“Great Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Nights
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Great Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed at the James for two nights for a recent city break in Chicago. We got upgraded to a studio room with a living area off the room due to our Tablet Plus membership. The room was excellent and check-in a breeze. It also has one of the best steak houses in town so we enjoyed the room service (try the truffle fries!).

If you like peace and quite perhaps ask for a room on a higher floor as the noise from the street can bother some folks. It certainly was no issue for us as we live in Manhattan so we're used to the noise. In fact I cant sleep unless there are sirens blazing in the background.

We loved the modern rooms and the clean decor of the rooms. Certainly a plus if youre into design and contemporary looks. Will definitely be back on our next trip to Chicago!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear friskygeek,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear your compliments of our delicious room service, and that our stay was excellent in our studio suite. Most of all, I am honored that you will stay with us again; we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Booked by calling hotel's own reservation line - and received a confirmation e-mail. When we arrived; however, the hotel did not have the reservation. We were able to get a room, but not quite the one we expected. Also scheduled massages at the spa, again receiving confirmation e-mail. Guess what? Spa had no reservation either.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Robert B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the delay in locating your reservation, which is an issue we rarely encounter especially when you book directly with us. I am glad that the staff rectified this for you, but am sorry to hear that your room was not what you expected; our front desk is always willing to assist in finding a more comfortable space for you as want all of our guests to have an excellent experience with us. We take low scores very seriously and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Recently had a wonderful couple of days at this property. Had lunch and it was very good, service was fast and the food presentation was excellent. One of the best things about my stay was the efficiency of Lauralin. She put together all of our travel and sightseeing plans flawlessly. I highly recommend this hotel on all fronts.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pamibowen,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that you enjoyed our restaurant and that the service provided by Laurelin attributed to making your experience in Chicago a great one. Most of all, I am thankful your your recommendation of us to fellow travelers and hope we will see you again soon!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The James is an excellently decorated modern hotel that still manages to be comfortable. The staff is all super helpful and accomodating. They have a courtesy car that can drop you off within Chicago to make for an easy way to go out for the night or see the sights.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lauren M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am thankful for your generous compliments of our decor, complimentary car service, and most of all our helpful staff and they attributed to a great experience. Thank you for your recommendation of us, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and was staying one night (a Monday night) for a conference on the 2nd floor the next day. You'd think on a school night, it would be quiet.

You'd Think.

The walls are paper thin. I was kept awake most of the night by babbling neighbors who had at least 4 people in the room, laughing, cackling and having a great old time. Finally at 4am, I called downstairs. 30 mins later, I called again because the noise was still happening. They told my my floor (8th) was quiet. So the floors or ceilings must be paper thin. They finally shut up at 5am.

Next, I expected perfect fluffy towels and a super comfy bed. I had neither. the bed was fine but not overly impressive. Although I did enjoy my pillows.

Bathroom - loved their amenities but the bathtub was in bad shape. (room 815) with a big 4inch scrape/chip on it. give it some paint/love!

Enjoyed bath soaps/shampoos, etc.

Service was fine. Unimpressed with the efforts to find my noisy neighbors.

I just wanted a good nights sleep before my big presentation in front of my new peers, my new job. I barely got a wink of sleep.

oh. valet parking is $60 which is about $15 more than other hotels on the SAME STREET. it took 20 mins for them to even get my car.

not worth the money in my opinion.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room if you value your sleep.
Dear lilyipper,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am disappointed to hear about your experience with us; we strive to provide the best accommodations for all of our guests, and I am very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations or our own. I appreciate you mentioning the room you stayed with us in so that we may address some of these issues to avoid other guests having a similar experience. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kingston, Ontario CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We made our reservation through Hotwire and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome! The hotel is conveniently located near the Magnificent Mile and restaurants. Staff were friendly, the room was clean and spacious and it was a nice treat to have turndown service every evening. The toiletries that were provided were plentiful and smelled great! Requests to the staff were promptly dealt with and items were delivered with a smile. Staff made sure that everything was tended to and more. Kudos to the staff!

If you are wondering why I made my rating 4 out of 5 instead of a 5, is that I have stayed at nicer hotels but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't stay here again. I would most definitely stay here again and I highly recommend to anyone going to Chicago to please book with The James. As this was our first visit to Chicago, the staff and the facility made our trip memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor. A definite bonus.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LittleMouse66,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The greatest compliment I can hear is that it was our amazing staff and their attention to service that made your experience with us memorable. I am delighted that you would stay with us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed at The James this week for the first time, for a business trip. It was an excellent experience. Quick and friendly check-in. The rooms were very unique and comfortable. An array of lighting options and seating areas. The room itself was quite large, as was the bathroom. The bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in. And it was one block off the Magnificent Mile. If you're looking for a design-friendly hotel that is actually quite reasonably priced, I highly recommend this hotel!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear netwerqq,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted that your stay was excellent, thanks to our very comfortable beds, and that you had an enjoyable experience during your business trip. Thank you again for writing, and I hope we will welcome you back the next time business or vacation returns you to Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!