“5 stars - zero disappointment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“5 stars - zero disappointment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

All I can say is wow. We stay at hotels a lot. And every time I've stayed at a luxury hotel in the past, I've been disappointed. The Trump changed all that. At $199 a night on a special Travelzoo deal, I decided to give the Trump a try and indulge a little for a Mother's Day stay with my kids. I was impressed from the moment we arrived. We valet parked and our bags were brought inside for a smooth check in - every staff member addressed us by name. Kids were given backpacks with cotton candy and coloring books. Bellman brought us to our room; as we got off the elevator, I could tell we were headed to the river side of the property. I was so surprised & pleased to see we had been upgraded to a larger, partial river view room. The room was kind of wedge shaped so the panoramic views from the floor to ceiling windows were amazing. Furnishings were in a muted purple with taupes and grays and looked just like the pictures on the website. I had ordered some amenities (gourmet popcorn, candy jar and chocolate covered strawberries) ahead of time to surprise my kids, and all were in the room just like I had requested. A few minutes after we arrived at our room, the bellman returned with little stuffed animals (pink and blue cows with a Trump Kids logo) for each of the kids - told me they had inadvertantly been left out of their backpacks at check in ( I was later told that the kids names and ages hadn't been updated into my profile- we only booked one day prior.) I asked about robes and slippers for the kids, and housekeeping brought them a few minutes later. We opted to relax and order a room service lunch - kids had a burger & fries and grilled cheese with tomato soup. I got prosciutto di parma with buffalo mozzarella on grilled baguette. Food was amazing and presented with real silverware and a fresh orchid. The server asked if we would be dining at Sixteen later; I told him I thought the experience would likely be lost on the kids, but he mentioned that anything on the kids room service menu could be ordered at the restaurant - I'll keep this in mind for next time. As it stood, we kept out reservations at Harry Caray's - an easy 2 block walk from the hotel. After lunch, we checked out the pool. You have to sign in at the spa on the 14th floor to use the pool, but the staff was very helpful and personally escorted us to the locker rooms. Kids enjoyed a nice swim while I relaxed and enjoyed the views of the Chicago River & Lake Michigan. Headed back to our room to get ready for dinner and found housekeeping was already there to turn down the bed. They don't leave wrapped chocolates on the pillow, rather a lovely glass tray of assorted chocolates and a gumdrop my kids fought over. Before swimming, we had asked for a game console, and we found a Playstation 3 and a few games had been delivered while we were out. Kids had a little trouble with the controllers, but maintenance came up quickly and brought the connection cable we were missing. Kids enjoyed a Wall-e game while I got ready. When we came back from dinner, we found the sofa bed had been made up just like we requested at check-in. What we did not find were cookies for this kids, which I thought were part of the Trump Kids amenities. A quick phone call to the front desk, and a few minutes later, in room dining brought up 2 large chocolate chunk cookies with glasses of milk. Kids couldn't even finish them. After the kids fell asleep, I took a bath - the bathroom is lovely, with a TV in the mirror as well as an adjoining tub and shower. Tub was deep and long with a waterfall faucet and I was able to indulge and enjoy a long bath - I am 5' 10" and the tub was quite comfortable - this is rare for me. The shower has a rainfall head as well as a separate handheld shower massage. Robes for adults were in the bathroom and a digital scale and hair dryer were available as well. Bath amenities were very ample size - much larger than most hotels. Bed was so comfy - I loved the pillows but there was a pillow menu if you wanted something different. Kids couldn't wait to wake me up and open the curtains - all controlled with convenient wall switches. The view was even more impressive than the day before. We ordered room service for breakfast - my breakfast would have served all 3 of us if my kids weren't so picky. I ordered a "Heart Healthy" combination for $27 which included choice of juices (from orange to cherry pomegranate,) a blueberry muffin with assorted jams & honey, a large fruit plate with 4 kinds of berries, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple and oranges, a huge bowl of Swiss Mueslix with pecan halves, slivered almonds, chopped apple and dried apricot, and coffee, tea or skim milk. I didn't eat half of it - just so much food. Kids pancakes and french toast were $9 each but served with more fresh berries. We had time for another swim before checking out and wished we had booked more than one night. It was such an enjoyable stay. Had a few glitches at check out - our breakfast charges weren't on the bill and the website had promised business cards for the kids with their names printed on them. We had lunch and shopping planned so we agreed to store our bags and come back later to get the kids' cards and my corrected bill. Was so pleased to find out the valet would keep our car until 5PM, included in the $52 daily rate from when we checked in - we took full advantage. I was handed an envelope when we got back - they recognized us. I just assumed the envelope had the cards for the kids and my bill, but once home found only the cards. I'm sure they sorted the bill out and if I don't get a copy in the mail, I'll give them a call and ask. Our stay was not seamless; but whenever things didn't go quite right, staff went above and beyond to rectify matters, and were always apologetic and cordial. What I loved most about the Trump was the lack of pretentiousness. As far as I could see, all the guests were treated well and addressed by name. Even bell staff in the elevator greeted us and asked us how we were enjoying our stay. I felt like we were being welcomed back rather than staying there for the first time. It was really a delightful experience. This is what a luxury hotel should be - friendly, professional staff, gorgeous rooms, great food and perfect location. This hotel is a real gem and we can't wait to go back.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 20, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago with your family for Mothers Day. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you would recommend your experience. We hope you and your family will have the opportunity to dine in Sixteen upon your next visit. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

