“This is the place to stay in Chicago (especially with young children)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North

Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Arlington, Virginia
“This is the place to stay in Chicago (especially with young children)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

I think it has all been said -- great value, great location, great staff, great amenities. We stayed here for 3 nights in late December and early January (over New Year's Eve). Enjoyed the indoor pool & hot tub and the spacious 1-bedroom suite (living room with kitchen, separate bedroom with adjacent bath). Modern design, everything in good working condition, room was quiet, etc. Two (minor?) things did detract from our stay: the elevator requires a room key to operate but the card readers in the elevator consistently had problems with our room keys and the keys of other guests. It actually forced me to think twice about using the (slow) elevators. The other issue is that the free high-speed internet terminals went out for about 24 hours; this was apparently the result of the bad weather but it really creates a problem in this modern era when we all need internet to check travel plans, do airline check-ins, etc. The staff was made aware of the problems but were apparently helpless to offer remedies. These two issues were minor in our overall stay -- we'd happily stay here again and highly recommend the hotel. I just wanted to be fair/objective in pointing out 'room for improvement' .

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Stayed in a two bedroom suite and had lots of room for everyone to have space without getting into each other's way. Easy to walk to Water Tower Place and Navy Pier, easy to get taxis to the museums, and easy to cook dinner in the room if kids were too cranky after a long day to behave themselves in a restaurant.

More than anything, the staff were awesome, especially at breakfast. Would definitely stay here again. (In fact, thought of writing this overdue review when looking at making reservations for next month.)

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My experience was one of the best I've had. People on staff, from maintenance, to front desk people to Estma (? sp.) at the morning breakfast - everyone was genuinely friendly and helpful. By day three, she knew my name and that I liked my juice mixed, 1/2 oj, 1/2 apple juice!! She greeted me every morning. I thought being on the 12th floor would be a pain everyday to go up and down, especially back & forth to business center, but the elevators were very fast and there was never a delay. The valet parking people were friendly, professional and on time bringing the car when I had to leave and come back. The morning breakfast and evening Manager's socials were among the best I have experienced. The suite I was in was beautifully decorated and very clean, w/ fullsize refrigerator, dishwasher, stove (no oven), and microwave. There were dishes, silverware, glasses, wine glasses, a few pots/pans, plus other kitchen gadgets.
If I had to pick something negative, it was the need for another computer at the business center, (for the size of the hotel), and a lack of supplies (stapler, paper clips, envelopes). Although the printer says it is also a fax machine, it was not working, but the front desk happily faxed a couple of things for me. It is located in a great area of the downtown and was convenient to the places I had to go to in Chicago for business. There is a Jewel Grocery store a couple blocks away, if you need to buy groceries.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Glenview, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I selected this place based on reviews at TripAdvisor.com and after staying several times at Residence Inns with satisfactory results. I was not happy with this one.

At checkin, they put a $100 "hold" on my bank account for "incidentals." I have no idea what that is, and they couldn't explain it when I asked about it. After I checked out with a zero balance due, the $100 "hold" remained on my bank account for several days thereafter. I called the hotel about this, and even though they agreed that I had a zero balance and didn't owe them anything, they could not remove the $100 "hold" from my bank account. They said that it should "fall off" of my account's pending transactions after a few days, and indeed that happened a few days after I called, but I should not have been charged for this in the first place. And what "incidentals" are they talking about, anyway? This place has no room service and has no stocked refrigerator. So there is no good reason that I can discern for the $100 "hold." By the way, I was not informed that this $100 "hold" would be imposed when I booked the hotel.

Now to the room. The "blackout" curtains in our 16th floor room were insufficient to block out the lights from the adjoining properties. There was no operating vent or window in the bathroom (vent exists but since it was not connected to any switch it could not be turned on). There was only one bedside nightstand rather than one on each side of the bed. The bed just barely fit into the space: there was less than two feet of walkable clearance between the wall and the foot of the bed.

