“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$50 Credit & Comp Parking
Ranked #6 of 167 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The best hotel stay we have experienced in many years of traveling. The terrace and views were great. The staff couldn't do enough. We will return. Would recommend the Trump Hotel for business or pleasure trip and Chicago is a great city to visit and with the Trump's concierge desk it made visiting very easy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel for business and pleasure and that our Concierge team made your trip to Chicago easy.

We look forward to welcoming your return in the near future.

1,297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Besides surprising my wife by taking her to the Trump for the night of our anniversary, I also wanted a string of surprises to show up at the door of our suite when we got there (a certain box of Belgian chocolates, then a bottle of champage, then our close friends, finally an elegant dinner in the room). Everything had to be timed just right. They managed my complex request with diligence and efficiency...all over email. And then when my wife decided to take a shower when we arrived...which completely messed with the schedule, I made a call down to reception and they adjusted instantaneously...recalling the first messenger who was already in the elevator up. The dinner for four, served in our room was absolutely delicious. The media system made it easy for me to plug in my old Hi-8 video camera and show the movie of our wedding. The room itself and the view was gorgeous. There is a reason that the Trump is a five-star hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am so very pleased to read that our team was able to assist in arranging your anniversary surprise for your wife and that you enjoyed your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We certainly appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome your return in the near future.

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Dear Mr Trump,

For my (business) stay in Chicago, I opted to stay at your hotel, which has the reputation of being the leader of the top end Chicago hotel scene. Let me introduce myself as a seasoned traveler who has stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world. When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast magazine, Travel & Leisure (see my other reviews). So I only like the best of the best (e.g Banyan Tree, Four Seasons, Aman, Rosewood). In a nutshell: your hotel infrastructure is beyond spectacular, but when it comes to details and service, it’s just a Four Season’s wannabe that never comes even close to the original.

PROS :
-Your skyscraper is spectacular and without any doubt one of the architectural marvels of Chicago.
-Location is brilliant, dominating the Chicago river and close (walking distance) to the Millenium Avenue.
-Rooms are spacious and offer all modern amenities one can dream of. Bathrooms are spectacular with high-end toiletry and a divine bath. River view rooms come with a breathtaking view throught the floor-to-ceiling windows.
-Spa is definitely worth a visit (do not miss it on your trip).
-Everybody was very friendly.
-Internet is free (I hate it when hotels charge for that).

CONTRAS :
-At check in, I was unpleasantly confronted with a line, which meant a 15 minute wait (with only 2 staff members checking the guests in). Not what you expect at a top hotel paying top prices. I know that the hotel was fully booked, but nevertheless, a top hotel should be able to run smoothly at top capacity.
-The lobby is rather small, and feels cramped when many people are present.
-Only 3 elevators serve the 27 hotel floors. I am not picky, but I had to wait for the elevator quite often, with many stops along the way from the lobby to the 27th floor (where I stayed) or back.
-I ordered room service once and was promised at the phone that is would not take longer than 35 minutes. After 45 minutes, I got a phone call to apologize for the delay, with final delivery after 55 minutes. I was fully charged for the room service, but a top end hotel would have waved the charge as they annoyed the customer with the delay and did not fulfill their set goal (being the delivery within 35 minutes)
-I was ‘horrified’ by the plastic plants in the corridor and the rooms. Please, either remove them or replace them by real plants, as plastic plants are so tasteless in such a high end hotel.
-I tried to swim a couple of times at the very nice pool, but the pool was always overrun by screaming children and families. I realize that your hotel aims to be family friendly, but it might be a good idea to introduce some adults-only hours to guarantee those that want it some relaxing time at the pool.
-I missed a hot tube near the swimming pool.
-The hotel occupies the first 27 floors of the skyscraper. Just realize that there are a lot of rooms that do not come with a spectacular view.
-The rooms were not soundproof. I stayed at the 27th floor and was still bothered by the street noise.

I had a look at the Four Seasons while in town. While the building is far from as spectacular as yours, I may consider this as being the best hotel in town. Your hotel has so much potential, but just fell short on a few occasions (something that is not tolerated at the price tag one pays to stay at your top end hotel).

Room Tip: ask for a high floor with river view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your business stay in Chicago and for sharing your feedback regarding your experience. While I am very happy to read your appraisal of our property and team, I was of course concerned to learn of the areas which left you to feel disappointed. I have noted your comments and suggestions regarding the waits you experienced in the lobby and with in room dining and we are taking this feedback onboard as an opportunity for improvement. I also apologize if the flowers and plants were not to your liking, they are delivered fresh routinely from Amlings and Heffernan Morgan and Ronsley.

