“Fantastic hotel on the Michigan river right in the middle of downtown.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 172 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Fantastic hotel on the Michigan river right in the middle of downtown.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

The Trump was perfect. My wife and I were on our honeymoon and this was a fantastic final hotel in our 4-week US road trip honeymoon. They upgraded us two levels and we had a gigantic (I think 800+ sq ft) room with a Lake view. It had a kitchenette (the only thing missing was a oven) which was perfect since I have food allergies and prefer to eat food I cook since I can be positive what it did and did not contain or come in contact with. Finally, the bathroom was amazing. A giant soaking tub that fit two, a great shower and a bathroom mirror that had a TV in it.

The trump is right next to the South end of the Magnificent Mile of shops on Michigan Avenue. My wife and I walked that one afternoon on the way to a Cubs game at Wrigley. And with that said, the concierge was able to get us great seats at a reasonable price to a sold out Sunday afternoon game. I was not sure we would get the tickets, but not only did he find some, they were in the fifth row down the third base line. Perfect!

The only downside to the hotel was the ridiculous charges for room service and valet parking. A six-pack of Sam Adams beer was $30 not including the room service delivery charge of $4. Seriously, it is a $8 six-pack of beer, and $4 to deliver to the room, WTF? And the valet parking was ~$50/night. That is not a typo $50/night! Yet at the same time, it was our honeymoon, so the cost didn't really matter, even if they were annoying.

The Trump is over the top and exactly what one would expect for the $400+/night the rooms cost. Yet even though expensive, I think it was worth it since the rooms were more than twice the size of rooms we were in prior hotels on our trip. Also, it had the kitchenette and fantastic bathroom with a great view of the Lake. Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
Dear Guest,

I would like to extend my congratulations on your marriage and thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago to celebrate your honeymoon.

Thank you kindly for your positive review on TripAdvisor. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

Vice President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Without doubt the best hotel in Chicago and one of the best hotels in the world. My wife and I were in Chicago to visit our son and decided to stay in the Trump as we had stayed in the Peninsula and Four Seasons in previous years. Our city view room was exceptional and larger than most suites that I have stayed in. There was a kitchen in our room which is vital for people living away from home for two weeks. It was ideal to have the option to eat out or just to relax in our room and have something light to eat.
The gym facilities are amazing. The view from the gym is worth going there alone but when I did pretend to work out my treadmill had its own fan and iPod docking station. Simple idea but something that is not in very many gyms. Of course it was spotless and appeared to have equipment for a serious workout or a guy like me just going through the motions.
When we ate breakfast at 16 (the restaurant within the hotel) we received personlized attention and exceptional service from our server (he showed us where the best views were in the foyer so that we could take better pictures of the Chicago skyline for our family to see). I normally don't eat breakfast but 16 made me break that rule every day throughout my stay.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chicago. It is very well priced for the service and quality of hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.

I am very pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you regard our hotel to be one of the best hotels in the world. Thank you sincerely for commending our service team in this regard. Your kind recognition will be very well received.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcome your return to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

Minocqua, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

We made a short (3 night) trip to Chicago and stayed at the Trump International Hotel with our 11 month old baby. From the very first minute when we stoppe the car at the Valet, we were made very welcome and everybody was extremely helpful and courteous. Upon check-in our baby boy received a little stuffed cow which he really liked and is now part of his stuffed animal collection he likes to fall asleep with. There was a glass of milk and a cookie waiting in the room for him as well as a real baby crib with proper mattress and not just a "Pack & Play".
I have to admit, the Trump Organization has figured it out: "Happy Baby makes Happy Parents"! Everybody knew our babyboys name and everybody looked extremely well after him which gave us even some time to relax while eating.
The food in "Sixteen" is very good and we definately enjoyed a great Sunday Brunch. Agian, plenty to chose from for our baby as well.
The Spa is excellent and once again, everywhere within the hotel we went we felt very welcome and were treated with courtesy and respect.
Overall an EXCELLENT experience and we will be back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 12, 2009
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to learn that you consider your recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago to be among the best family getaways you have experienced. It is very pleasing to read that our efforts to ensure your little one is comfortable are so warmly acknowledged.

chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

My Mom and I stayed here for Mother's Day. The King City View Room was HUGE and extremely comfortable and inviting, very warm. The beds were excellent. The bathtub was amazing with well designed hardware. The color palette was beautiful. I would highly reccomend the pool and fitness center. Some of the room service and spa menu items are outrageously expensive, even comical sometimes, but there was a great variety on the menu, which is great for people with special diets, or just someone feeling like a peanut butter banana panini is a more interesting choice for breakfast then your ususal coffee, muffin, eggs bacon...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, T. COlm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 5, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate Mothers Day and for taking the time to post a review of your experience. I do hope you will be returning to visit us again in the near future; we certainly look forward to welcoming your return.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Plus points: Checkin was quick and friendly. Hot towel at the checkin counter a nice touch. Room is a nice size, all amenities very good. Bathroom is nice - I actually like the 'wet' area for the bath + shower. Toiletries etc. are own brand but seem pretty good. The hotel is also in a good location suitable for business or pleasure - near the loop and Michigan avenue. Having the kitchenette in the room is good too (but read the negative) - housekeeping washed up the cup/saucer/bowl/measuring-cup I left out. They also supply an electric kettle as well as the nespresso machine.

