“Trump Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Trump Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We spent two days in Chicago for my wife's bday. They have excellent service and are very professional. Our son received a kids welcome package (cookies, milk and stuffed animal) and my wife received a small cake for her b-day. Great location for walking to restaurants, shopping, etc... The only negative was that the windows facing the river view were extremely dirty.

Room Tip: I used Magellan vacation travel agency and they upgrade your room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read that your stay to celebrate your wife’s birthday exceeded your expectations and that we were able to ensure your stay with us was relaxing and memorable for the whole family.

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for recommending our hotel to your friends.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

Vice President, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Perfect but a lack of imagination for the design. It's a bit like if you were in a designer catalogue.
Staff and service are really 100% perfect like the location. The suites at the 25th floor are an experience but the price there is really expensive.
One of the best "modern" luxury hotel I've ever seen like the Setai 5th av, in NYC . But there is a difference (a "je ne sais quoi") between a perfect luxury hotel and a palace !

Room Tip: Ask a river view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was really prepared to hate every minute of staying at the Trump when my husband and I pulled up and were completely ignored by the doorman, bellmen, and valets who were all standing about talking to one another. I'm fine with opening my own door and getting my own luggage out of the car and opening the lobby door on my own when I'm not staying at such a luxury accommodation. I expected a great deal more attention and was pretty disappointed especially when a valet finally noticed our presence and then stood by while I hauled my luggage and my husbands luggage out of our car myself as he watched. (My husband was trying to find the valet key for the car.) The doorman glanced at us but went right back to his conversation with the other staff and let us take care of ourselves. As we waited to check-in, I watched to see if this was their normal level of attention but everyone that pulled up after us, got the royal treatment. I actually began to have the rather unusual feeling of being roundly dismissed and was about ready to grab my husband and go back home. But then the lovely lady at the front desk greeted us warmly and after getting us quickly checked in, walked us to the elevator and got us started on our way to our room. From that moment on - our stay was heaven. Lest anyone think we arrived in a beater car wearing torn flannels and blue jeans - we did not. But even if we had, we should have gotten the exact same courtesy from the door staff as every other guest arriving at Trump. Anyway - on to the good parts. I had booked an Executive King Lake View room and we were impressed from the moment we walked in. The decor was warm and inviting. We had a king size bed with comfortable mattress and a variety of pillows. There was a great kitchen area with large refrigerator, microwave, a two burner stove top and even a dishwasher. Best of all there was a Nespresso machine with a selection of coffee and tea to make on our own. I loved the variety of bottled waters and couldn't resist trying at least one. There was a roomy seating area with a comfy couch, chair, ottoman and coffee table on which sat a lovely tray of fresh and dried fruits. We had a large LCD TV - looked like 42" and a Bose radio that we could connect our iPods to. The bathroom had two vanities, an enclosed shower stall and a huge soaking tub and piles of fluffy white towels. We threw open the curtains (actuallly they open with a switch on the wall!!!) in the main room and stood looking at a view that we had never had the pleasure of seeing in all the years that we have lived in Chicago and stayed in the city. We were pretty much eye-level with the Wrigley clock tower and felt like we were floating on the river. We could see Navy Pier and the lake as well as Michigan Avenue and several of the architecturally beautiful buildings along the river. We were mesmerized. And we used to live in the city with a great view of the lake and Navy Pier as well as the north side but this was a truly exceptional and special view. And of course, everything was still lit up for Christmas which made it extra special. My husband and I both run our own businesses and were much in need of a relaxing weekend and our room at the Trump was the perfect place to unwind. We spent more time in our room then out enjoying the city! One of the great surprises of the weekend was the free WiFi. One of my biggest complaints in my reviews of other special accommodations in the city is their propensity to charge you a king's ransom to access the internet so I was fully expecting Trump to do the same. In fact, I didn't even bring my laptop figuring I'd be just fine with my phone. I would've enjoyed writing this review on my computer while enjoying our fabulous view! I still wish my first impression would've been more on the level with the exceptional service we received later. One of my favorite hotels in Chicago has a doorman that remembers my name from the moment we are introduced and addresses me by it my entire stay which is a great personal touch. Fortunately, the Trump doormen we encountered later were on top of things and when we called for our car, it was waiting for us as soon as we stepped off the elevator, so I'm hoping that our first impression was an aberration. We will definitely give Trump another chance to impress!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions after your stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and for recommending our hotel.

Rest assured we will investigate your comments regarding the arrival service and lack of assistance and I trust you will find an improvement in this regard should you return to stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are Chicago born and have happily lived our married life in suburbia. On the occasion of our 40th anniversary last month, he whisked me into the city for an overnight stay at the Trump Hotel.
We have stayed at many downtown Chicago hotels over the years, as well as having traveled quite a bit in the USA, Canada, and Europe. I must admit that this was quite simply the best hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. From the moment of arrival you are treated with professional yet comfortable personalized service. The lobby is quite understated yet well appointed. Elevator access is by room key only, a nice security feature. Guest rooms lack for nothing, right down to a fully appointed kitchen with high end appliances.
Upon returning from dinner, we found a wonderful bottle of champagne chilling in our room, along with a presentation of huge chocolate dipped strawberries. The note accompanying them was signed by the hotel manager, wishing us a happy anniversary. What a thoughtful gesture! There was also a phone message checking to see how our stay was going and providing us with the number to call should we need anything at all.
The bed and pillows were wonderfully restfull, and the rooms are very well sound proofed . We heard no hallway passerby at all. In the morning we made coffees in our Nespresso machine before heading into the lobby for complimentary coffee service. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was delicious. Check out was seamless.
The only minor glitch of the stay was that somehow our room keycards were deactivated prior to check out, which necessitated our haing to wait for a staffer to let us into our room to retrieve our bags. However at least we knew they take their security seriously, which is important nowadays.