Another weird thing: this property is a Residence Inn/Springhill Suites, but it wasn't like most Residence Inns. I have stayed in Residence Inns many times but this is not what I have come to expect. There was no silverware or dishwasher, no dishware, no kitchen, no kitchen sink, no full size refrigerator (only a college dorm type small refrigerator) and there is no freezer at all. No ice or vending machines available on any floor (you have to go down to the "convenience" store near the front desk, and they ran out of ice even there). The breakfast was not very good and the breakfast facility was far too small for the number of hotel guests who were trying to use it.

Perhaps my problems were attributable to the fact that I was shuffled over to the "Springhill Suites" part of this property, but when they lead you to believe that you're booking and staying in a Residence Inn, I don't think that you should be given the bait and switch to a Springhill Suites. I never heard of Springhill Suites before, but it's no Residence Inn, that's for sure.

The parking was very expensive. I left my car at home, and that would have been fine but for the fact that the nearby Grand and State subway station (CTA Red Line) is under construction currently and the escalator was out of service due to the construction. That was a problem with all of the luggage, etc.

I will say one good thing about this property: it was very quiet and it's in a good location.

Finally, this place is not well suited for couples looking for a getaway.

Sorry to have to disagree with all of the good reviews here, but my experience there was not very good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago824, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, January 12, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us feedback on your recent stay. I hope that you will accept my apologies for the confusion you experienced while making your reservation. We do have two hotels in the same building, a Residence Inn and a Springhill Suites, and it sounds like your reservation was made at the Springhill Suites. I also hope that you will accept my apologies for our team not explaining the process of establishing credit for incidental charges such as valet parking, telephone usage, and items from the “Market”.

Our mission is to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in Chicago. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve and live our mission.
Wichita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

I was completely satisfied with this hotel. My room was amazing, I loved the kitchen area complete with a fridge, microwave, stove, and dishwasher. Everything was spotless clean and I loved the huge bathroom. The location was quite nice (only a ten minute walk from the heart of downtown) and Harry Carey's and House of Blues was across the street. Staff was kind and helpful. Free breakfast, evening appetizers, and evening drinks were excellent bonuses. I WILL be staying here again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

Never before have we had such a wonderful experience in a hotel. We brought our dog with us on this trip and from the moment we arrived we were greeted very warmly and the staff bent over backwards to help us with the dog crate, luggage, helping us to our room, etc. Our dog received so much attention from not only the staff, but the other residents who wanted to pet and coo over her. The rooms were very comfortable and sound proof. We also appreciated the fact that the hotel is very secure - have to use your pass key in the elevator to get to your floor. There were also patches of grass just a block and a half away from the hotel for our dog to relieve herself. It just happened to be next to the Chicago Fire Department, which made us feel very safe. We went to Chicago to see The Addams Family. We walked to dinner at Harry Carrey's (one block away) and the Oriental Theatre (just seven blocks away). No cabs needed. Also, we walked to Whole Foods (about seven blocks). We will definitely come back again and bring our dog. Oh by the way, the hotel does charge a $100 non-refundable pet fee, but it was worth it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

I booked a room for this hotel and got a great online rate. Since the rate was so low I did not expect much from this hotel and was worried because I turned down a popular (but expensive) 4 star hotel to stay here...I was completely wrong. First off this is a brand new hotel which means new sheets,furniture,kitchen,bathroom,lobby etc. The rooms were extremely clean, spacious, and impressive. I went during the middle of the week so not only did I receive a free hot breakfeast buffet in the morning, but a free dinner buffet at night,and to be honest the selection and food was excellent. The hotel also had free wifi in lobby and room, and also a free business center in case you forgot your laptop. They have an exercise room, pool and hot tub on the top floor overlooking the city (perfect after a long day). The one aspect of the hotel that stood out the most was the amazing service and friendliness of the employees. Each morning I was greeted, when I came back they welcomed me,when I needed help they knew exactly where everything was, when I needed extra towels and sheets it came to the door in less than 2 minutes!! This hotel makes most marriot hotels I stayed in seem like 2 star hotels.Each hotel I stay in I can find at lest one con (even if it is minor) but this hotel was 100% perfect! I will only stay at this hotel in Chicago, even if the rate is double of what I paid.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North? Share your experiences!