Negative points: housekeeping is a bit random, on the one evening I was in the room they came round to do the turndown service at about 9pm. It would be better if they could ask for a preferred time and schedule to those times.

Also I bought some milk+cereal to have a simple breakfast in the room. Housekeeping disposed of the milk on my second to last night. Maybe I left it out, but it would have been nice to have a note at the very least about why they removed it. The fridge is also full of the usual overpriced minibar junk. I'd recommend making a specific point of confirming with housekeeping they aren't going to throw anything away. Also a point for our UK visitors - no teapot or coffee jug, but you can use the measuring cup.

Compared with the Peninsula and the 4 Seasons it's close but not quite as good.

-- Harry

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I have noted your comments regarding late turndown and housekeeping disposing of your food items without your permission. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.
I do hope we will have the occasion to welcome you back again and to exceed your expectations on your next stay.

macomb, mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My family of four(kids 8&11) stayed for two nights over the Memorial day weekend. We had a Deluxe King City View room on the 26th floor. We booked through the hotel and got a special rate of $199 a night. The regular rate is $399 a night.

PROS: The hotel is in a great location. My family was able to walk to all of the local attractions. Plenty of restaurants close by. Hotel staff were very courteous when we arrived. The room was nice. We had a great view of the sunset. Plenty of room for four people. Stocked mini-bar but it was expensive. There was a 7/11 about a block away so we bought our snacks there. Also a Dunkin Donuts right across the street. Bathroom was excellent. Kids loved the TV in the mirror. The bathrobes were super soft. They even had robes for the kids. Beds were comfortable. About an hour after we checked in they brought up cookies and milk for the kids. Kids loved the pool but said the water was cold.

CONS: When we made our reservations we requested for our room to be ready at 2:00 pm. When we arrived they said the room was cleaned but a supervisor needed to check it first. We ended up having to wait in the lobby for an hour until they finally checked us in. When we made our reservations they asked for our kids ages and names so they could have a "goodie pack" ready for them. When we checked in they didn't give us anything. After dinner we called the front desk and asked about the kids pack. They sent up a small mesh backpack with crayons and a coloring book. On their website they promise a lot more than that. Maybe because it was Memorial Day weekend they didn't have the time. The only complaints I had with the room was the sliding bathroom door. I would have preferred a bathroom door that gives you a little more privacy. The sliding glass door, with no lock, doesn't work for me. We never did have enough towels. The first morning we took our showers we noticed we only had two bath towels and a bigger towel that was probably a pool towel. We told the front desk when we went out that day we needed at least four bath towels. The maid came and did the room and still only left two bath towels. We had to call maintenance because the TV wouldn't turn on. The maintenance guy came right away. Turns out the maid knocked the power cord loose when she was dusting. The day we checked out the valet brought the wrong car from the parking lot. We had to wait 15 minutes for them to get the right car. They did give us some bottles of water while we waited.

OVERALL: I would go back to the Trump if I got the promotion rate of 199 a night. I wouldn't pay the normal rate though. For that price I would expect everything to be flawless. It was a very nice place but it wasn't perfect. I give it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. It is of course with great concern that I have learned housekeeping did not meet your expectations on more than one occasion and that the kids special goody bags were not available at check in as stated in your reservation. I can appreciate what an inconvenience it was for you and the family to have to wait for extra towels and the kids treats.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Vice Presidnet & Managing Director
Central, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Trump over Memorial Day weekend with one notable exception, which I will get into later. Our arrival was an indication of things to come – the valet took the car and let me know it could be delivered with :10 notice whenever I wished. We recognized the bell captain “Emanuel” from his days at The Sofitel where he took good care of us. Our bellman, Shawn, was friendly, polite and very knowledgeable. Shawn waited while I checked in and the sons were given their “Trump Kids” amenity. The front desk staff was professional, yet it seemed to throw them a curve when I made a request to change my room – yet remain in the same “room-type” category.

