“Charming Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3434 N Broadway Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657-2516 (Lakeview)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #54 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
London, England
“Charming Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

For our stay in Chicago we did not require us to be in the center of town so we decided to try this charming hotel. Location wise it was in a good neighborhood and didn't experience any problems at all. Locally there are lots of shops and services around, Belmont red line a short walk away. We actually ended up walking into Central Chicago by Lincoln Park (zoo!), a good couple of hours walk. We also saw a lot of buses that went towards Belmont.

Room 105 was larger than expected with a desk and nice armchair. No issues with the bathroom. The room in general was very clean and house keeping was good on our 2 night stay. Coffee pod machine and a large fridge in the room which was handy to keep your own snacks.

Breakfast was provided in the lobby area with a small selection to get you started for the day. Due to limited space in the lobby we took it back to our room to eat.

My friend used the gym and it was good for a workout.

Next to the hotel is a car parking garage and after that there is a Treasure Island supermarket with a vast range of food.

If you are visiting Chicago for the gay nightlife in Boystown it is just a short walk away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you are headed for Chicago, on a budget, and do not need to be on a train line or on the Magnificent Mile, this is a nice neighborhood hotel. Most cab fares to downtown locations are about $15. Great breakfast place, Anne Sather's, across the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Location Location Location. If this location is good for you, this is a great choice. This is an older property that has been completely renovated so it's got the old-fashioned charm with the updated decor and amenities (in the room). There isn't much common space and the breakfast is in a somewhat smallish area in the entryway but that's my only ding. The workout room has 3-4 machines and a nice whirlpool. You can park nextdoor in the garage for $22/night I believe. That was very handy. We had a 2 Queen Jr Suite which was in the main building - there's another building right next door. The beds were comfy, the living area with sofa had it's own flat screen tv, desk - and the bathroom was updated with a nice granite countertop. Bath wasn't large but 3 girls shared it! I travel ALOT and I'm picky about safety cleanliness and updated decor - this was a very good property.

Room Tip: there are rooms in the main building and rooms in the building next door - if you want to be in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace on October 19-22, 2012. This was my second stay. This isn't a stuffy hotel, where the staff is unapproachable. Let me say, I called the hotel about a month before the stay, to see if there were any less expensive rates available. Ken answered, and was so friendly, witty, and personable. He gave me a great rate. My boyfriend and I stayed in the annex, in a junior suite. Check-in was fast and friendly. Every morning, breakfast is provided. It typically consists of: pastries, biscuits, oat meal, eggs, and sausage. Juice and coffee are provided. The rooms are very clean, spacious, and pretty. Although, the beds are a little hard. The bathrooms are spacious, and the toiletries smell great.The housekeepers are typically smiling. It's eerie how friendly this place is. Hehe.

The area is awesome. It's located in Lakeview/Boystown. There is a great bar up the street called Jacqueline's, that is a little whole in the wall, but the bartender was great, attentive, and friendly. A restaurant that I particularly loved, was called, (I believe) The Melrose. It's a diner type place, with a great grilled cheese. Most of the restaurants are BYOB (bring your own bottle), so keep that in mind, if you're wanting wine or beer with dinner. There are tons of shops, you're just a few blocks away from the CTA Red line. Also, the neighborhood offers a great walk.

There was a minor hiccup after check-out, but I won't go into that. I don't want that to detract from the review of the hotel. But, I will say this: the staff at this hotel went out of their way to correct the mistake, and even through that, I will return to this hotel. Accountability, friendly and smart service speak volumes to me. I won't stay anywhere else in Chicago, besides Best Western Hawthorne Terrace. It's economical, clean, convenient, and awesome. If they handed out kittens at check-in, only then, would it be better. ;)

Room Tip: I really enjoy staying in the annex. The windows open (not sure if this is the case in the main buil...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were disappointed that a huge conference had all the downtown hotels booked. This hotel was the most affordable we could find within a few miles of most major attractions. What a wonderful surprise! We fell in love with neighborhood, and the Best Western is extremely pleasant, too. I especially liked the excellent Fitness Room, friendly and knowledgeable staff, and the patio along Broadway, but a delightful place to sit [for either breakfast or relaxing] because it's separated by tall hedges and feels private. Breakfast really is basic, but convenient, and in good weather -- al fresco. The room was fine, nothing elaborate but we were quite comfortable.
I'll stay here anytime I'm in Chicago because of the location. 1 long scenic block from Lincoln Park and the Lake. Great for jogging, biking, walking, boat-watching, picnic. We discovered several nearby buses that frequently go anywhere of interest, scenically. A 10-minute walk to Red Line at Addison [next to Wrigley Field] or to Belmont where several lines converge, were also very handy.
Close to lots of restaurants on busy Halstead Street, and the outstanding Ann Sather, right across the street, provided an outstanding lunch one day. A nice supermarket is two doors away.
My last Chicago trip was for a conference, and I stayed at the outstanding Hotel Monaco right at the River. But for vacations, I prefer to be a mile or two from any central tourist area, so I can see how "real people" live in the city I'm visiting. And this Best Western was perfect for our preference. If you don't need to be downtown and want to get the feel of an actual neighborhood, I recommend it highly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We wanted to stay in a northern neighborhood and this fit our needs. Red line is within walking distance and there are plenty of buses. Near Wrigleyville. Rooms were clean and staff was helpful. Breakfast was basic continental ( the cinnamon rolls come from a restaurant down the block and are especially tasty). Only complaint was that there is very limited seating for breakfast (we ended up eating at the computer desk one morning). Overall good stay and I would stay again---although not if I planned to spend the majority of my time in the loop/ Michigan Ave area because it takes a good half hour by transit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were in town for Dave Matthews Band concerts and Hawthorne Terrace was the perfect place! I booked a 2-bedroom suite and, can't imagine staying anywhere else.. At first it seemed strange to stay in the annex building(next to the main hotel) but I soon loved it for the private entrance, and ease to our room. The building is actually apartments converted to suites. It was very spacious and comfortable with a kitchenette, dining table(plate service for 4), and couch with tv. The temperature in our room was consistently just right, much appreciated during the chilly, rainy weather happening outside. Once the sun appeared we went out walking to all the shops nearby. There seemed to be a number of restaurants on the street too. This hotel is ultra convenient to Wrigley(about 5 blocks). The beds were incredibly comfortable as well! Continental breakfast is served until 10 AM in a private, little area. I hope to be in the area again to return!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!