“Nice, but not what I hoped for.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Credit & Comp Parking
Ranked #6 of 168 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wheaton, Illinois
“Nice, but not what I hoped for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Trump Hotel review...not top hotel in Chicago or USA. Hotel is very nice, service is very good. Room maybe best view in the city. Room was dusty, furniture marked up. Looked forward to a good meal at Sixteen, and it was good, beautiful view, but not best food in Chicago by far. We looked forward to having a light dinner at Rebar. When we checked in at noon, Rebar was closed but sign said open at 3:30. We went down at 5 and there was a new sign that said Rebar was closed until 10:30pm for private event. Would have bent nice to know that. We ended up at Roka Akor instead and it was amazing. Room service was good this morning, but when I left (husband left before me for a business flight) and I walked past the front desk and out past the bellman desk and to valet, loaded down with bags, not one person offered to help with my bags. VERY surprised and disappointed. I would have thought that at least one of the six Trump employees I passed would have offered to grab a bag to help me. By far the old Elysian/new Waldorf is just far superior. We have been there twice and there is just no comparison. Service and rooms at Waldorf, more expensive but far superior.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.

I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed with the furniture in the room and the lack of signage that Rebar was closed for a private event.

I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. I would therefore hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Chicago.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.

Vice President & Managing Director

1,306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Westchester County, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed here for a recent business trip and was blown away by the amenities, the room and the location. First off, when you check in they give you hot towels to wipe your hands. My room was on the Spa Floor (14M) and was by far, the nicest room I've ever stayed in. You need your key card to access the elevators but one keycard will work even if you have people going to multiple floors.

The room was enormous with a king size bed, couch, 2 chairs, a table, a desk etc. Even with all the furniture, there was a big open space and it could have easily fit 8 people comfortably (not to sleep but to be in the room) and then some. The nicest part was the window. One half of the room was entirely covered by windows that had an amazing view of the river, the lake and the Chicago skyline. Automatic curtains slowly opened to reveal the breathtaking view. There as even a set of binoculars to go with the view.

The room featured plenty of cable channels (including the entire HBO lineup), workout videos and a set of weights (The room was big enough so that 6 people could work out to a DVD together if they had too), a soaking tub with a set of spa bath salts, body creams etc, a stand up shower, a TV in the bathroom mirror so that you could watch TV while you were getting ready, lighting that you could change with a touch of a button (evening, daytime, fully on, nightlights etc), fluffy robes, coffeemaker, fridge and decent bar to name a few.

The bed was super comfortable and in the morning they had complimentary Harney and Son tea and coffee.

I will say that the service was just ok and not as good as other luxury hotels I've stayed in such as the the Four Seasons. No one offered to take my luggage when I walked in, no one attempted to open the door when the car pulled up, and in the morning when I left, I needed a cab and there were a bunch of people standing around talking and no one asked if I needed a ride/cab etc. I had to approach them. Also, there was no cream at the complimentary coffee/tea area. I mention this not because I'm being a snob but just to give a comparison against other luxury (and even not so luxurious) properties.

All in all the room itself was nothing short of amazing but the service can be a better. I still gave it 5 stars because I was blown away by the room and amenities, but as mentioned, service was not up to par with other hotels in the same category.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a detailed review of your recent stay. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by the lack of assistance with your luggage and locating transportation for you upon your departure.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your husband back to our hotel in the near future.

Vice President & Managing Director
Bradley, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Trump for 2 nights in November. It was nothing short of fabulous. At check in we were upgraded to a River View Suite room. It was very large and beautiful. Full kitchen, living room with fireplace, dressing room, large bedroom, and 2 full bathrooms. The mattress and bedding are the most comfortable that we have ever slept on. Best nights of sleep we have had in a long time. The main bath had a large stand alone shower, bath, double sinks, and a TV in the mirror. Top notch throughout!
As this was to be a relaxing getaway for my husband and I we decided to book the couples massage in the Spa. It was a little pricey but in my mind, worth it! It was more than just a massage, it was a full experience. Upon checking in, we changed in to robes and slippers and relaxed by the pool which was very quiet. There are also saunas and steam rooms in the locker rooms to use. We then went into the spa lounge which was relaxing. We were treated to complimentary sparkling wine while waiting. When called back we sat in soaking infinity tubs for the first half hour then on to our 60 minute massage. It was one of the best massages i have ever received.
One great thing about this hotel is that we never felt out of place. We are not wealthy people and this was a splurge for us. But we were treated the same as everyone else.
Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn how much you and your husband enjoy your vacation time with us. I sincerely appreciate your comments concerning the attention we pay towards training and developing our colleagues and we understand the importance this plays in ensuring your holiday experience exceeds your expectations.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times, love the location, size of rooms (suites), view of the lake, and staff.
But the concierge service is not at par for the property. I can't rely on anything recommended by any of the people at the desk.
Love the Audi car service, nice touch.
The mattress in my suite needs replacing, dips too much from use.
But overall it is good value.

• Stayed December 2012
TrumpHotel, Director of Rooms at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by your initial experience with our Concierge team.

I welcome you to contact me directly by calling the hotel at 312.588.8000 so that I may fully investigate your experience. I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Nienke Oosting
Director of Rooms
Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We’ve stayed at the Chicago Trump a few times; always a delight. This stay, the Hotel Manager greeted us on check-in and presented our nine-year-old daughter with cotton candy and a “bling” Trump baseball cap, followed by a large chocolate chip cookie with all the “fixings” in our room as a birthday greeting for her. It was a fun experience having all this attention being showered on our humble family in the midst of movie stars and TV and sports personalities who were going about their business in the hotel all around us. Whatever reason that brings you into Chicago, it will certainly be enhanced with a stay at the Trump.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Woodstock, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have stayed at the Chicago Trump a few times and have never been less than 100% thrilled with everything from our service and beautiful rooms to the fabulous food and tasty martinis. The rooms are spotless and oh so comfortable from the bedding (I am sheet snob), to the furnishing to sit back and enjoy the view. Pricier but if you are looking for truly spectacular, this is it.

Room Tip: We called the day we were traveling and got a great rate hundreds less than the best rate online.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
TrumpHotel, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for commenting on our Bellino Italian linens.

South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Recently stayed at the Trump for the second time this past month. Upon checking in we were upgraded to a larger room which ended up being a suite. It was a nice gesture by the staff especially since there was a rather large meeting going on and I was rather surprised by the upgrade. The room was wonderful. Always clean and well maintained. The service staff was excellent and very attentive without being pushy. The front desk staff was also very welcoming upon checkin. The concierge was helpful and friendly and arranged dinner for us on short notice and was able to get things set up without any problems. The location of the Trump is wonderful in Chicago. Very close to shopping, restaurants and anything else you might need. One night we enjoyed the in-room dining because we just wanted to stay in and watch Monday Night Football. The food was better than expected and the service, once again, was very attentive but not pushy at all. When traveling to Chicago this hotel should certainly be on your short list.

Room Tip: Get a suite with a view over the river if you can. Wonderful view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Once again, thank you for continuing to chose to stay at Trump Chicago. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

Vice President, Managing Director

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago? Share your experiences!