Stayed December 2012
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to extend my congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago to celebrate this occasion.

Thank you for sharing your detailed experience on TripAdvisor and for recommending our hotel.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent three nights at Trump Chicago after Christmas with our two young daughters. Our children were greeted with welcome gifts, special treats in the room (cookies, milk, gummy bears), and children's robes and slippers. Every employee that we encountered during our stay went out of their way to acknowledge our daughters. This made us as parents feel like a million bucks! As parents know, content children are the key to an enjoyable vacation! Our entire family was made to feel welcome and our every need was attended to by courteous, friendly staff. The follow-up by staff was thorough almost to the point of being a bit intrusive at times. For example, we called housekeeping for extra blankets and pillows, and within 20 minutes after receiving these items, we received two follow-up calls to make sure that we received what was requested. I'm not complaining, as we are appreciative of the thoroughness of the customer service protocols, however some of the phone calls may have been overkill.

ROOM- We stayed in a deluxe river view suite. The views of the city were stunning, and all of the room amenities were fabulous. The bathroom was large with double vanity, separate soaking tub and shower. The room also included a guest bathroom with shower. We enjoyed the kitchenette and dining table set for four. Our room was very quiet and we never heard any noise from the hallway or other rooms. The turndown service was a particularly nice touch. The beds were comfortable enough, but not the best that we've had. The top sheet had a ripped hole in it, which seemed odd for this caliber of hotel. The next day though, this sheet was removed and replaced.

SPA- This is the only area that I would rate 3 stars. The pool and "locker rooms" are utilized by adults and children. This often made the spa very loud and hardly tranquil. At times, there were several people in the hall leading to the locker rooms, some were larger, loud families and others were couples dining from a food cart. This seemed out of place for a spa environment. The steam room and saunas are very small. The pool is accessible through a maze-like drab hallway that felt very institutional almost like a run-down YMCA.The pool area has stunning views of the city, but the pool water was not clear and the entire area felt a bit grungy. It was also very loud given the large number of people and children using the pool.
There are no plunge pools or hot tubs, which are two seemingly small amenities but this seems to make a big difference between a mediocore spa and a top notch spa experience.

The spa relaxation lounge, however was very comfortable and tranquil with a nice array of teas and healthy snacks. We had mother-daughters manicures and pedicures, both of which were excellent! Again, the staff went out of their way to make sure that the children thoroughly enjoyed their services.

We dined at Sixteen and had cocktails at Rebar. Both were enjoyable experiences. Rebar has a very swanky atmosphere and beautiful evening views of the river and city.

The concierge assisted us with babysitting services one evening, and we were thoroughly impressed with the experience. We were given a biography of the sitter before she arrived, and our children absolutely loved the sitter.

We enjoyed the little things like watching how the building was constructed on the Discovery Channel and the impeccable attention to details in the room such as dimmers on all of the light switches, live plant in the bedroom, and books in the living room.

We look forward to our next opportunity to stay at Trump in Chicago.

Room Tip: Hotel floors are 18-27. Requested a high floor room. All views are amazing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am very happy indeed to learn that you consider your recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago to be among the best family getaways you have experienced in Chicago. It is very pleasing to read that our efforts to ensure your little ones are comfortable are so warmly acknowledged.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

I do hope you will be returning to visit us again in the near future; we certainly look forward to welcoming your return.

Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed at this Trump Hotel 4 times now....and will return many more times. I have zero complaints, and only praises.

Staff are well trained, and ready to bend over backwards for any request. When we were departing, a staff member overheard my girlfriend talking about a pen she forget to pick up for a friend. The staff member ran two blocks to get it....and I mean ran. Found one of the girls at the desk to be a little snooty once....but that's opinion based.

The rooms are perfect, and the beds are amazingly comfortable.

We do not frequent the restaurant there, because we go to Chi-town for history and authenticity.

5 stars Trump...see ya soon

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago on TripAdvisor. I would also like to thank you for your ongoing loyalty to our hotel. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your fifth visit in the very near future.

Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I am only 22 years old, an entrepreneur and stayed 4 nights at the trump King Suite to meet some business associated in the area. The helpful staff, outstanding food, impeccable view, and elaborate rooms don't even scratch the surface of this hotel. I was very pleased and felt it was worth every penny. When you pull up to the hotel and see a Bentley, and two Maserati's you know this place is where the best say. They really try to make you feel like a king, and make sure that you come back again (it will probably work on me). I felt like I was the youngest one there, but the staff still showed me the up most respect and I felt very catered to whatever need I had. I respect the effort Trump put into this hotel, everything was best of the best. Great job Trump Chicago Staff, keep up the great work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Once again, thank you for your comments about our service and for choosing to spend your time with us.

Vice President, Managing Director

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago? Share your experiences!