“Trumpin in the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Trumpin in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

At first glance the lobby is a little smaller than you would expect but the size is made up for in the rooms.

The spa was average and nice but not impressive. The views from the gym were grade A and the restaurants were very nice as well.

Overall I would recommend due to location but not price.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Package purchase wasn't worth the extra money and valet brought back car covered in bird poop. The facility was incredible and the room was definitely first class. The bed was one of the most comfortable outside of home.

• Stayed July 2014
West Bloomfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I grew up in Chicago and I know the city intimately. I have lived there and stayed in every category of hotel in almost every location. If you want a first class experience, this is the place. The rooms are spacious, and the service is professional and prompt. The hotel is within walking distance of well, everything. The views offered here are unparalleled and the drinks or meals at "16" enhance that experience. As you might expect it is not an inexpensive location, but in my opinion this hotel gives you what you pay for.

Room Tip: You must spend extra and get the river / lakeview side. The view is breathtaking and is classic Chi...
Green Features: You can opt out of daily linen and towel change to save water. They use biodegradable cleaners
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

As much as I don't agree with some of Mr. Trumps actions when it comes to politics, etc....I have to give him one thing. He knows how to create a luxury brand like nobody else on this planet. The customer service I received at Donald J. Trump property Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago was hands down the best I have ever received in my life at any hotel I have stayed at. From the concierges, front desk staff, room service, the restaurant service...I was just so impressed with the class and knowledge of everyone that works at this hotel. I give this place a 10/10 rating and highly recommend it to anyone staying in Chicago. It was also a pleasure to meet Mr. Trump himself at the hotel...the man has presence. ‪#‎trumpchicago‬

Room Tip: everything is awesome
Green Features: The staff at Trump from every single area was the best I have ever experienced. I can't stop thinking about how amazing and smooth everything was.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
LaPorte, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The room was fully dressed to the nines, however it was not clean, for the pricing you would expect that it was dusted, the deodorizer they use is a bit strong, or the venting was not clean. That would be my major disappointment. If you are alerrgic to animals, then be careful, cause dogs are always around this location from the residential side which has a joining lobby. imho dogs and cats should not be in hotels.

Room Tip: 21st floor suites have best view of riverwalk and lake michigan, breathtaking views.
Green Features: Non-Smoking facility as per law, level 16 is outdoors so you can smoke there, atleast we did see people doing so. and there is a nice section by the garage door in the front with ashtrays for smokers outside the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mequon, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Our experience was fantastic, The front desk staff was amazing. Very pleasant and professional. When we checked in late in the day our room was still not ready and they quickly upgraded us to a room that was ready. "Sixteen" Outdoor/Indoor Restaurant, Bar and Patio were awesome. Rooms very nice and well appointed. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Finally had a chance to stay at the Trump in Chicago for one night in July. When checking out, I was asked how my stay was. I said "Fine" to which they replied "Only fine?". I thought for a second and replied "Yes - that's not bad." Fine does sum up my experience.

First, I had to park. With Valet parking exceeding $70 a night I decided to use self parking. Even that was $54. However, my car had an excellent view over the Chicago River to Lake Michigan. I was going to park at a nearby for less but decided to use the self park lot in the Trump building for convenience. However, it isn't so convenient. You have to go to the first floor, go outside, and then back into the Trump lobby. For the price I at least expected direct access to the hotel. I wished I would have parked at an equally close but $9 cheaper alternative.

Check in was wonderful. The personable clerk was friendly and efficient. In a low key way he inquired about my plans while in Chicago. The warm towel was very nice. They even let me check in a few hours early. So far, this was great.

Upon entering the room (Deluxe with city view), I was surprised that it wasn't larger. There was a large entry hallway where the "kitchen" items were - dishwasher, microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker, etc. The bathroom was fine - single sink with toilet and a glass wall separating the shower/bath area. The toiletries were nice but difficult to get out of the stylish bottles. Only one bar of soap was left in the room although there was shower gel.

The part of the room with the bed was not noticeably large - I was expecting more. The bed was quite comfortable. The TV and internet were great. I have a Nespresso coffee machine at home so I liked having one in the room.

This was definitely a view of the city facing away from the lake. At least I wasn't in a room looking directly at the Langham which was across the street. The draperies were controlled by switches on the wall. The switches were behind a table that contained four bottles of outrageously priced waters. When reaching over one time I knocked some bottles over. If I had to pay the $25 for "Bling" water (plus at least tax) I would have been upset. Luckily the bottles didn't break.

Upon returning in the evening, turndown was done. Robes were placed across the bed, water on the nightstand, and an electronic aquarium was on the TV (very nice touch). After carefully closing the drapes I went to bed and had a good night of sleep. No noises from the city.

Based on the outrageous room service prices, I decided to join other guests who picked up breakfast at one of the very nearby places. On my return I discovered coffee/tea in the lobby. That coffee was quite good.

Checkout went well and then a trip back outdoors to the self park entrance. I thought it was odd that I couldn't charge the self parking to the room but that's not really a big issue.

Having stayed at other 5* hotels in Chicago, I found the Trump fine but not outstanding. Not much to differentiate it from nearby 4.5* (Conrad) and 4* (Palomar) hotels in Chicago. In my opinion the Langham across the street is far better in almost all aspects for very similar pricing. The Trump did have the kitchenette but I really don't find that to be a useful addition to the room.

Not a lot of complaints (for example, elevators were always a longer wait than expected, housekeeping ran the dishwasher at turndown for just one glass and one coffee cup) but for me the "Wow" factor ended after check-in.

As initially stated, the stay was fine but I'm certainly not going to pay Trump prices again when better-than-fine alternatives are available.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago? Share your experiences!