As a treat, my husband and I decided to stay here for the night preceeding Mother's day. We live in the suburbs of Chicago but enjoy overnighting in the city about 3 times a year. My children and cousin accompanied us just to check out the rooms but they were not staying overnight.
Arrival:
serivce was excellent. We valet parked the car, our bags were taken by the bellman, and our names were obviously placed into the computer system because less than a minute later, when we were checking in, the front desk staff called me by name. We were provided four lavender scented hot towels, and though my children would not be staying, *(and I told the front desk this,) the staff, nevertheless, gave my two children each a backpack containing cotton candy, a stuffed animal and crayons/coloring book.
So very nice!
Room:
Our bellman took us to our room on the 17th floor. Each room has a doorbell and a light as its "do not disturb" system. We stayed in a standard King and got an unbelievable $199 deal. Our room was the largest standard room I'd ever been in (and we've stayed at luxury five star Ritz, Four seasons, etc..); this room was about 600 sq. feet. Regular rate for this room is $475. The room was done in muted mauve and earth tones. It was lovely and modern/tasteful. It had a velvet sofa, table, chair desk; not in any way cramped. Closet space was ample with a comp. umbrella. extra shopping bags as necessary. The bathroom located next to the front door contained a wet area for shower/soaker tub and a tv was built into the mirror.
Back in the hall: along one very long wall was a high end galley kitchen with 2 burner meile cooktop, microwave, diswasher, fully stocked, euro cabinets with granite, a large minibar and a espresso maker which makes espresso by inserting small packets of coffee (I can't recall the name for this type of system). Used it in the am. Great coffee and easy to use! Room had two bathrobes, two sets of slippers, all toiletries necesssary (just like Ritz, etc.).
This was the most beautiful and comfortable bed I've slept in. I wanted to take it home. High end frette sheets, pillow menu (including herb scented, if you wanted). Bose music system with ipod dock and free wireless internet. Turndown service was lovely and our floor was absolutely silent overnight even though there were a lot of kids staying at the hotel this weekend.
Things one doesn't often think about are easily available here: 24 hour room service with extensive menus (even overnight) and extensive ability to serve dinner in the room or hold a catered cocktail party. (all for a high price, of course) as well as all of the concierge service, personal shopper service, etc.. you would expect of a 5 star hotel.
We did not eat here, but the bar and hotel resturant, 16, get good reviews elsewhere.

Spa
The healthclub and spa are connected. Tea/coffee/comp juice, water, etc.. all toiletries, towels, etc.. are available in the locker room. Steam room and sauna are located in both men's locker room and women's locker room. The only SLIGHTLY disappointing aspect of this hotel is the small size of the pool. It was not particularly large and max depth is 4'6" w/ no outdoor space. All indoors, nicely appointed comfy furniture, and nice floor to ceiling windows.

Overall: Ive never stayed anywhere nicer. I don't think I ever opened any door myself other than the door to my room! The level of service was astounding down to the valet leaving bottled water in our car for our trip home. Cant wait to find an excuse to stay here again. The level of service was amazing and the staff EXCEPTIONALLY professional and pleasant whether you appeared to be wealthy or middle class. Wide variety of guests stayed the weekend I did and and everyone I saw was treated very well.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President and Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 11, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago with your family. I am pleased to read that you would recommend our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend Mothers Day with us.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

I live in the Chicago area and decided to book the hotel for a weekend getaway.
I found cheaper prices for the hotel through expedia and hotels.com. Trump hotel website prices are higher. But if you call the hotel directly they will match any competitor's rate.

Upon arriving service was impeccable. They make a point to know your name at arrival,
take your bags, check-in. I requested a quiet room and chocolate covered strawberries for my mother's day getaway. The front desk was more than polite. The front desk person personally escorted me to my room.

She showed my the amenties and if I had any other questions to let them know.
Shortly thereafter the bellman showed up with my luggage.

The room was very big for hotel standards. over 600 sq ft.
The bathroom had a deep soaking tub- heaven! Large shower head with a handheld shower as well. TV was in the mirror. Fluffy very comfortable thick spa like robes.
2 items lacking:
-Lack of towel bars to hang towels
- speaker system for music in the bathroom- they have this at other hotels. would have been nice to play music and enjoy a bath.

Kitchenette- had all the essentials- dishwasher, sink, stovetop, dishes, silverware.mini fridge, microwave
items lacking: soap, dishwashing soap and towels and washcloths.-
There is an awesome espresso machine. Easy to use, very good espresso.

Bedding: most comfortable bed I have slept on ....you certainly get more than enough pillows. I had 8 in all!

