“Awesome view of city/Navy Pier Fireworks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Awesome view of city/Navy Pier Fireworks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

This was our first trip back to the city and our first stay at the hotel. We were very impressed by our one bedroom suite and found the room to be very spacious, great view of the fireworks at Navy Pier from our room. We had a separate bath in the front entry of our room that also had a walk in shower. Great service by all the staff and their assistance on things was exceptional. I would definitely stay there again. The concierge made our dinner reservations one at our favorite restaurant - The Italian VIllage where we were treated to a brushetta appetizer from Jay the concierge at our hotel and the other was a recommendation from the concierge for Keefers - which has some of the best steaks and chicken we have had. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us.

Vice President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

I really wanted to like this hotel as much as I like the awesome sky scraper it is in. However I came away not really liking it as much as I had hoped I would. I was booked into an adjoining room which had surprisingly thin doors through which I could hear every word, cellphone conversation, music and alot of etc...all night long right through these thin doors. When I was checked into this room no one showed me how to work the complicated lights which were nice on dimmers and all but I had to call maintenence to come and put bulbs in some that were burned out and explain how to work them at all, costing me precious time. Long after midnight when I could no longer tolerate the conversations through the adjoing door situation, with it's surprisingly little sound barrier, service quickly responded to move me to another room. I moved into this second Spa Suite room and found the air machine as loud as I would expect to find at an interstate hightway motel but I was told that was due to it being some sort of purification system- which the hotel doesn't seem to need anyway. Maintenence was able to turn the loud air system off from remote, but again that took time for me to secure having first to allow a maintenence worker in the room, etc... On top of that desk staff explained to me that they leave the Bose Wave Radios on in unoccupied rooms so that staff will know if the room is unoccupied. All night long I could feel the thump of the bass and hear the music right through the wall which was so annoying! So many things seemed overly complicated at the hotel, from a shower in the health spa requiring reading glasses to program the computer running it, to tv's so high tech it took forever to change channels, to espresso makers that while nice did require a read up in the manual to figure out. The restaurant is very beautiful, but like the whole hotel, pretty cool to cold, spare, elegant decor. Service was great, food very good. The health spa is also pretty nice, and you could lift heavy weights or do cardio on alot of equipment if you were so inclined. The health club and pool have nice views, and are super clean and nice. The massage I had was extremely excellent but the manicure/pedicure was about the worst I have ever had and I re-did myself the next day. I stayed at the hotel in part because I was shopping for a residence in Chicago, and even scheduling to look at the residences in the building was more complicated than it needed to be. There is no lobby life at the Trump. Just a small sofa and chairs, not a social place at all. The lounge, Rebar, upstairs is the socializing area when it is open in the evenings and while it is posh like the rest of the place, it does not seem to offer much of a sense of friendliness to the solo traveller as I was. In total, Trump like the man comes off as complicated, egotistical, sophisticated, high tech, striving for greatness. Perhaps the best thing about staying in hotels that aim to be the best as Trump is obviously trying to do is that they do really care about your experience and will work to make it right as they did for me at Trump. I am grateful for their assistance, though I wish I hadn't of needed any of it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, November 6, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by the noise coming from the adjoining room, and not being provided with a full tour of your guest room. I can appreciate what a nuisance this was for you as you were looking for a relaxing weekend while shopping for a new home.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future for a better experience.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed here with my boyfriend last weekend and we had a fabulous time. The room was impressive. It was modern and had a small kitchen area. The bathroom was spacious, with a separate tub and shower area, and the mirror above the sink had a TV in it. The view of the city was gorgeous and I loved the turn-down service. When we got back to our room at night, the lights were dimmed, there was soft music playing, our bed was turned down, and the TV showed an aquarium scene. The service was great. This was an overall relaxing and luxurious experience. The restaurant was pretty good and the location is perfect because you can just walk to Michigan Ave. for some shopping.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a warm review of your recent stays with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago; I am very pleased to learn that you and your boyfriend hold such fond memories of your stay.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

KSA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

Greetings from Saudi Arabia.

My wife and I were in Chicago (Oct 2nd – Oct 19th) on Business (For me) and Pleasure (for her) and decided to stay at the Trump Hotel Chicago and we were truly surprised with the experience we had. We came in with very high expectation, which were not only met but very much surpassed in many instances. The hotel was beautiful in design as was the layout (I am not however in love with the design of the bathroom, especially the position of the toilet within it which is a bit of a let down for this class of facility). The hotel overall and the rooms in particular were in excellent condition, always clean and neat. What I really enjoyed and what I think made our experience standout was the staff. From the Housekeeping, Bellmen, Reception staff and especially the concierge who did their job exceptionally well. I would like to point out a member of the concierge team in particular I believe her name was Kathelena who was super in assisting us and especially my wife who had a lot of questions to ask on a daily basis.

