“Great soul food with a twist!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of TABLE fifty-two

TABLE fifty-two
52 W Elm St, Chicago, IL 60610 (Near North Side)
(312) 573-4000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
TABLE fifty-two is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #259 of 8,392 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Between Clark & Dearborn Streets
Transit: CTA Red Line Trains to Clark/Division stop #22 Clark Street Bus #36 Broadway Bus
Carbondale, Illinois
“Great soul food with a twist!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was the second time I have visited this restaurant and it was absolutely amazing. The mac and cheese remains to be one of my favorites and lets not forget the biscuits. I don't even like deviled eggs and I would lovingly eat theirs all the time. The Humdinger is so incredibly delicious that I wish a bar back home would learn how to make it.

Service was impeccable. They made my family and I feel welcome and comfortable like I was back in my hometown.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore, MD
“Art Smith needs to spend more time in his restaurant.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

In short, we expected more from Art Smith's place and didn't get it. I am not prone to poor reviews, but this is an upscale restaurant and we had quite the opposite experience. Having experienced G.E.B the night before, may have placed our expectations too high.

From the service to the amuse bouche to the dessert, the evening was a disappointment. We met our waiter briefly but as we didn't order wine at the beginning, he didn't seem all that interested. Had we seen him again before dessert, we may have ordered wine... in the end it seemed as if getting us in, fed, and out were the primary objectives.

When asked for meal recommendations, the fried chicken was the only thing offered up. Maybe we should have tried it... The appetizers (the shrimp and grits and Brussels sprout salad) were ok, nothing spectacular. The entrees (fried catfish and berkshire pork chop) were about the same -- edible, but forgettable. The dessert was not edible -- 12 layer cake, a Smith family tradition. I'm sorry about that -- it was hard and dry -- I've had many a 12-layer cake, this one wasn't done right. The surrounding bittersweet ganache was wonderful, but our secondary waiter didn't seem to grasp when I said I would prefer the ganache and she could take away the cake. Ah yes, the secondary waiter -- we saw more of her than of the young man who told us he would be our waiter -- she needs more training. She came and snatched up our plates without asking, and then asked if she could box anything -- basically the only thing on the plate was a rather large portion of fat from my partner's pork chop... During the meal, my partner had many a butt in his face as the staff tried to maneuver around patrons hanging around our table as they waited for theirs.

So, to sum it up -- the pork chop never should have been sent out for service, the amount of fat was obvious and inedible, it did nothing to enhance the flavor nor the tenderness; the 12-layer cake needed to be kept someplace with some humidity; and the wait staff needs to understand that wearing a waiter's jacket does not make you a waiter. A return trip is unlikely.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent meal--we'd definitely go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I had dinner at Table Fifty-Two last Saturday night while visiting Chicago (having made a reservation online well in advance of our trip). Despite our reservation we had to wait for about 10 minutes for our table, be we sat at the bar and got to watch one of the cooks working at the wood-fired pizza oven directly in front of us. It was fun to watch him prepare biscuits, sweet potatoes, mac & cheese and pizza.

After we were seated we were brought devilled eggs and goat cheese biscuits. We aren't big fans of eggs so we passed on the eggs, but we thoroughly enjoyed the biscuits; they were fresh out of the oven and delicious. I only wish we'd had more!!

For starters, we ordered the beet salad and the kale & brussels sprouts salad, both of which were excellent. My beet salad was beautifully arranged and each ingredient was delicious. As mains, we ordered the potato cream-cheese dumplings (I'm vegetarian) and pork chops. Again, both were delicious. We also ordered a side of sweet potatoes, but we were both so full that we couldn't eat very many of them. Also, both of us found them extremely sweet and just not as good as the rest of the dishes we tried. If we went back we'd try the macaroni, since it is the only other vegetarian side dish they offer.

We skipped dessert since we were so full. Too bad, since I'm sure they were good!

All-in-all we really enjoyed the meal, though my partner's one criticism was that the prices were a bit too high for the main dishes. Anyway, I'd definitely push to go back there if we ever get another chance to visit Chicago!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pewaukee, WI
“Upscale southern food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Amazing biscuits to start the meal. Pumpkin soup and pumkin bread a nice fall flavor. We were a business group of 12 and everyone liked what they ordered. Very good service too. I would look forward to go back to Table 52 next time I'm in Chicago.

Visited October 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Worth the trip from Sydney, Australia!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We travelled all the way from Australia and had been greatly looking forward to our dining experience, and Table Fifty Two did not disappoint!
The menu is full of Southern-style eccentric great cooking with unusual ingredient combinations. The pickle board appetizer and shrimp with grits were standouts! The dining environment aesthetic and service were exceptional too.
The only disappointment was the catfish, which was bland and dry. The Little Miss Piggy rum cocktail with the candied bacon is a cute novelty, but suggest skipping it!
We will definitely dine at Table Fifty Two the next time we're near Chicago!
Thank You Chef Art Smith and Team! Kind regards from Sydney.

• Visited October 2012