Bose clock radio and ipod docking station- wonderful

40 inch LCD tv with DVD below in cabinet. -excellent. Figuring out the DVD was tricky since you had to go thru the main menu- if you have problems ask the front desk.

Wireless- free and fast!

Drapes: push of a button and they automatically close.

Lightning: all lightning in the suite is on dimmers... wonderful!

Overall the service is wonderful. Room was amazing.

Hotel lives up to it's expectations. I even had chocolate strawberries at no charge.

Parking is expensive- but that is to be expected. You are in downtown Chicago- every hotel and even the public parking garages are pricey. Don't expect cheap parking in the city. You are better off taking cabs, buses or the L.

The hotel is more than accomodating to your needs and wants.

Hotel restaurant although very snobby and chic- service and attention is wonderful.
Breakfast very overpriced, but that comes with the territory. High end hotel, high end prices. If you have problems with prices at a hotel like this, this isn't the place to stay.

Excellent hotel and location. Walking distance to mag mile and the stores.
5 stars!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
TrumpHotel, Manager at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 5, 2009
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review, and for taking the time to share your thoughts with the world. We strive to constantly improve our services and listening to our guests and responding to their requests and feedback is an essential part of that process. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

TIHT Managers
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Trump is a beautiful hotel inside and out located on the Chicago River. I stayed in a one bedroom full kitchen suite. My room was extraordinary. View was nice. The bathroom has a walk in shower and separate toilet. Main distinction in bath area is the in mirror television. The suite has a full kitchen equip with dishes and pots and pans and a microwave oven. Living room has a sectional and a desk with wifi. Suite comes with a fireplace. I was impressed.

Issues I had: none of the televisions works throughout my stay, luckily I was not there to watch television.

Parking is 50 dollars a day! The guys that parked my vehicle returned is covered in what looked like paint, but I was able to wash it off. No one acknowledged it!

When I went to complain that 50 dollars a day should protect my vehicle from such things everyone looked as though I was crazy and hilucinating and imagined the whole thing.

I called to have the televisions fixed to no avail. The televisions continued to shut on and off all night waking from my sleep and creeping me out.

Upon check out the service clerks were extremely snuddy and unapologetic for my stay. For someone who has recieved perfect service at places that I have spent less money the tower of Trumps is not worth it! 600+ dollars per night should include a few perks for the guest, and at the very least superb customer service.

After I wrote a letter to the hotel about my stay I was compensated for 2 nights of parking.

But I gave this hotel an overall of average, because I will not patronize the hotel again! I would rather pay more money to a hotel I know will fully satisfy my needs. Anything more than average mean I would stay there again, and this is not the case for the Trump towers.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, T. Colm O'Callaghan Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.

I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed with the parking and by the lack of concern for your stay upon departure.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.

New Hope, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Stayed last weekend at the Trump Chicago (#2634) and I must admit I just didn’t get it.
Sure it’s a nice say with attentive staff, good amenities, Bose iPod dock, clean and well maintained rooms with great views and comfortable beds. I would expect no less. But why do I need a fully kitted out island kitchen in my suite??? What do you do with a dishwasher with no soap to do any dishes? Same with the sink, no soap to clean up even if I did dirty the full set of dishes, silver, wine glasses and cookware (there is no exhaust over the cook top so even if you really felt the need to do any real cooking you most likely would set off all of the building’s smoke detectors). Was I to just leave a sink full of dirty pots, pans and dishes for housekeeping? It seems just an odd amenity to make it completely peculiar and useless in my view. I don’t travel to be a hermit in an SRO-like hotel room, I don’t care how opulent it is. Also, it had the strangest shower/tub layout I have come across in a developed country. Why do the tub and the shower need to occupy the same space and why just a single sink and no separate room for the toilet? The suite also had a lighting control system designed by NASA. I couldn’t imagine ever having the need for so much light control in a 700 sq. ft. room.

Overall, it is a nice new property with a good location and I did enjoy my stay but I must say I must not be cut out to live like “The Donald”, all a bit theatrical and affected for me including the $1000. “Trump dinner” on the in room dining menu.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

one of the best fitness centers, i thought the hotel was great when i first visited in 2007 but after visiting in june of last year, i have seen better hotels in chicago like the four seasons, conrad, sofitel etc.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

My new wife and I stayed at the Trump Hotel and Tower in Chicago as a special treat on our 5 week USA Honeymoon.

My wife and I have travelled many times to different places in many different countries, and this is by far one of the most amazing hotels we have ever stayed in. The service, amenities, rooms and staff are all absolutely amazing. We were thrilled with every single aspect of our stay and we just wish that we could have spent even more time there.

The manager of the hotel left a beautiful platter of chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne as he knew that we were on our honeymoon. All the staff seemed genuinely eager to please, especially the concierge desk who really couldn't do enough for you. On a couple of occasions they recommended restaurants to us, and they were excellent each and every time.

We absolutely loved the whole city of Chicago and can't wait to get back there is just so much to see and do. But the main reason we'll be back is to come to the Trump. Mr, Trump you should be impressed! The staff & hotel are a real credit to you - this place is amazing.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago? Share your experiences!