“Perfect location ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect location ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend in February. Overall great stay!

Goods...
- Location is fantastic. Right off the magnificent mile, ton of restaurants, shopping around the corner. Also steps away from Eataly Chicago. Which is just as great as New Yorks!
- Great, friendly staff
- Didn't try out their restaurants but their speakeasy Jimmy made us some mean cocktails
- Spacious rooms, comfy beds

Overall highly recommended. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear lesleyinTO,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your compliments of us and that our comfortable rooms, friendly team, and new lounge Jimmy, made your experience a memorable one. I appreciate your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers and especially that you will stay again. Thank you for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Buford, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Good hotel central located in town. Near Many places to eat or drink. Accommodations are good but pricey. Anything downtown will be that way though. If you are a budget shopper this is not your place. But if you are looking for a nice hotel with a good bar/ restaurant thenbrhis might be your place downtown.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear John M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our bar and David Burke's Primehouse. We do offer many great rates and specials throughout the year, which can be found on our website jameshotels.com or by giving us a call. Thank you again for visiting us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My stay at The James was wonderful. I was in town for meetings. It's central location was ideal! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. There are so many good restaurants in the neighborhood, the problem is to decide "which one"!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Monty A,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our friendly team and that we are within walking distance to some of the best restaurants that the city has to offer. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This European-like hotel was very convenient and easy. Everyone was very helpful and extremely pleasant. I obtained our room from Hotwire where I didn't know what hotel we would receive. So I was a little concerned that the room might not be the best. It was great. Equally important was the friendliness of the staff. When we asked for the doorman to hail us a cab to go to the theater, he instead offered their private car and driver. It was a very nice treat. The location was fabulous with a lot of restaurants nearby. We had already reserved dinner at David Burke's steakhouse in the hotel which was an excellent choice. We shopped and had lunch the next day on Michigan Avenue which is just a two-block walk. Definitely try it - I just wished we would have stayed more than one night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Jeff F,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first visit with us, thanks to David Burke's Primehouse and our complimentary car service. Most of all, I am honored that our staff was so helpful throughout your visit and that you wished you could have stayed longer. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back to The James again soon!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had stayed here previously for work and was so excited to book the king loft suite again. The "movie" room was great to snuggle with the family and watch TV. The in room dining had amazing food. The staff was the most prompt and courteous of any hotel I have stayed at. We are already planning our next trip because of the great service and location!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Christopher B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Loft King Suite and that it was comfortable for your stay. The best compliment we can receive is that the service provided by our team made your visit an outstanding one, and I am honored that because of it, you are planning on returning. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

A week and a half ago when my wife said, “I wonder what we’re doing for Valentine’s Day!” – instead of saying “I think we’ll just stay home,” – I googled “romantic Chicago hotel weekend.”

That’s how I found The James. And a concierge named Laurelin.

From orchestrating special romantic touches for our hip, chic room to brainstorming creative gift ideas to getting us a wonderful table at a soldout restaurant, she made this bumbling husband look like a prince.

Our experience last weekend set a new benchmark for memorable romantic getaway. Or as my wife said, “Best Valentine’s Day celebration in 30 years!”

Thank you Laurelin, Bill, and everyone else at my new favorite Chicago hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear david_wojdyla,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear about the wonderful experience you had with us over Valentine's Day, thanks largely in part to the outstanding service provided by our concierge team. I am glad that their attention to detail made the weekend memorable for you and your wife, and especially that we are your new favorite hotel because of it. Thank you again for sharing your story and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I'm a real estate developer specializing in hotel development - I came to the James to anonymously check it out and it has exceeded any and all expectations - staff dedication to service, quality of room amenities and room size, cleanliness and an open, friendly, unquestioning professional attitude. There are a great quantity of hotels from which to choose in Chicago, but so far my experience here tells me there's no reason to stay any where else.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear christophern277,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is truly an honor to recieve your compliments of our team and overall attention to service, especially coming from someone who works in hospitality as well. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and am humbled by your generous recommendation of us to travelers. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!