“Exceeded my Expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 20 Chicago B&B and Inns
Minnesota
“Exceeded my Expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

My sister and I had a wonderful time in Chicago and loved our stay at the House of Two Urns. This bed and breakfast had everything we were hoping for and more. It is located in a quite area just a block from the bus stop and subway. Free parking is included and the breakfast in the morning is to die for! The bed and breakfast is also decorated beautifully and the owners are very friendly. If and when I make my way back to Chicago, I will definetly stay at the House of Two Urns.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at House of Two Urns B & B. The room was very nice, the breakfasts were great -- very tasty and elegant. The owner was very welcoming. There was a computer available for use as well as they had Wi-Fi if you brought your own laptop and some did. It was free to park our car. If you like restored buildings and the history behind the building, you will enjoy this beautiful B & B. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

All three of us loved the House of Two Urns. Wicker Park is a great place to be based in Chicago. And the Chambre des Amis was perfect for the three of us - two bedrooms off a common bathroom. All the rooms are comfortable and homely rather than luxurious but charming in a calm, understated way. The bathroom was large with great towels and amenities such as the whirlpool bath. The photos on their website give an accurate picture of what they're like. Oh and breakfast was excellent. Best of all was having access to a common kitchen and living room which made us feel we were at home rather than in a soul-destroying hotel. The hosts are very pleasant and helpful without any of the false bonhomie that Americans often plaster you with - that perhaps explains some of the negative comments on this site.

I've really begun to hate hotels with their endless beige, the little bottles in the bathroom, the over-priced mini-bar, their vast atriums and corridors, and the bogus staff. If you like all those things then go stay somewhere else; the rest of you will adore this place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Wilkinson, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

I stayed in the blue room and loved it! The B&B is in a charming, up-and-coming neighborhood in Chicago, and the location is convenient to mass transit and downtown. I had work in the IL Medical District, and could take either the expressway or city streets for the 15 minute car trip. The hostess, Kapra, is a dignified, pleasant person, who not only made my breakfast earlier because I had to work, but fulfilled my special needs diet with less than 12 hours notice. She is not the chatty, effusive type, but I liked her quiet competence. Given the free parking, the gorgeous room with whirlpool tub and the breakfast, the room was a great value for Chicago. I recommend Two Urns with no hesitation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
travelrocks3
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I booked at the online site for the 'House of Two Urns' with a deposit taken by Credit Card. I was very excited to be taking a trip to see my daughter.
I then made airlines reservations. I sent my daughter the info.
The next day telling me the room was not available.
'It's not my fault' and a link to B&B's of Chicago was what I got with my experience with this guy and this place. Maybe I am lucky since if this is how one treats a prospective guest I would rather sleep on the street.
Nothing as far as a goodwill gesture after completely messing up the airline reservation and then having to find another place.
I had to book for another weekend. I am so looking forward to writing a review that is positive!
Terrible Customer service and place-based on a confirmed booking that the owner cancelled and a gave me a 'link' to Chicago B&B's for the trouble.
'Not my fault', aren't you the owner Kapra? My reservation was confirmed through your site. It was not as you stated, a request.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
twourns, Owner at House of Two Urns Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 30, 2009
The guest booked through a reservation software company with whom we are no longer a client. We have not used this company since January 2009. I contacted the guest immediately, apologized and explained we had no other rooms available. The company also apologized to her and has assured me that this will not happen in the future. I referred the guest to the Chicago Bed and Breakfast Association website where inns list their availability and where she could choose another B&B in a neighborhood of her preference, as she had indicated she did not want a typical hotel stay.
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

The House of Two Urns is a meticulously kept, beautiful B&B in the heart of one of Chicago's "up-and-coming" neighborhoods. Unfortunately, "warm" is not an adjective we could ever use to describe our experience. From the moment of our arrival, the owner was brusque and frankly, a little scary. We were greeted with a long diatribe on proper parking (the message was appreciated, but it could have been conveyed in a less scary manner), and didn't think much of that-- after all, anyone could have a bad day. Unfortunately, that was not an isolated experience. The next morning, the delicious breakfast was served without a smile or friendly conversation, and we got chastised for getting lost and accidentally ending up in the owner's quarters. We left with mixed feelings, impressed by the house and its treasures but a bit ruffled by the unfriendly service. Sadly, I do not think we will be coming back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
twourns, Owner at House of Two Urns Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 29, 2009
We e-mail guests confirmations that explain check-in and parking procedures. Guests will be ticketed on our block for parking without a residential permit, thus we provide a “Standing Zone” for guests to use for up to 30 minutes while checking in with us. There are two signs designating this spot right in front of the B&B. If we notice guests are not parked in our standing zone, we ask them to move their car or have someone stay with their car. My intent was not to scare them, but to warn them of the severity of parking enforcement as they were parked illegally on the street.
At check out, instead of using the front door to exit, the guest walked right past our “Private – Do Not Enter – Ring Bell for service” sign into our family’s private residence . We love hosting guests at the Two Urns, but we do expect guests to respect our family’s need for privacy and ring the bell if they need help for any reason.
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Kapra is a wonderfully hospitable hostess - welcoming, competent, and knowledgeable (arriving early on Day 1 I was immediately asked would I like a breakfast, then did I need any advice re Chicago). Great breakfasts, slept great, interesting and spacious garden. Always a fan of Chicago, I'm now an even bigger one

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to House of Two Urns Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!