“A Different B&B and a Great Find....Really Enjoyed Staying” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added House 5863 Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
House 5863 Bed & Breakfast
House 5863 Bed & Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5863 North Glenwood Avenue, Chicago, IL 60660   |
Ranked #21 of 25 Chicago B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A Different B&B and a Great Find....Really Enjoyed Staying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

On a lark, I decided to venture to Chicago in the winter to visit some friends and catch a show. One of my friends said there was a B&B near his house in Edgewater. I checked it out and decided that it would be great to stay in Chicago neighborhood rather than a large downtown hotel. I was quite happy with my choice. House 5863 is a bit different: its contemporary, clean and quiet. Breakfast is not communal. Rather, the proprietor set out a variety of self serve items, from croisants, pastries, bagels, cereal assortment, etc. The kitchen coolers are stocked with water, juices, sodas, and snacks... all available anytime. Our room was quite comfortable: outfitted with a King bed that was probably one of the top three beds I have ever slept in. Room was spacious and above all, quiet. Nice plasma television. There is also a great common sitting area, a deck and a garden, which I didn't have much use for in the winter, although I am sure it is an attraction in the warmer months. Important to me was the fact that the B&B was located in a great Chicago neighborhood close to friends and a block or two from the Red Line "El" to downtown Chicago. I was able to walk to restaurants and to some great Chicago pubs, or could jump on the train and be downtown in minutes. In sum, I would gladly stay again and do recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 3 which featured a large in-suite steam room which was great to take off the Chicag...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here with a friend while visiting another mutual friend who lives in Andersonville. It's a bright, well-kept little place with adequate amenities. I liked the key code entrances to both the inn and rooms - it definitely makes life easier not having to keep track of one more key/card.

The room was clean and cozy, with a very comfortable bed, and a modern and spacious bathroom. The room was a decent size, but unfortunately there is no closet - just a bar with some hangers in the corner - and just a few drawers. This wasn't a big deal for us, since we were only staying for two days. If you plan to stay longer, though, you may be a bit crunched for clothing space.

The kitchen was well-stocked with snacks and breakfast all day. There is a nice shared living room space. I didn't spend a lot of time there, but the friend traveling with me said the couch was cozy and wifi very convenient for getting a little work done.

One last note: They only have rooms with king beds. I was traveling with an old friend and we didn't mind sharing, but otherwise it's really more conducive to couples.

Room Tip: Be sure to check whether the room is en suite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at House 5863 recently on a short business/vacation trip. Enjoyed ease of access and the quiest neighborhood. Met the owners shortly after my arrival (I arrived late in the evening and was provided with an access code to get into the B&B and nto my room). Asked for dinner recommendations and was very pleased with their choices. I like to read an the weekend that I was there was a beautiful fall day. I sat in the downstairs garden and enjoyed a fire that the owners had build in the garden area. Actually fell asleep for a bit... ha ha. Overall, enjoyed my stay and was glad to find a place close to the city, the trains and the Andersonville neighborhood. Was close to friends, the neighborhood and the trains to down town. Definitely on my menu of places to return to.

Room Tip: Room four is adjacent to the back deck and garden area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked a room at House 5863 two months in advance of our stay, and were told we have to pre-pay for the rooms. After we had paid, we received confirmation along with instruction on how to access the B&B and the room in the event that we arrived outside of normal hours.

Upon arriving at 6:00PM, we discovered the house to be unstaffed, and our room to be occupied. When we phoned the "emergency" number, we couldn't get anyone on the phone, so we left a message. We had flown from London, UK, mind you, and were travel weary and needing to make a 7:30PM show downtown.

After not getting a return call for 20 minutes or so, we tried again and got through to someone. She rather tersely said that she would look into it, and phone us back. After another 20 minutes or so when we hadn't heard back from anyone, we phoned the emergency number again. The woman, who identified herself as one of the proprietors, said she couldn't call back as she didn't have international dialing. She said she was on vacation but that her "roommate was around" and had let other people use the room without checking the online calendar. She asked if we could move the luggage to the waiting area and just take occupancy. These people had upacked, there were used towels around the room, dirty clothes, shoes, etc. I explained this and she said she could have someone there between 9:00pm and 10:00pm to clean the room and remove their belongings. Alternatively she offered a refund.

