“QPR, friendly service, location, what not to love?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

Save Saved
You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
Boca Raton, Florida
“QPR, friendly service, location, what not to love?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I love Chicago and will go back in the New York minute and this will be my hotel of choice. I don't know who and how trained the staff but the service there is just impeccable! You FEEL genuine care and the room wasn't bad either. Walking distance to major city attractions and restaurants. Hotel for the win.

Room Tip: the higher the floor is the better
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Serge B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored to hear that you had such a great visit, thanks to our convenient location, but most of all, the service provided by our team. The best compliment I receive is that it was our team that made your visit memorable and I am thankful for your generous compliments of them. On behalf of everyone here at The James, thank you for visiting and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is my second time at the James. I really like the contemporary decor and the fresh, enthusiastic staff. My room was not noise-free, but in the urban landscape, not that many places are (my room ends with the number "18"). The bathroom was a bit small, and though clean, showed some wear in the fixtures (for instance, nicks in the tub). I liked that the bath amenities were offered in pump bottles attached to the wall - very eco-friendly. My bed was very comfortable (and several different types of pillows are offered - much appreciated when one has particular pillow preferences). And the air-con worked great (90+ degree day the first day of my visit. This is important stuff!!) Finally, the hotel is very well-located, in River North, and is within walking distance of all the main downtown attractions.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear parismuse,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted that you enjoyed your second stay as much as the first, thanks to our eco-friendly bath products and especially our enthusiastic team. I am honored by your continued loyalty to us and look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were here in May of 2013 for our honeymoon. This was by far the most expensive thing we paid for in terms of the wedding/honeymoon for a single item, but really wanted just a really good experience for our honeymoon. We reserved our room at the time where you additionally got a $50 credit for appetizers downstairs, which we planned on using the first night since we wouldn't have stopped for dinner. We came straight from Fort Wayne to Chicago following the wedding, which took about 3.5 hours. The staff were very professional, but we did not receive the credit that was promised. It's not a huge deal as we walked across the street to Trader Joes and just bought some snacks instead.

The overall experience was very good except for some looks we received from mostly other people staying at the hotel (and a select few staff members). It seemed as though wearing jeans and a T-Shirt isn't very acceptable at this hotel. As this was our honeymoon and we were there to relax and explore the city, we only dressed up for dinner, but a number of times we received comments about our apparel or overheard (quite blantantly) comments on what we wore. If you are supposed to dress in your Sunday finest at all times I would expect it to be noted somewhere. Sadly, I don't think I would feel comfortable going back and would just opt for a cheaper hotel with nicer people.

The rooms were very nice, always cleaned on time, and the other staff members who didn't voice such opinions as above were really great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brenna M,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any shortcomings you experienced during your stay with us. When we started The James, our goal was to provide an upscale hotel that provided luxury liberated from the tradition of other similar scale hotels. We aim to provide a comfortable atmosphere for our guests to wear whatever they choose, while maintaining outstanding service. I apologize if you felt out of place as we want all of our guests to feel as if they are at their second home, and I am sorry that this was not your experience. I sincerely hope you will try us again and deliver The James experience that you deserve.

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The lobby is modern and has a bar area set off to the side. Beyond he bar there is David Burke Prime - an overpriced steakhouse (see my review) with decent fare.

I stayed one night here and my room was small but well-equipped with a huge wall-Mounted flat screen TV, big huge bed, and a well-stocked mini bar.

The bathroom was small and could use some freshening up. The soap/shampoo/conditioner are of the sort where there are big bottles mounted on the wall that are refilled - saving them the trouble of giving out new mini bottles every time someone sticks one in their dop kit.

There was no real desk in my small room but there was a small circular table placed next to a cushioned wall bench hat serves as my work station but would've been annoying had I had any real work to do.

The staff is professional and helpful when need be. The location is just a couple blocks removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown Chicago which makes it suitable if you want to walk the Miracle Mile and see some sights but Chicago is about neighborhoods and that should not be the extent of your stay.

It certainly seems the hotel tries to cater to the affluent 20-40 set and would be a decent place for couples. Probably not a great family place. There are gym and spa facilities but I can't comment since I didn't have the chance to use them.

Stayed July 2014
Dear StopPagingMe,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your compliments of our team and location, and glad that you also enjoyed our new televisions. Thank you for you candid feedback in regards to our bathrooms and work area; we are always trying to improve the experience for our guests and your comments help us to do this. Thank you again for taking the time to write and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Lucked into this hotel via Priceline as a last minute birthday surprise for my wife. So glad I did. From the moment we pulled up at the curb, until the movement we pulled away, our experience was perfect. The room was modern and spotless. The service provided by each employee helped redefine how good hospitality can be. The hotel was pet friendly and so were the employees. We took our dog for many walks to the nearest green space, and each time he returned to a fresh bowl of water and some dog treats.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lukyduc311,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment that I can receive is how the customer service provided by our team made for a great experience, and it is an honor that they redefined the level of service in hotels for you. Thank you again for your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to welcoming the entire family, your dog included, back again soon!

Columbus, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Due to a plumbing problem in the room above mine, my room was not available upon arrival and the hotel was sold out (as was most of Chicago). The James Hotel went out of their way to put me up in a very nice substitute hotel. Mechanical problems are unavoidable, it is what they do to make up for the inconvenience that shows their true customer service. The James Hotel is very nice and I plan to stay there again when I travel to Chicago. Great location as well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Micheal W,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience with us at The James Chicago. I apologize again for the inconvenience of having to relocate, but glad that the service provided by our team made up for this. It is an honor that you will stay with us again so we can give you The James experience that you deserve. Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Chicago, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Boutique hotel a block off of the "Mag Mile" offering a terrific location for shopping, dining, theater & general tourist attractions of downtown Chicago. Clean, contemporary, & customer service oriented.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear apackrfan,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to receive your generous compliments of our location, contemporary design, and especially our outstanding service. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!