Our team at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago makes every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set ourselves; we strive to ensure our guests recognize the services and facilities we provide as offering a high level of value and warmly memorable experience. I would like to reiterate my apologies if in any way we fell short in this respect. I do hope you will allow us the occasion to restore your confidence in our hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a business conference. Service was excellent. Room was large with a fridge and very comfortable king bed. The front desk staff were very accomodating and helpful when we asked to switch our room from the city side to the river side of the hotel. They were able to get us a great room. A very polite young bellman (he said he had been on the job only two days!) helped move our belongings to the new room. Great place to stay in a great city!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago during your business conference and that you regard our service to be excellent. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay; I truly appreciate it.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome your return in the near future.

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I booked the trump for a get away night for my birthday. The room was lovely, check in service very nice and had a drink in rebar with the fabulous view. Two main points to this review are 1) we had a room that could adjoin but door was closed and locked. There was an infant in the next room who cried the entire night and we Could hear every scream loud and clear. That was not expected of a 5 star hotel, especially one newly built. 2) we had a romantic dinner earlier at the 16 restaurant. We enjoyed the food very much but there was a family at 10pm seated next to us with two toddlers who were very disruptive, on the table and ended up cutting themselves and needing medical attention. So disappointed in that. Actually shocked that the restaurant would allow toddlers in the dining room at that hour. Upon checkout the clerk did not ask how our stay was and I was visibly ticked off. Another clerk took me aside and asked if she could help. I ended up communicating our tribulations with a manager who did offer some recourse but I had to follow up with her twice to get her to respond. She stated they are a family friendly hotel and That includes the restaurant. I had no idea that those policies would ruin our stay, but they did. People making plans to stay or eat here should know that, I wish I did. And further please ask for a room that cannot adjoin!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities. I sincerely apologize you were left to feel disappointed after learning of our family friendly policies and that you felt your experience fell short of your expectations.

I hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Chicago as we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was fortunate to stay at the Trump International Hotel & Tower mostly for business. The only negative from the whole experience was that I only had one night in this incredible hotel. Wish I could have stayed another week!

Everything about this hotel was luxury, five-star, and yet not at all stuffy or overly formal. It was very busy because we were there on a Saturday. All hotel staff I encountered from the valets, the bellmen, the front desk, etc. were polite, professional, and attentive. Excellent service. Hot, eucalyptus towels presented at the registration desk. They gave a complimentary upgrade to river/lake-view room simply because (as explained by the staff member checking me in) they wanted my stay to be that much more enjoyable.

The room itself was everything you'd expect of a luxury, Trump property...and then some. Upon entry, I was greeted by the Bose clock radio playing soft classical music, a fruit tray, a dessert plate with excellent little macaroons and custom truffles with the writing "Good Luck" on the plate, and a handwritten welcome note from the manager. Such a surprise, and a very nice touch. My room was on the 24th floor near the end of the hall and had a prime view of the Chicago river & lake and downtown area. The room was very spacious with a full kitchenette, 42" LED TV, lighting that could be set to various levels and even centrally controlled from a switch by the amazingly comfortable King bed, drapes controlled by switches on the walls, and much more. The bathroom was beautiful...complete with a fantastic rainfall shower, and a tv built into the glass of the mirror....definitely the first time I'd ever seen something like that.

We did not eat at the 16th floor restaurant, but some of our co-workers did and said it was quite good and offered amazing views of the city. The hotel itself was in an excellent location that made it very easy to walk and explore Michigan Ave, Millennium Park, the River Walk, and much more in the limited time we had in the city.

I'm fairly easy to please and never require top-end hotels with nothing but the finest amenities, but the Trump International Hotel and Tower made it easy to see just how wonderful those types of splurges can be at times. I wanted for nothing, anything I could have needed or wanted was there on site, and as I mentioned above....it didn't come with a stuffy or snooty atmosphere. I was comfortable from the moment I walked in until the moment I left.

This was my first visit to Chicago, and I loved it. I've also now been spoiled by this amazing hotel, because now anytime I come back, I'm going to want to be right back here at Trump! I hope to be back again soon and 110% recommend this hotel to others...it was truly a beautiful property that I will not soon forget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience and I am overwhelmed by your kind and detailed appraisal of our team and facilities. I am of course very happy to learn that you found our team to be welcoming and that your regard your time spent with us, while short, to be memorable.

Thank you again for recommending our hotel; we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Trump Chicago is the best five star hotel I have ever stayed in. Everything from the housekeeping, room furnishings, turndown, bell service, views, and restaurants were outstanding! I had the Lake View room and it was definitely the best choice! I could see Lake Michigan, the Chicago River, and parts of the skyline. I ate at Sixteen and it was excellent, as well! Great hotel!

Room Tip: Lake View Room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago while travelling with your family and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.
I am pleased to read you regard your stay as the best five star experience you've had and that you found our services and facilities to be outstanding. I am also happy to read you had the opportunity to dine at Sixteen and that you enjoyed your experience.

We certainly look forward to welcoming your return in the near future.

Vice President, Managing Director

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago? Share your experiences!