We had reserved a King Suite with a city view and reservations had assigned us to a room ending in “28” which I knew to be facing the IBM Plaza – something I didn’t want – so I requested to be moved to a room ending in “02” which had a commanding view of River North. One may access the floorplans in advance of the stay at:

www.trumpchicagohotel.com/Accommodations/interactive_floor_plans.asp

The request was accommodated and Shawn showed us to our room and explained everything from the pushbutton “Do Not Disturb” sign to the espresso machine (which makes really awful espresso, I must say). He took his time and made us feel like VIP’s. Our suite was spacious and comfortable, decorated in muted grays and the furniture is some kind of dark wood. The view was mostly north along Wabash with a small view of Lake Michigan and the Hancock as well. It was nice to have two flat-panel HD televisions in the suite with a DVD player for each. It was also nice to have two full baths! The linens were crisp and comfortable. My wife though the bed was a bit soft, but it was fine for me. Our pillow menu requests were honored accurately and promptly, even though we had requested a different room upon check-in. This turned out to be the one thing that housekeeping got right.

After getting settled, we went straight to the pool, which has a commanding view east down the Chicago River to Lake Michigan. Unfortunately, there was no telephone in the pool for us to order a cocktail, so I had to walk out to the spa area to do so. It took a half-hour to deliver the drinks which, we found later, was the exception rather than the rule. The server had also bought the milk and cookies amenity for our boys and wondered if we would prefer that he deliver to our room instead. We did prefer that, and he took care of it. It was really a nice touch – each boy’s name was written on the plate in chocolate and they told us later “it was the best cookie they ever had!”

We used in-room dining for one breakfast and a dinner. I was impressed that Trump stocks Spiegelau crystal in the kitchen. The full complement of plates, silver and kitchen tools were most welcome. In-room delivery time was accurate to the minute on both occasions. The graciousness and competency of the server was most welcome and the quality of the food simply marvelous. Trump clearly has its room-service down. My wife forgot to include a bottle of wine with the dinner and it was delivered within :05 minutes of our order. It was wonderful to have a refrigerator in the room, and we brought a bottle of bubbly for us, sodas and juices for the kids and had a place to stow our deep-dish pizza leftovers!

Chef concierge Joseph Coston was helpful with CTA bus information and dining options and concierge Kathleen Zubroski had scored excellent Mary Poppins tickets for us in advance of our arrival. The Trump Concierge staff is the best I’ve seen in Chicago and we’ve stayed at all of the luxury hotels with the exception of the Park Hyatt.

My spa treatment was, in a word, transformational. I can highly recommend therapist Jon Meltzer. The amenities in the spa are first-class and the locker/shower facilities are the finest I’ve seen. It was neat to be able to choose an aromatherapy for the steam room from a tray of three options. The Kohler multi-head shower with music and lighting in the men’s locker room is especially wonderful. Chilled, bottled water was in abundance as were towels and grooming materials. I didn’t use the Sauna.

This would have been a perfect stay had it not been for ongoing issues with Housekeeping:

#1) I asked Housekeeping for a larger bathrobe and slippers as the standard robe and slippers don’t fit me. I was told they would be delivered promptly, but they were not. I ended up having to get a larger robber from the Spa locker room and never did find slippers that fit.

#2) On our first night in the room, the turn-down staff showed up at 5pm, just after we had returned from the pool. We informed the person that we didn’t want any turn-down service during our stay until 6:30pm at the earliest. At 6:00 pm – turn-down comes to the door again! We send them away again. At 6:30, when we are leaving for Mary Poppins, they arrive for service. We ask them to be sure to leave extra pillows and blankets for the boys on the sofabed. We arrive back from the show at 10:30 pm to find one pillow and one blanket on the sofabed. To their credit, within :10 minutes we had the extras we had requested.

#3) On our second night, turn-down shows up AGAIN at 5pm and we tell them AGAIN no service earlier than 6:30pm. AGAIN, another knock on the door at 6pm. We ask them to come back at 6:30 when we plan to leave and make clear that the extra pillow and blanket we had saved from the previous night is to be used AGAIN. We arrive back at the hotel from dinner at 8:30pm to find one pillow and one blanket on the sofabed. AGAIN we must call for additional pillow and blanket.

#4) On our third and final evening in the hotel, we were tired from a day of Lincoln Park Zoo and shopping so we went to our room at 3:45 to find the housekeeping staff just starting to service the room. OK – we decided to go to Rebar for a drink, and enjoyed another nice view of the river. They served us a small tray of nibbling items including my fave - pitted kalamata olives. The sushi menu looked good – and expensive – but we only wanted a drink and the view. We returned to our room at 4:30 and were disappointed to find housekeeping still there. This time, we remained in our room to ensure that an extra pillow and blanket were delivered and the sofabed was made up. And guess what – at 5pm turn-down knocked on the door AGAIN.

This is a five-star hotel for crying out loud. They are supposed to note these kinds of things after being told once. I didn’t’ get a chance to register any complaint with the management before we checked out because we had a schedule to keep. However, I was able to note the issues on the follow up guest survey I received via email the day after checkout. Bottom line – we would stay at the Trump again as 95% of the stay was really great. You cannot beat the location and, with the exception of Housekeeping, staff members were responsive and gracious.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve. It is of course with great concern that I have learned housekeeping did not meet your expectations on more than one occasion.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago? Share your experiences!