“Just lovely” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3434 N Broadway Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657-2516 (Lakeview)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #54 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Just lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

Ok I want to end this review off on a good note so I am going to list what I did not like. The decor of the room. The room had that nasty green BW carpet, the wall paper looked like something from the waiting area of an Old Country Buffet, the internet (wireless) was very spotty and dropped quite a few times, the safe did not fit my laptop, the contraption that help the tv was in faced west and the bed was facing north south so one could not lay in bed and watch tv. That is all the negative that I have to say about the hotel. I was located in room 215. This is on the second floor all the way down the hall going east. The room was quite roomy for two people and if I do say so bigger then what I am used to for hotel rooms that I've had lately. Not a complaint just an observation. I found the staff to be casual and very nice. I didn't feel I couldn't ask them for directions and what not if needed. To the north there is a Treasure Island (a Euro grocery store which kicks azz!), there is also a 24 hr Jewell grocery store. Go to the south a few blocks and there is a Walgreens. Location wise at least for me this is a great place! My favorite coffee place Intelligentsia is only a few blocks, the red line for the EL is also a short walk to either the Addison or Belmont stop. I got a really great rate on this hotel about 92 usd a night. Rates for this hotel being so close to Wrigley can go up to 200 usd a night so do your research and don't be afraid to ask for a sighs lower rate. That is what I did and got 10% knocked off that. Oh SNAP! I almost forgot the best thing about this hotel. THE PILLOWS!!!!! OMG!!!!! I rarely if ever go right to sleep when my head hits the pillow. I am usually still laying there 30 or so mins later but not staying here. I was out in prob 5-10 mins at the most. I plan on hoping on shopbestwestern.com and getting me some of those magical pillows. They are better then the 4 or 5 star hotels I've stayed at!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Excellent location, small but pleasant private courtyard, low-end and somewhat run-down interiors, but quiet, clean, and comfortable. The room I had was enormous and had big, bright windows that could be completely darkened with shades at your preference. Reasonably priced, close to lakefront, surrounded by restaurants, shops, etc. Easy access to anything and yet surprisingly peaceful. No complaints.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing leaps to mind -- very good experince all around
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ojai, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

The other reviews here are all correct - this is a nicely located hotel with overall friendly staff. Decor is ok. Check-in and check-out were both quick and easy. The included breakfast buffet is really weak, but Ann Sathers across the street is amazing so no need to eat at the hotel anyway.

We stayed three days/nights, including the single rainiest day in Chicago's history. I took it for granted that a hotel that bills itself as an "elegant boutique hotel" would have umbrellas for guests to use. Our bill averaged over $300/night with taxes - for that money I would definitely expect some umbrellas sitting near the main door or in the room. Nope. Not a single one. I had to run down the street in the pouring rain with my 11-month-old to get a cheap one at a local store. And here is my other hotel-related rain complaint. The ramp that comes into the hotel is fully visible to the front desk staff. It's curvy and takes a little while to navigate with a stroller or the luggage cart. There were numerous times when I was trying to navigate a stroller with one hand while carrying an umbrella with the other hand. Approaching the lobby door, the 2-3 otherwise unoccupied people at the front desk would be watching this. Never once did one of them come around to help with the door. It wasn't just me - they never helped with the door with anyone else either - old people, people loaded down with luggage, etc.... NOT what I would expect for $300+ a night.

So would I stay here again? Maybe, based on location. Definitely not, based on overall service for the price you pay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff that never made an effort to help guests
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hawthorne Best Western from Aug. 3-6. The hotel is lovely and in an ideal location. We had a short walk to Wriggley Field as well as to many good restaurants. The hotel is also situated near the Red Line train which we used to attend a White Sox game.(direct- no need to transfer). We were at the Hawthorne during the storm/tornado on Aug. 4th. The hotel was without power for about 17 hours. The staff remained calm and tried to make us as comfortable as possible. The front desk personnel were very friendly and willing to help us plan excursions around the city. I would highly recommend staying at the Hawthorne Best Western!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Superb accommodations! Excellent staff, rooms, location, service. Quaint and charming hotel in Wrigleyville with a short walk to Wrigley. We took in two Cubs games and walked each time. Very convenient. Son wanted players autographs so we walked to the players parking lot at 9:00 a.m. for the night game. Players are up close and personal. My son was pleased with gettng the autographs. Continental breakfast includes delicious cinnamon rolls from local bakery/cafe. Rooms are spacious and very clean and comfortable. Parking right next door with free in/out service is convenient as well. Try the Tuscany restaurant on Clark St. serving northern Italian cuisine at a reasonable price. We sat outside on the patio with a garden atmosphere. Service was a little slow but the entrees were impecable. We took a cab for as little as $4.00. Hotel will call the cab for you directly out the front door! I highly recommend this hotel if you are going to the Cubs games. It is a higher priced hotel but well worth it!

• Liked — Service and location.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

The Hawthorne Terrace is a Lakeview stalwart - always been there, the same crappy kitsch decor, but just the greatest place to stay in this part of Chicago. The staff are friendly, the rooms are nice (but the decor! please!) and the beds are comfortable. I have stayed here countless times on trips to Chicago and always return, so they must be getting something right. The location is what really makes this place stand out though, it's quiet, well located for all the bars, and you don't dread going back there in the evening.

It's a basic place but ticks all the right boxes and better than every single one of the local alternatives.

If you can't get into this place, from experience I would recommend Willows on West Surf which is also fine and a little furthe south just off N. Broadway. City Suites on Belmont is also fine but make sure you ask for a room away from the red line El which runs all night.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
N.E. PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I have now stayed at this hotel 3 times for business. It is in a beautiful neighborhood in Chicago - Lakeside, with multiple restaurants, shops and services immediately available. There is a treasure island grocery store (with wine shop) next door, which sells gourmet foods as well as the standard stuff. Nearly directly across the street is Ann Sathers restaurant, famous for its cinnamon buns, but with excellent quality food for lunch and breakfast. There are numerous ethnic themed restaurants nearby. The hotel itself is clean, nicely maintained, and quiet. There is no view to speak of, given that is in a city location, but the rooms are generously sized and have excellent amenities (large bathroooms, small fridge, TV with DVD, sitting areas in most rooms.) It is definately a boutique hotel, a bit off the beaten path as far as the downtown hotels are concerned, but I plan to stay here whenever traveling to Chicago - I did live in the Chicago area for 4 years, so I do know the city fairly well. Does not have a restaurant, but does not need one. Many many restaurants locally will deliver. Pricing is also not bad, considering the amenities and the quiet, safe neighborhood. Parking is available at a price, in the garage next door - you must call ahead or plan to wait for your car, as it is not a self park. You can however go in/out multiple times for the same price. Street parking is extremely limited.

• Liked — cleanliness, area of the city
  • Disliked — no view to speak of
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!