“I really enjoyed my stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 168 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I really enjoyed my stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We arrived @ the Residence Inn early and was able to check in our room. We stayed in the corner studio which was Nice especially for a ladies weekend trip. It was clean, enough room with a nice view. The lOcation was great! The staff was very frIendly and professional. I have to especially acknowledge the hotel greeter/breakfast hostess ISMETA. She made our stay exceptionally wonderful. It was a pleasure seeing her I'm the morning, she went over and beyond to make our stay comfortable. ISMETA IS A WONDERFUL PERSON Who TAKES pride in customer satisfaction. THE Residence Inn staff should be honored to have her as a part of their staff. She is definitely an asset and is truly one of the reasons why we will be staying here again this June. We appreciate this kind of service because it's rare!

• Stayed April 2013
Jon G, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Ismeta is a true asset to our hotel and I am glad to hear you had a chance to experience her personal service. She is a bright light of sunshine everyday. Glad to hear everything else was great also. We will see you in June.

645 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The service here is unmatched.
Every single staff member was caring and friendly.
They all seemed genuinely happy and eager to please.
All areas of the hotel were new and extremely clean.

The "little things" made this a top hotel.
Yogurt parfaits on the breakfast bar with real fruit and granola, twelve different types of tea (with lemon) at the 24 hour coffee station, orange juice that tasted fresh squeezed. This and more on a complimentary upscale breakfast buffet. They provide a complimentary nightly "dinner" that could definitely serve as dinner if you didn't want to get out.
The room was spacious, clean and comfortable.

I can't wait to come back here with my family.
I can't believe I found this much service, value and space in a prime downtown area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We are very pleased to hear your thoughts about our hotel. We definitely try to make all of our guests feel like they are the only guest in the hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our amenities.
Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

LOCATION - I want to start this review by mentioning that I stayed on the same block on a previous visit to Chicago, so I first chose this hotel based on its location. And the location is fantastic! About 1.5 blocks to the Chicago river and there are a bunch of bars & restaurants located on the street behind the hotel (Hubbard). If you plan to use the bus system, this hotel is convenient to quite a few bus routes that go to the museums, aquarium, etc.

ROOM - So I booked a Corner King Studio Suite. Upon entering, you walk into the long narrow kitchen area, but all modern and in great condition. More than enough space for a few nights or a long weekend. I love the convenience of the kitchen to stock snacks, beverages and most importantly, to bring back extra Chicago deep-dish pizza for late night snacks. Although the King Bed does not have a door separating it, it is separate from the kitchen. I loved the sitting area, so you had the option of watching TV from your bed or from the small couch or arm chair. The bathroom was set up nicely with a door separating the toilet & shower area from the sink. It was convenient for 2 people to get ready and have separate space.

HOTEL - The hotel itself was very nice. The common area had a ton of seating with couch areas, a fireplace area, business center out in the open and regular tables/chairs. Modern and clean.

BREAKFAST/RECEPTION - This hotel has a hot breakfast included daily, which drew a decent crowd. The woman who runs breakfast is phenomenal - she takes a lot of pride in what she does and is amazingly kind to all guests. The second time I came to breakfast, she immediately recognized me and said welcome back. And I noticed that she goes above & beyond for the guests by asking if anyone would like more juice, more waffles, etc. I was really impressed and quite honestly, we could all learn a little something from her work ethic.

Now, onto the evening reception. I only attended this one evening and it seemed to be pretty popular. Wine and beer is included for hotel guests as is a small buffet meal; I didn't try the food, but spoke with the woman who manages the evening meal and she was great as well. Friendly, asking guests if they enjoyed their food, etc.

STAFF - Everyone was great, including housekeeping! The room was so clean. I do want to say that the valet team were not nearly as friendly as the door-front team at the Amalfi. I wasn't insulted and it didn't affect my trip in any way as I am fully capable of opening my own doors, but I will say that I noticed.

IMPROVEMENT - The front desk team was great, helpful, friendly, etc. Everything you would want when checking in or asking questions.. But one thing you do not get here is a concierge; I think the hotel should be sending their staff to nearby restaurants so they can make restaurant recommendations. They are capable of suggesting restaurants, but I don't think they have actually experienced those places to give first-hand recommendations.

EXTRAS - Some tips in Chicago.. try the bus system for transportation. It's only $2 when you purchase a transit card and super easy to use! Lou Malnati's pizza is just a few blocks from the hotel, so definitely worth a stop. Howl at the Moon is located on Hubbard St, right across the street, and was a blast; there's a lot of talent there but aim to get there early to get a seat and avoid the cover charge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon G, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
This is a long outstanding review. It was a pleasure to read. Great info about the property and service. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.
Chesterfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was recently in Chicago on business, and stayed in this hotel for 12 consecutive nights. When I was planning for my trip, this property was at the top of my list, because I wanted the long-term suite with kitchen, and convenient location. I have stayed at this Residence Inn on several occasions in the past and had very favorable impressions and memories of it.

I was actually a guest at this property when they were having their Grand Opening, and Jerry Keyes - an excellent property manager in the Chicago area - was the first hotel manager. He always made sure his guests felt appreciated, welcome, and he and his staff had an attention to detail that ensured his hotel was run in an excellent manner. When I checked in for this stay, I hated to hear that Jerry was no longer the manager, and that he had moved over to a downtown Courtyard property.

