“Wonderful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Arlington, Ohio
“Wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have stayed at this location several times over the last couple of years. Us coming back tells you how wonderful this hotel is. The staff are always very willing to help you with anything you ask. The rooms are clean, the evening social hour is great! We had meat loaf, mashed potatoes, salad and what ever you would like to drink the first night and the second night was pulled pork, pulled chicken, chips, salad, dinner rolls and brownies along with your drinks. Now to breakfast, WOW is all you can say. Everything is wonderful, but...what really makes it so great is the breakfast hostess. She is absolutely the best! She represents what every employer hopes for. If you want a great location and a place that makes you feel welcome, this is a must.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you so much for the very nice comments about having a wonderful hotel and for the 5-Star review! We truly hope to have you back soon!

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel staff are awesome to the max!! I felt like I was treated like a princess... Everyone (front desk, breakfast staff, house keeping and other staff) all greet you with "how are you today... Have a great day... Everything okay?? Do you need anything?? Do you need help??" When I needed something.. Somebody got it for me right away.. They all have walkie-talkie so the staff communicate so well with each other! Even a guy who is off the clock going home was so nice in the elevator and so cheerful!!! Ohhhhh the lady at the breakfast was awesome!!! She will pack you fruits to take with you!!! Breakfast was like a buffet!! Very impressive bonus that it was included!!!!!! I felt like they cared and genuinely happy at their work place! Our suites was clean and had everything we needed! Thank you so much for a great experience! And please don't change!!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for this extremely nice review! We take great pride in our service and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. And yes, when you come to our hotel, you are a Princess!! Thank you again and we hope to have you back soon!

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Top notch in every way! We stayed there for a week while sightseeing and going to baseball games. Staff was VERY friendly and VERY helpful in every way. Each staff member greeted us every time we saw them. I can honestly say we felt very much at home. It was a pleasure to be greeted every morning by Ismeta for breakfast. She made sure that our every need was met....in fact, she knew what we wanted and needed better than we did. She is simply amazing! Always anticipating our wants and meeting them before we could even ask. She, personally, made us waffles every morning, and after just one day she knew the preferences of each of us in our party of six. How does she do it???? Amazing!!! They should clone her!!!
Our three rooms were spacious and immaculately clean. Each had a kitchenette that was stocked with basic utensils and dishes. You could, definitely, live comfortably in these rooms. We did not need to do any cooking, though. Delicious, complimentary, restaurant-quality breakfast was served every morning, and they even served complimentary simple dinners two nights a week. Wine was included at no charge, and Cindy kept our glasses filled. She was very gracious and very helpful, and made us feel very welcomed. There is an indoor pool and hot tub. Both were very clean and well-maintained. Great view of the city from the pool area! Another detail, much-appreciated, is that even though we were on an upper floor, we never had a long wait for the elevator. Unlike many hotels, ALL of the elevators seemed to be operating at all times, so almost as soon as you pushed the button, an elevator would arrive! Another advantage to this hotel is the proximity to restaurants, shopping, and sightseeing. We walked almost everywhere in a short period of time. Lots of activity all around, and we always felt safe, even going out for a stroll at 11:00 at night. It was only a short walk to public transportation to take us to the baseball fields or to the free trolley to Navy Pier.
Highly recommend Residence Inn Chicago Downtown. I cannot think of a single negative.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful comment! Thank you so much for this awesome review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and we truly hope to have you back!

Regards,

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

From the moment we walked in the door everyone did all they could to make our stay great! The valet helped with watching car while I checked in. The front desk allowed us to get one our rooms early. At breakfast, too, they couldn't have been nicer. The rooms were clean, spacious and had comfortable beds. Nice , quiet neighborhood - 2 blocks to Michigan ave or 2 blocks east to the lake. Loved our stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor
Green Features: Very good. Also had nice ice cold cucumber water in lobby.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the extremely nice review! Our hotel likes to say that our guests will come for the location, but they always come back because of our staff!! Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My company placed us there for a week. We loved it. The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming. The manager's reception is a bonus and breakfast can be compared to a local restaurant. I do encourage you to meet Ismeta during breakfast - she is an angel. This week she made us feel right at home. Her enthusiasm and willingness to treat us as we were right at her house was phenomenal.

I do want to mention a few other things - internet is slow (free but slow) however we heard they are improving it. If you are coming to enjoy the pool this is not your hotel - however who really goes to Chicago to swim in a pool.