I pointed out that we had also missed a theatrical event for which we had purchased tickets due to this error, and I thought she should refund the cost of the tickets as well. She said she'd have to look into it, but could only promise a refund if we chose not to wait 2-3 hours for someone to come and sort it out.

As these other occupants now had keys to the room (the house is unstaffed apparently, and you get your room key only after entering the room using a security code), and there was no other accommodation available at House 5863, we were forced to seek other accommodation in Chicago on the Marathon Weekend. We have yet to receive an apology, let alone a refund.

In addition to not having been refunded, we incurred significant cost in a highly inflated room charge, we missed a theatrical even for which we could not obtain a refund or reimbursement for the tickets, not to mention the £3 per minute spent calling the proprietor to try to resolve the matter upon our arrival.

This was by far the worst experience I've had at a Bed & Breakfast, Hotel, Motel or other tourist accommodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

House 5863 is a wonderful gem of hotel (i.e. bed and breakfast inn) located in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago. House 5863 is a quiet, clean, and quaint wonderful inn with most modern features that any large chained hotel will offer for their guest. The price was affordable as the accomodation was luxurious. The kitchen area offers everything in the sun that a professional, business, or leisure traveler need in their stay plus the living area has a modern business center with a laptop computer connected to the internet and printer for any business and professional printing demands.

The inn is safe and secured with most modern safety controls and devices plus House 5863 is located with reasonable walking distance from CTA Red and Purple Lines trains along CTA bus lines. In addition, the location of House 5863 in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago offers perfect environment of shops, restaurants, museums, theatres, and entertainment options (i.e. bars/lounges on the upper scale). House 5863 caters to all market segments of the leisure, professional, family, and business traveler.

Room Tip: Private bath rooms are very spacious and awesome
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed at 5863 for two nights in April 2012. We stayed in Room 1 which I understand is the best room. We were extremely satisfied and would certainly stay there if we ever visited Chicago again.
I intially chose 5863 because of the good reviews, mistakingly thinking it was near the city centre. After booking the room, I discovered my error, so I posed a question about the area on TA and got some rather negative comments. I was annoyed with myself for not checking those details first and to make matters worse, the cancellation policy of the establishment is quite severe so I resigned myself to the worst, consoling myself with the thought it would only be for two nights any way.
In the event, my fears were completely groundless.
Room 1 was very large and well appointed. We were more than satisfied.
The continental breakfast was more than adequate and there was an extensive selection of items to chose (for a self serve arrangement, don't confuse it with a buffet breakfast at a 5 star hotel).
As for the surrounding area, it seemed perfectly fine to me and met our needs perfectly for the two nights we were there.
We relied on public transportation and it was easy to walk to Thorndale station where the trains semed to run very regularly. If we had a car, I am not sure how I'd feel as there didn't seem to be a lot of parking spots.
We never saw the manager. I know some people don't like that sort of set up.
I suppose there are pros and cons about that. An intrusive or unfriendly innkeeper is certainly worse than no innkeeper at all. In this case, we experienced no issues of any kind so we didn't miss that interaction with the owner.
Over all, I would rate staying in Room 1 as a superior experience and have no hesitation recommending it to fellow travelers, especially if they welcome the opportunity to save money by not having a room down town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Aston, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Visiting a friend for 2 nights who lives in Andersonville so I wanted to be close enough to her house. We arrived a little early and called, as the reservation suggested, to see if we could get in our room early. After several phone calls, we were still unable to reach anyone. We used the code we were given to open the door right at 3 and got in. There was no sign of the manager. We stayed in room 2 so we had the detached bath--bath met our needs (although the shower is a little tricky). Had problems with the shades in our room so we called the number in the in-room book and the number was disconnected. Finally got the manager via the other number (was probably a cell because he said he'd show up in 15 minutes which he did). The book also stated that we would have housekeeping service each day which only happened in the
bathroom. Also, still problems with the freezer/refrigerator like someone mentioned in their December 2011 review. Continental breakfast was fine. I sleep deeply which was fortunate because walls are paper thin. Suggestions: more towels, daily housekeeping, more visibility of manager and updated in room info. I'd stay here again only because it's a good value and I am not in the room much at all.

Room Tip: Pick room 2 and save money with detached bath
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to House 5863 Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!