“Brilliant location, wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Downtown Parking
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
tunbridge wells
“Brilliant location, wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

As a family of four including two teenagers we had a wonderful 5 night stay at this hotel. The sofa bed was perfectly adequate in the sitting room and there was plenty of space for all our luggage. Our suite on the 4th floor had views over the rooftops and there was no street noise at all. The kitchen area was immaculate and stocked with everything you could possibly need.

The free breakfast is astonishingly good with slight variations every day. The wonderful lady in charge would come round each morning asking if you wanted to take fruit with you for the day. We never had a problem getting a table but even if you did you can take breakfast up to your room easily with boxes provided for this purpose. On one of our weekday evenings we had the complimentary dinner and wine which worked out very well before heading off to Wrigley Field.

The location is outstanding. So easy to walk everywhere and right in the heart of an area full of interesting restaurants. It feels very safe.

Every single member of staff we happened to walk past from chamber maids to reception staff to valets went out of their way to greet us. This is a great example of Marriott Residence at its best.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you so much for this awesome 5-Star review! We take great pride in our customer service and I'm glad every member of our team you encountered went out of his or her way to take great care of you! I'm also glad you truly enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast! We look forward to your next stay with us!

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed at this property for 5 nights last week and found this hotel to be an ideal choice for a medium business trip. I appreciated the hotel was well maintained and nice. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The front desk staff were super nice and would always greet you upon passing. The woman who runs the free (very good) morning breakfast is the best I've ever seen. She treats you as if you were her own family. The location was ideal for my business trip in the loop and the neighborhood boasts many dining and beverage options from casual to high end. I only felt compelled to leave this area to head to my office and the occasional tourist attraction. The parking is expensive at $62/night for valet, but it is Chicago and that's just how it is. Another down side was the very high percentage of families with kids staying here. That seemed a bit odd, as all other Residence Inns I have stayed at in the past were full of primarily business travelers. It was a minor inconvenience and annoyance, but summer in Chicago tends to breed large numbers of tourists. The rooms were nice and of standard Residence Inn issue. I was comfortable in the room and had a great view of major downtown skyscrapers from my 14th floor room. I travel to Chicago often and will definitely be staying here moving forward.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thanks so much for the nice 4-Star review! I'm so glad you enjoyed our "super nice" front desk staff as we take great pride in our service. We are happy to hear you'll be staying again the next time you visit DT Chicago!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

this was our first visit to Chicago, travelling with young children and another family. The location is fantastic for doing the standard tourist things in Chicago. All the staff have been wonderful including the great Ismeta and Sanli as everyone reading these reviews will know; they deserve all the praise they receive as they are excellent at customer service. There must be many other unseen staff from housekeeping, room and guest services that make the property efficient and met all our expectations. The room we stayed in was properly cleaned and requests for additional towels, ice etc were always addresses immediately.

I will recommend this property to anyone who asked; this review is being written while we are still at the property given it has exceeded our expectations already!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the really nice 5-Star rating! I am so glad you enjoyed our hotel. I truly believe we have some of the best staff members in the industry and I'm glad they made a nice impression on you. We hope to have you back again the next time you visit the River North area!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for four months April 5th- August 8th, 2014. I must say we were all truly impressed. We received great service from the moment we walked in on the evening of Sunday, April 5th. The facilities are very well kept, clean and comfortable. The hot breakfast was amazing and offered lots of variety. Something for even the pickiest eaters.

I had my husband and two teenage boys with me which can sometimes be a handful in the area of keeping things clean. Our house keeper Luneatia Davis was amazing. She really took care of us. She learned all the things our family liked/needed and made sure she took care of us and always with a smile! All the staff was always pleasant as you traveled in and out of the hotel but there was one employee in particular (Tanesha Robinson) who really took the time to greet you with a very genuine care and concern. She cleans the lobby everyday and we always looked for to her smile. When she said have a nice day she truly ment it. Conrad Henry the Bellmen was always cheerful and eager to help.
And last but not least Iseta Bajrektarevc the Gate House Attendant was always a breath of fresh air. Every single morning she would greet us with a smile and kind words as if we were her own family. She has a way of making everyone feel really special. She always made sure everyone in the entire room was taken care of.
The thing that impressed me the most about the employees mentioned above is that they were amazing everyday! Never a bad attitude, never a mean word just genuine kindness everyday.

The only two things I had an issues with is the washing machines specificly washing machines #3, 5 & 8 the spin cycle on these machines did not work properly so at the end of the cycle you had soaking wet clothes. I reported it several times to the front desk but the machine conditions did not improve. I also had an issue with receiving mail. I had two items sent to me one was a greeting card for mothers day. I eventually did received the card but it was partially open and when I asked at the desk it turns out they had the card for three weeks but never notified me that it had arrived. I was also sent another greeting card for my children which had two target gift cards. I had asked about the mail for weeks but never received it. I recently spoke with the Assistant General Manager and he said he would have the staff look into it. I guess my kids will never get their gift cards from their Godmother.
Again we did have an excellent stay and great customer service from the staff. Thank you for making our time away from home comfortable and inviting. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Wow! What a genuinely nice 5-Star review! I want to say thank you very much for the amazing recognition you provided to all associates, especially some of our amazing associates in housekeeping. I appreciate you taking the time to find out the names of the associates that work hard to make sure your room and your hotel is one of the cleanest in DT Chicago! Thank you also for the very kind words regarding our breakfast and bellman associates. I will be forwarding these lovely comments to every member of our leadership team to recognize the wonderful contribution they have made during your stay! We hope to have you back again!

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is just one block from Magnificent Mile. Reasonably priced for the area. Staff are wonderful! So helpful!

It's clean and comfortable. Similar to other Residence Inns. Good beds with extra blankets available if needed. Hot breakfast and manager special snacks Tu/Wed/Thur evenings. Many places accessible by walking about 1/2 mile or so to the CTA trains.

Only 1 complaint: wifi here is terrible! They offer an enhanced (higher speed) wifi for an extra $5 per day, but it is not much better. Wifi speed is comparable to the old dial-up days and connection is often lost.

We would stay here again because the staff are so friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the really nice 4-Star review! I am so glad our team took wonderful care of you. I am terribly sorry you found our complimentary WiFi to acceptable. I would like to let you know that we will be upgrading our network this year to increase the speed for our users. We hope you get the opportunity to visit us again and utilize this enhanced network!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I don't usually stay at Residence Inn but this Residence Inn was pretty amazing. Great gym/pool area on the top floor, really nice rooms, great service and good location. The free breakfast in the morning was a bit crowded but really good food and selection!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the 5-Star review! We are so glad to hear we exceeded your expectation. We hope we have a new fan of our property and hope we get a chance to have you back!

London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Came here for a long weekend. Hotel really clean and very quiet at least on top floor. Breakfast excellent but crowded. Safe area. About 10 minute walk to subway. Bus very close. Staff friendly. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: High floor