You will love this place - so close to everything - State St is only a few min away.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for this extremely nice 5-Star review! I am so glad you enjoyed your time at our location and we truly hope to have you visit us again soon! Thank you and we look forward to your next stay!

Regards,

Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband, daughter and I stayed here July 12th for 1 night. It was a very nice hotel, good location, staff were very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and if you are staying in Chicago for a few days this would be a great place to stay. Our room had a full kitchenette area. We were on the 20th floor and had no noise from the street.. for sure get a high level room.

Our room was not ready when we arrived (which was not until after 3) but we only waited maybe 15 minutes and the gentleman came over and said they had one ready for us. It was great they offer a free breakfast. We would for sure stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay to get a high city view..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you so much for the very nice review! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We truly hope to have you back at the hotel the next time you are in downtown Chicago!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

First of all I want to say the hotel is really great, especially for the price we paid for it. It was a really good deal considering we went to Chicago on 4th of July. We had a party of four (my husband, my 7 y.o. daughter and my mom) and it was our dream to visit this city since it's only a 5-hour drive from Cleveland, Ohio where we reside. The hotels in Chicago basically offer only two options for tourists: you can stay 10-15 miles away from downtown and drive (by car, bus or train which is 30-40 minutes one way mostly because of traffic) or you can stay in downtown and just walk. The first option is certainly much cheaper and usually offers free breakfast, free parking and free WiFi (exactly what I was looking for). With the second option you get much higher prices for the room and basically that's all that you get - the room. So, after giving it a good thought I decided to pay extra for comfort and not having to ride back and forth each day of our stay (which was 3 full days). But at the same time I didn't want to give up on important things and I had to admit it was unbelievably hard to find hotel in downtown with any free additions, usually the best offer was free WiFi. So when I found this Marriott Residence Inn in downtown with free breakfast and free WiFi for the great price (comparing to other downtown hotels) I was absolutely happy. Well, no free parking (valet is $62 per day; self-park is $47 per day) but I guess I had to choose anyway. So, I found a better online deal (I used ParkWhiz.com) for parking nearby (5 minutes walk from hotel) and we just left our car there because you don't really need it if you don't mind walking (usually 20-30 minutes to any attraction). The only concern that I had about the hotel was the accommodation for 4 people as we booked a studio with 1 king bed and 1 sofa bed (I was not sure if sofa bed was rollaway, hard to tell by pictures) and on the hotel website it states they don't offer any additional rollaway beds or cribs so I was concerned. And as it turned out - for nothing. The sofa bed is rollaway and even if all 4 people are adults they will fit. So that was a pleasant surprise for me. Overall everything was good during our stay, the staff was helpful and nice, check-in and check-out were a breeze taking like 2 minutes of my time (the fastest I've ever had) and our early check-in request (as well as high floor with a street view - other reviewers' recommendation) was fulfilled with no problem - we arrived at 12 pm. The breakfast was delicious and Ismeta was really fun to talk to, seems like she knows every single person there and when you only think about having a waffle she has already brought you one :) But make sure to get to the breakfast room at least one hour before closing as there can be a huge line out there (again, I'm talking about 4th of July). We got there early so we had no problem. On the downside, I would only mention two things. The actual lobby where you check-in is located on the second floor and then you have to take another elevator to get to your room which is not very convenient in my opinion. So, when you get inside there is a valet service and you go up one floor with the elevator. Then there is a shared lobby (Residence Inn on the right and Springhill Suites on the left) and then you have to walk to the elevator which is the main one (27 floors) - so you'll have to use 2 elevators every time you go out. Another thing is the water station in the lobby - it magically disappears during the day so if you are thirsty while checking in you can only use regular water fountain. In the evening though there is this amazing water station with fruit infuser inside but it empties really quick and no one seems to bother about refills. So, if it's gone - it's gone. No water, sorry. That really can be a pain during hot summer days. I understand there was a crowd due to holiday weekend but I believe there should be a solution for such days because water is maybe a trifle yet very important. The same thing with the coffee station actually, we didn't have one on our side so front desk told us to go the Springhill side. Again, if it's empty - it will stay empty. And no coffee during the day (only on breakfast time). These things are probably not the most important but still may be a real concern for some people. I would be glad not to have to mention it in my review but I think I should as it does not seem to be very hard to fix. Other than that everything was just perfect and I would definitely stay at this hotel again! Thank you, Marriott.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RIMARRIOTT410, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for the extremely kind review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff took great care of you. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and internet. We hope to have you back the next time you are in DT Chicago!

AGM

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North? Share your experiences!