I stayed at Blackstone for a wedding. I booked the room 6 weeks in advance with the "wedding planner" & was given the "wedding party rate". I asked for a double bed room being there were 3 "sisters" staying in room together. I was told there were no double bed rooms available, only king & I'd have to wait upon check-in IF a double was avail. Weeks before our stay, I called & asked for a double room, replied to their automated email reminder of booking (anything they can do for us? Extra towels, pillows, etc??) with the same double room request - else roll-a-way if stuck w/king bed - always told - no double rooms available... gotta wait until check in.
I get to hotel, PRE-register @ 11:30am... asked for double bed room....nope - none - zip. I asked if I'm stuck w/King - I'll need a roll-a-way. The check-in clerk responded as if he was looking right through me, saying there's a "convention in town, I'll make sure you'll get a roll-a-way." Later @4pm, checked in... asked for double bed room, mentioned the "wedding party"...nope, same response, blankly stated "all double rooms taken....there's a convention in town, etc.... no mention of roll-a-way - so I had to ask AGAIN for the roll-a-way for the King room. Meanwhile, my brother was checking in - who booked his room the night before.... HE GOT A DOUBLE BED ROOM.
Peeved, I took my issue to the father of the bride (who was shelling out huge $$ for the wedding at the Blackstone) - who immediately went to the "stone-faced - scripted "convention in town" excuse of a clerk.... Father of Bride discussed issue w/check-in clerk, dropped the "event planners name" - and WA-LA - suddenly, they had a double room available.
Upon arrival of room.... Father of Bride & me examined room for "completeness, (it truely had TWO double beds) cleaniness, etc..." & deemed it acceptiable. Upon use of the room..... we found only ONE skinny bar of soap to be used for sink and shower..... no top sheet on either bed... only down comforter and fitted sheet. I was suspious if they even changed the sheets. VIEW was crap of a view of other hotel room windows, skimpy towels, and they charged $5 per 1 liter bottle water that was placed next to the 1 cup per use coffee maker. How tacky (and tricky).
Sure, they had marble bath room counters & floor, marble tops on night stand, a valet dresser, crappy shower head (no water pressure) - big deal. The bed firmness was no better than a moderate priced hotel. No place to put your suitcase (other than the OPEN shelved dresser - which only can hold a overnight size case).
The final offense, the (meh) check-in clerk... only activited ONE room card. We discovered the other card was not activated when trying to get into the room..... having to wake the sister who used the "activated card" and was already in bed, sound asleep. We pounded on the door to no avail.... finally a maintenance man walked by, asking if we needed help..... he tried the key.... nope.... he walkie - talkies someone - who didn't know what to do.... finally I suggested he use the floor "house phone" to contact front desk.... who then called the room - to wake my sister.... who then opened the door. No one offered to send up a "activated key card". They had no problem calling the room - waking a "guest". As a "professional hospitality business" - you would think the notion of reactivating a key card & immediately running it up to us - without disturbing a guest would be something they would suggest first.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Hotel Chicago
- Renaissance Hotel Blackstone
- Renaissance Chicago
- Chicago Renaissance
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rediscover a legend with the revival of historic Blackstone, A Renaissance Hotel in Chicago! Meticulously restored to its original grandeur, the acclaimed Blackstone Hotel is back with 332 unique and luxurious guestrooms. Once hailed as "the premier hotel of Chicago", we are eager to welcome you back to this Landmark, and share a story or two with you from our rich history. What will be your story? The Blackstone. How Chicago. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Priceline, Otel, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Venere, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.