“Great location,value, and customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, NC
“Great location,value, and customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

This hotel was great for families with babies- the dishwasher and large room was a lifesaver! The customer service of the staff was 5 star- incredibly friendly! The rooms were updated and modern and very clean. The housekeeper kept everything clean and stocked and even folded our clothes and lined up our shoes.
The location was great- every restaurant and just a few blocks to State Street shopping and also Michigan Ave. Also right next to the river. Millenium Park was also an easy walk.
I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Polish first
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

My wife, 8-year old daughter and I stayed for 5 nights during Spring Break. Unfortunately, "Spring" in Chicago means everything from snow to freezing rain to beautiful, sunny days, each of which we experienced during our stay! The hotel is very conveniently located just a 5-10 minute walk from just about anywhere you'd like to go - shopping, entertainment restaurants, etc.. Close to bus lines "El" lines for destinations further away. We were quite happy with out room - high floor with a King size bed and sofa bed for our daughter. We didn't hear much noise from the streets below, or the fire station at the corner. The kitchen with full size fridge came in handy for storing drinks, snacks etc.. Of course Spring Break was a busy time for this property, with a lot of families staying in the hotel. Kids everywhere (including ours!). The morning breakfast was extremely busy, and the hotel's management team was there each day, clearing tables and pouring coffee, giving the buffet staff more time to keep the food refilled. Same for the evening receptions. It was nice to come back in after a long day out in the cold and enjoy a bowl of hot soup and a sandwich! We took a shuttle van to / from the airport, so didn't need to use the hotel's expensive parking. Walked ot took a bus everywhere we went. With it's great location and good value, we'll stay again on our next trip to the Windy City!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Me and my family enjoyed this hotel a lot. The breakfast was wonderful and the evening reception was to great to pass up. Our room was on a high floor, which we prefer, and was very comfortable.

There where only a few things that left me with a sour taste in my mouth. As i ordered a beer in the evening i noticed my name was on a list, with every other guest in the hotel. I felt this truly compromised privacy of all the guest staying here.

Also, While my nieces where traveling on the elevator it broke and they where stuck on it for 15 minutes. No one stayed on the emergency phone with them nor was the hotel even notified that there guest where stuck on the elevator. I found out about this event from them. It just amazed me that no one in the hotel would contact me over this. They did comp 50$ of our over all stay,

US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We booked 2 studio suites for 3 days. We were able to check in early but was disappointed that one of our 2 rooms was extremely small compared to the other one. It was so small that we would not have any room to walk around the room if we put the sofabed out. The larger room was almost double the size. I couldnt understand why we were paying the same rate for such different sized rooms. I went to the desk to ask for a larger room and was told there were none available near my first room and no other 2 large rooms together available in the hotel, hard to believe since there is 27 floors. After much complaining from me, they said they would try to upgrade me to a 1 bedroom suite but then said they could not since I booked through a 3rd party. Then they did offer me another room but it was at the opposite end of the hotel which was unacceptable to me. I continued to complain and also mentioned that I would be writing the corporate office to let them know how dissatisfied I was and they finally did upgrade me to a 1 bedroom suite right across the hall from our other room. Both of the rooms we had were very nice and clean. Only disappointment was that I found dirty socks underneath the couch cushion when putting the sofa bed out which lead me to believe they did not change mattress pads between guests. The rest of the hotel was also very clean and new looking. There was a very large lobby with comfortable seating, TV, computers, etc. The free breakfast was exceptional with large selection including make your own waffles. The lady that was working in the dining area each morning was very friendly and helpful, she even offered to make waffles for guest, got refills on drinks and made sure everyone was well taken care of. The free dinners (Monday to Thursday) were a pleasant surprise. We had soup and sandwiches the first night, Lasagna, salad, garlic bread the second night, and hot dogs and brats the last night. There was also free soft drinks, wine, beer, and snacks. Have never been to a hotel that served such wonderful free meals. Saved us alot of money. The management staff was very visable during the meals and stopped at every table to ask if everything was ok. It was also very impressive that they even helped clean up tables. Pool was on the 27th floor with gorgeous view. Was a little small for size of hotel. The location of hotel was very good, only about 5 minutes from Union Station, short walk to free trolley to Navy Pier and also bus stops. The hotel provided a nice city map that included excellent directions from hotel to various attractions either by walking, taxi, bus, etc. Was told at check in we would need to use room key to get off elevator (assuming this was for security reasons) but this was not true entire stay. Upon departing the hotel for the train station, we asked one of the men at the door if there was a van that would accomodate all 5 of us. He told us to wait and then proceeded to run up the street. We lost sight of him for a few minutes but then he showed up riding in the taxi van he had found for us. I was amazed that he went to such extreme measure to accomodate us. What wonderful service!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed here for a four day break at Chicago over easter and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was located only a five minute walk from the Magnificent Mile and a 10 minute stroll to the Loop plus there were a few bars nearby and the excellent Harry Carey Italian Steak House directly opposite. I've no real complaints, we never had breakfast at the hotel as it was a bit early for us plus there were plenty of places nearby. The hotel staff weren't always as obliging as they could have been and the maid service was pretty bad (only fouir bottles of shampoo to last 4 days for three guys, go figure...) even after we'd tipped but considering the price well worth a stay

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Our family decided to try this Residence Inn as our base for doing the standard Chicago museum-viewing tourist stay, and we're glad we did. Among similar properties, this gave us the best package deal for what we wanted-- AAA rates plus parking provided a king suite, breakfasts, a pool, and an exercise room.

Staff from valet parking in through valet parking out, and everywhere in between, were exceptionally courteous and did their jobs well. The entire hotel was clean and maintained well. The amenities of the Residence Inn chain were all there-- the kitchenettes, the multiple options for breakfast, the weeknight evening foods....

During our stay, we didn't find the place overly crowded, and thus our breakfast and pool experiences weren't lessened by mobs. One of the two common-area computers was available the two nights I wanted to check transit routes.

Some notes: swimming pool is small (but open by 6:30 a.m.), You're a short walk from a drug store / grocery store, Starbucks (though house coffee is tolerable), and multiple dining options and major transit hubs are a short walk away (and you can catch a bus route right outside the hotel). Be forewarned a fire station is 1.5 blocks away (but even closer to other hotels), so you're likely to get at least a siren during the night.

Remember you're in a big US city and prices/facilities reflect it; just plan for it, and bring tip money for the staff willing to serve you. We'd likely return to this place for similar-style Chicago vacations.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

I have gone to Chicago many times. The trip before this one, I stayed at the Hyatt on Wacker and as far as comparisons goes, this hotel is just as good if not better. It is located a short walk from the Mag. Mile and the Chicago nightlife/resturants (Harry Carey's and Ruth's Chris are right across the street). The hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms are great (I had the King Studio Suite). The best part was that I had a nice kitchen for when I was entertaining *guests*. If you are looking for exceptional service with a good price, this is the place to stay

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North? Share your experiences!