The hotel was close to a station that went to Midway and to a station that went to Ohare.

My only complaint was that there were only 3-4 elevators and they were slow during peak times. That is typical of an old building with over 20 floors though. It certainly was not unbearable - but try for a top or low floor and not a middle floor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Visiting Chicago with my wife and decided to stay here due to the good reviews. The 55.00 per day parking was a sticker shock. Fortunately we found reasonable parking around the corner. We were put into a handicap room and found that rather odd but oh well. The fun began when we tried to get some sleep. All night long we heard the elevators banging like a construction site. The noise was not from the opening and closing of the doors but from a mechanical thing above the elevator. It sounds like being in a weight room...weights banging non stop. We requested a fan which was gladly granted by the front desk. Unfortunately the fan running at full blast did not help prevent us from hearing the banging. I asked if others complained about the elevators and the front desk said that you hear more noise on the upper floors. We were on the 22nd floor in the room closest to the elevators. So avoid room 2214 at all cost. At this point we have requested a room change and will know this afternoon if there is availability. If there is none we will probably forfeit our room and go elsewhere. We will report back later today.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Northumberland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Recently stayed for 4 nights. Hotel is a local institution - Grand entrance lobby fantastic detail in the historic building but the rooms are modern and stylish. I had a corner room with city views (and a view of the lake -just). As with a Marriott spotlessly clean with a great bed. Bathroom was large with a walk in double shower. Staff were friendly and efficient. Only minor niggle is the excutive lounge is locked at 10pm - so no ability to get a bottle of water late at night. Location is great as well opposite Millenium Park/Grant Park. Eay walking to shopping and restaurants or a $10 will get you almost anywhere in the center. definitely high on my list of Marriotts to stay at.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Carbondale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I first stayed here for NYE '12 with my girlfriend, best friend and his fiance. I had requested an upper level floor for the view and, "Wow!" did we get the view. When my best friend and his fiance came to see our room their jaws dropped. We had a view of Buckingham Fountain and Lake Michigan. We returned 6 months later and I had requested the same room due to the view; however, it was unavailable. The concierge assured me that although slightly smaller I would not be disappointed with what he could offer me on the same floor. Upon arriving to the room we were taken away by our portrait-like view of Lake Michigan and Navy Pier (it was a night that featured fireworks+++). If you get a chance, stay here!

Room Tip: Request upper floor (19th floor is an excellent choice)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Love every minute of my stay.
Great Staff , very clean rooms and amazing location . I stayed in room 1908 and I loved the lake view.
The concierge really went the extra mile and even gave us tickets to a Museum.
Thank you to everybody and we will be back to our new home in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have stayed at the Blackstone many times on business, and this past weekend I stayed for a family wedding. As always, the service was impeccable. The staff are wonderful - particularly Rory, our bellman. We saw him throughout our trip, he was very helpful, always willing to go the extra mile, and always had a cheerful remark when we saw him. The room was wonderful and the the beds are very comfortable. All of the rooms are a bit different, so I would recommend paying a bit extra for a view of Lake Michigan. In general, those rooms tend to be a bit larger, and the view is spectacular. The rooms with a view tend to be better than those on the Club Floor (unless of course you can get a view on the Club Floor). There is some beautiful architecture, and while an old building, the rooms are completely updated. The lobby is smaller than you would expect. The Mercat is a lovely restaurant, and quite well known in Chicago. There is a Starbucks and small casual bistro type of restaurant downstairs for a quick lunch or breakfast. The Blackstone is a bit south of the common shopping areas on Michigan Avenue, and you can walk it, but it can be a bit longer than some people prefer. You are a short walk from Grant Park and Buckingham Fountain. You can see the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and Soldier Field from the hotel. I was born and raised in the Chicago area, though I haven't lived there for many years. The Blackstone is one of my favorite places to stay when I return to the city, and it doesn't disappoint!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Beautiful place, gorgeous lobby, check in easy and staff very friendly. Rooms are spotless and roomy, the hallways and elevators are exquisite. Great bed, sheets and pillows were wonderful, best view in the city of any hotel. From our room, 1621, we could see the Navy Pier, Buckingham Fountain, Field Museum, Soldier Field, Shedd Aquarium, and the Lake! Unbelievable, my wife and I did not want to leave. Great Tappas Restaurant in the hotel, check it out. Out the front door and turn right (South) there is a great restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner called Brasserie. about two blocks down.. ..exellent food great service and very reasonable. Beats the Yolk restaurant for breakfast by a mile! Avoid Bennigans on Michigan.

Room Tip: Call as your reservation gets near and upgrade to room with a view. Cost me an extra 30 a night wort...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!