“Two Day Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District

You added Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District to your Saves list
Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 W Monroe St, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Park/Play Discount
Ranked #18 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Two Day Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel was clean, quiet and in a great location. All the staff members we encountered were friendly, helpful and very accommodating. We would like to especially mention the outstanding service at the reservation desk by Brandi.

The breakfasts were great....couldn't have asked for more. Also, liked the idea of having coffee available throughout the day as well as the fruit. We had a great experience. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Leighann L, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Monica P,

Wow! We could not ask for a better review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it! It is so wonderful to hear that you had a great experience and we can't wait to welcome you back! I have passed your review along to my entire team and they were so thankful for your kind words. I am so glad that you were able to receive such fantastic service from Brandi. She is a great asset to our team.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Hampton Inn Majestic, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The rates at this hotel seem to vary tremendously--anywhere from $80 to $300 or more a night. I was fortunate enough to get a very good deal for a stay on Thanksgiving night. The rates skyrocketed on Black Friday, though, so I chose to move to another hotel after staying just one night.

When the price is right, this property offers the best aspects of both a chain and a boutique hotel. It doesn't really feel like a Hampton Inn, but it does offer the standard services (like free wi-fi and hot breakfast) you'd find at a Hampton in the suburbs.

Entering the hotel is odd. There's a sort-of "micro-lobby" at street level next to the Bank of America Theatre. An employee (who seemed more like a guard than a clerk or bellman) verified that I had a reservation and then directed me to an elevator that took me to the real lobby that is located above the theatre. I checked in there and then proceeded up another elevator to my room.

My room was fairly spacious for an older downtown hotel, though not as large as the "cookie-cutter" rooms at the hotels out by O'Hare. It had more character than I'd expect at a Hampton Inn, with a unique shape and an interesting burgundy color scheme. The view was nothing special. Mostly I saw an alley, though if I craned my head I could see the nearby buildings on State Street.

All the room's furnishings were pleasant, and everything was immaculate. I'm not a fan of the stark white bedding Hampton has gone to in recent years (I'd rather have an old-fashioned comforter in neutral colors), but that's the chain's issue--not this hotel's. The shower provided good pressure, and the wi-fi worked well. The complimentary breakfast was very excellent.

The hotel provided luggage storage (at the desk in the little mini-lobby at street level). The service is theoretically complimentary, though tips are expected. It was nice to be able to leave my bag while I went out exploring during the day.

Probably the best asset of this hotel is its location. It's right in the heart of the loop, less than a block from the State Street shopping district. There are dozens of outstanding restaurants within a very short walk. It's also just steps from both the blue and red line subways, which provide cheap and easy access to the entire city.

On future trips to Chicago, I'd definitely consider staying here again. I'll check the rates, and if they're competitive, I'll certainly book the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
dmbia,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the product and service we give our guests.

Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel. This time, my daughter and I stayed here for a college visit to UIC and to see a show. The rooms were large, clean and the beds were comfortable. The wifi is free and worked great. The breakfast was tasty and we enjoyed the free coffee/tea in the lobby while we were waiting for our car to be brought to the hotel. It was great to park our car and use the subway, which is easy to access. The parking attendants were very helpful and stored our luggage after we checked out and until we needed our car. They also helped me out of the city by giving me directions to the interstate. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
tmarie72,

Wow! We could not ask for a better review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it! I have passed your review along to my entire team and they were so thankful for your kind words. I sounds like you had a wonderful experience all the way around and we are so pleased to hear it!

Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We found this hotel on tripadvisor. After reading the reviews we choose to stay here. Everything was fantastic. We were on the 14th floor and heard very little noise. On our floor there were only about 7 rooms so that was nice. The staff were fantastic.At breakfast this morning I noticed the concierge gave great service to the children in the room. Just a nice touch which she didn't have to do. Rooms were very nice and clean. We had two nice size queen beds with ample room for both of us. The bathroom was very nice as well. The breakfast was very nice. We were able to walk easily to the shopping in the loop. The subway was very close. We were only about 3 stops away from the shopping/John Hancock building etc. Everything was very convenient.There were maps available in the lobby which were very useful. There were a couple of computers with large screens in the lobby which were very useful. Wifi is available but it needed some extra information which we didn't have. Wasn't important to us so I just used the computer in the lobby. My friend and I agreed we would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kayaksup,

Wow! We could not ask for a better review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it! I am glad you found us here on Tripadvisor and that your experience was fantastic. I have passed your review along to my entire team and they were so thankful for your kind words.

Lakewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Hampton Majestic is a small hotel in Chicago's Theater District and is conveniently located -right near both the red and blue subway line, walking distance to State Street and the Art Institute.

Simple yet cozy with all the amenities. The lobby doubles as the business area/breakfast service area and whlle not plush or showy, it is comfy and accomodating. The morning breakfast buffet (included in the price) was tasty. 24 hour coffee service and afternoon cookies were a welcome treat. Wifi is also included, making this a really easy visit. All the bases were covered.

Staff was courteous, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mary C,

Wow! We could not ask for a better review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it! I have passed your review along to my entire team and they were so thankful for your kind words. It sounds like you enjoyed every aspect of your experience with us and we are so glad to hear it.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and had an awesome experience. Rooms were large, very clean, and extremely quiet. We barely heard any traffic noise due to the soundproof windows. The location is fabulous---1/2 block from the red line and blue line, city Target around the corner and Macy's a little over a block away. The Christkindlmarket is just two blocks away. The only complaint was the elevators were really, REALLY slow one morning. I'm assuming it was due to the large volume of guests checking out, but we ended up using the stairs to get down---21 floors! But, we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
morgan88,

I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. I am sorry that you had a difficult time with catching an elevator and even more so that you took the stairs all the way down! During high traffic hours, they can take a little longer than normal. However, I am so glad to hear that our location was perfect for your experience and that your room was nice and quiet!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights while attending a radiology conference. Agree with the majority of reviews about the helpfulness of staff. Great central location and most attractions and restaurants easy to walk to. However, if you are short of time, no taxi ride cost more than $10 (including tip). The cooked breakfast is 'interesting!' but fortunately there were the usual fair of fruit, cereals, cakes etc. I did though, not appreciate the disposable cutlery/cups etc, (I suppose they are considered environmentally friendly ??). Otherwise, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RossGuthrie, General Manager at Hampton Majestic Chicago Theatre District, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
4mart,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your 6 nights at the Hampton Majestic over RSNA.

Hampton hotels offer a complimentary expanded continental breakfast selection. Because Hampton Hotels do not have a restaurant on site, of this they do not have a full kitchen with facilities to clean serve ware.

I understand you concern regarding the environmental affect of this. This is why in January of 2010 all Hamptons switched from Styrofoam & plastic to 100% bio degradable utensils & plates. Depending on regional availability, each Hampton uses either Taterware or Enviroware. These products are 100% biodegradable, & also made from 20% recycled material.

We would love to have you back at the Hampton majestic next year for RSNA!

Graciously,