It was evident to me, having stayed here in the past and have an ability to compare this stay to prior ones, that the property has declined somewhat in appearance - but moreover, that the staff is not as friendly, welcoming, or engaged as in the past. On many occasions, I observed front desk staff joking around with each other while guests waited to check in or ask questions. I'm sure they think it is cute, but I (and others) found it to be very unprofessional. There is a time and place for everything, and behind the counter representing Marriott is a time to be professional - all the time!

The daily breakfasts and dinners served in the "gatehouse" were rarely on time - I can easily count on one hand the number of times they were prompt and ready when guests arrived. More often, hotel employees were rushing and scurrying to get things ready after the appointed start time. Additionally, it was a common occurrence that food ran low or out, and guests had to wait for the kitchen to get more ready. One would think that the kitchen staff could get information from the front line about how many guests were in the hotel and be better prepared.

There was one particular kitchen employee who worked the evening shift, who always had excuses for why things weren't ready - why she was moving slow - bla bla bla. She discussed personal issues she and her family had. I usually enjoy light conversations with hotel employees - and getting to know them during my stay....but after a long, hard day at work....I'm usually not in the mood to hear everyone else's problems.

This hotel is in a great location - and has so much potential if managed appropriately - but with so many employees - management really has to run a tight ship and maintain the professionalism...otherwise, it will continue to deteriorate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review Steven. I apologize for the experience you had regarding your stay and I know Dave Prentiss is addressing this with you personally.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Got back from a refreshing stay at this hotel. We got to the hotel at 9AM and our rooms weren't ready but they stowed our luggage and took our cell numbers with the promise to call when they were ready. Got the voicemail about 4PM. My friend and I went to the market and cabbed it back to the hotel. The bellman was more than helpful getting our groceries up to our room, then returning with our luggage.

The 1 bedroom king is a nice size. Quite comfortable bed with ample sheets, pillows and comforters for my guests on the sofabed. Everyone got an excellent night's sleep.

Having the kitchen was wonderful. As much as I love to eat out, sometimes you just want to relax in your room with a beer and a steak. Full service for 4, plenty of pots and pans and the dishwasher was most convenient.

I took advantage of the fully stocked breakfast bar. The lovely lady manning (womanning?) the waffle machine was attentive and made everyone feel welcome. This was more than just some waffles and danishes. Eggs, meat, potatoes, granola, assorted cereals/breads/danishes/muffins, and the menu changed each day. The potato pancakes were wonderful.

I also took advantage of the laundry facilities. The last thing I want to do when I get home is deal with laundry. I was able to wash my clothes while I was on a conference call, so I returned with clean clothes and no headaches.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff are amazing, it's very convenient to the Metro, and wonderful restaurants. (Try the Unicorn Blood Red Ale at Xoco around the corner.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. It is great to hear the amenities and services we offered not only made your stay great while you were with us but also made your life easier when you got back home. Hopefully we will see you back here again sooner than later.
Grand Island, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just finished up a week at the Residence Inn Downtown Chicago River North Location. We traveled to Chicago on the megabus from Omaha and arrived about 8 in the morning. They did not have rooms available but did check our bags and invite us to stay for breakfast. They took our cell phone numbers and said they would call us when a room was available. We got a room before noon. The staff was always very helpful. I had trouble getting on to the internet and called the tech support line. In less than 10 minutes he had my machine online and was able to authorize my Roku to access the wireless network and set the time of access for our entire stay (longer than the choice offered by the browser approval). The room was clean and the staff very efficient and friendly. We love having a kitchen available and my wife cooked some incredible meals. The only complains are that our suite had just a shower (no tub). It was a big shower though. One day the maid loaded the dishwasher and put the pans and cups in so they held water when it was done. Those were really minor issues. The room rate was also under the GSA Per Diem rate so I did not have to justify staying at this location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you for the great review. It is exciting to hear about your stay. We will address the minor issues you experienced at our next pre-shift meetings because those are easy things to fix and focus on. Thank you for the review.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was excited when I saw the location of this hotel on the map. It's actually closer to my favorite portion of the "magnificent mile", which was lucky since the other Residence Inn was full! I was excited to have extra room for our 2 year old daughter and a free breakfast is always exciting! We arrived a bit early and they got us into our room with no issues and got a pack and play (sparkling clean) set up just in time for naps. The course of our big city weekend was abruptly derailed when our daughter got sick in the middle of the night. I was originally terrified to be going through this in a hotel, but the staff could not have been better. They would bring us anything we asked for, and did so very quickly. The staff at this hotel turned what would have been a nightmare into something I can (kind of) fondly look back on. So, thank you for that.

Another little thing I noticed that stuck with me was the breakfast staff. Because it was crowded, there were people down there early staking things out before the official 7:30 start time (on the weekdays it opens at 6:30, I think). In most other hotels, I would think this would be met with some annoyance by the staff as they tried to get things set up. Not these guys. They would cheerfully announce when a new item was placed out and had the best attitude. I really cannot say enough good things about our stay. We will absolutely be back, and hopefully we will be sick-free this time!

oh, and the building was gorgeous and spotless too! For the price, it can't be beat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jon G, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are glad to hear your stay was great even with your daughter's situation. It is great to hear though that we were able to make your stay the best it possibly could be even under the conditions of your daughter's health. It was our pleasure to serve you and your family. Hopefully we will see you back at our hotel sooner than later.
Assistant General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North? Share your experiences!