I have stayed at many 5 star hotels and couple of 6 and 7 Star hotels as well. This was truly a great hotel. Especially if you can get it for good price. (I believe the rack rate is a bit high. But relative to other hotels in Chicago it didn't make it seem as bad)
Looking forward to our next stay at the Trump Chicago.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, October 26, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I am delighted to read just how much you enjoyed your holiday and our Hotel features among the most wonderful hotels you have stayed in.

Thank you for acknowledging the friendliness and attentiveness of our team; it is certainly with great pleasure that we take every opportunity to exceed your expectations and we do hope to ensure you will want to return.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcoming you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I stayed at the Trump for 5 nights in mid-July. I had seen the building when it was still under construction the year prior and had my eyes set on staying there on my next visit to Chicago. I was lucky to find a very reasonable rate on Hotels.com.
The location is about as good as it gets: a short walk from the blue line coming in from the airport and equally close to a couple of other subway lines. The river is right there, Michigan Avenue around the corner. The Art Institute, Millenium Park, the Field Museum are all within easy walking distance.
While I was surprised at the tight check-in area, the staff behind the desk was very courteous and efficient. (I had shipped my luggage beforehand and was happy to see that I was not charged for receiving it, whereas I had to pay $20 for shipping a small package to the Swissotel the year before.) The staff everywhere in the hotel was super nice, without attitude, and always available. Brunch on Sunday was expensive but sumptuous and I did not get any bad vibes when I was still hanging out after two hours, enjoying the views, reading my Sunday NYT, and having yet another nibble from the huge assortment of food.
The room was superb: very spacious, a fabulous bed with immaculate linen, the impressive floor to ceiling windows, a BIG bathroom, and the overall quiet of the place.
I highl recommend searching for a good rate and indulging in this 5-star experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

I don't stay at a lot of really top end hotels. For me it's mostly Hiltons etc. However, I've stayed at the Drake in Chicago, the St. Francis in San Francisco, The Four Seasons in Atlanta and The Ritz in Pasadena. In my experience nothing compares to the Trump.

The hotel itself is not what you expect. The footprint is small so there's no grand entrance. However, the rooms are very very nicely appointed - I can honestly say that I have never felt sheets like that before. The location - a block off Michigan - is fantastic.

However, what makes the Trump so much better than anywhere else is the service. With the exception of the St. Francis (which is awful) top hotels like those listed above always have great service. However, the Trump is in a class above the rest. I stayed two nights. Every single time that I encountered a hotel staffer they were open, friendly and helpful. Not once were they on the phone with a friend, chewing gum or acting like the clerks that I am used to seeing at Hilton class hotels. I went into the gift shop one morning and, as my foot entered the doorway the girl behind the counter said "I have to go into her cell phone" closed it and walked up to see how she could help me. Each time I entered or left the hotel the bellstaff were first class. Each time I called for assistance with whatever the phone was answered immediately and whatever I needed was done instantly. Call to order breakfast - fast, exactly right and tasty.

I'm not saying that there aren't better hotels somewhere in the world. I'm sure that the super rich stay in places that I can only dream about. However, the super rich don't bother with Trip Advisor. This site is for people who don't always get pampered. And, for those of us who don't travel by Gulfstream, I simply cannot imagine how a hotel could be better than the Trump. If you get the chance - stay there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, October 19, 2009
Dear Guest-

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and delighted that you will be coming back to stay with us again. Thank you for your warm acknowledgements of our team and for complimenting our team of colleagues for their friendliness. It is certainly with pleasure that we ensure you hold such fond memories of your stay.

Along with my team, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Although we are from Chicago, we love to spend weekends when we can in downtown Chicago. After spending our time at the Trump, I feel like I just got home from a wonderful vacation without the jet lag! The attentive staff, elegant rooms and beautiful city/lake views were all part of the reasons that our stay was so wonderful. My only complaint was that we had to go back home! Looking forward to our next visit in November to this 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest-

Thank you for taking the time to post such a magnificent review on TripAdvisor from your most recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I sincerely appreciate you complimenting the professionalism of our team and extent of our facilities.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again in November.

Vice President & Managing Director

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago? Share your experiences!