“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James Chicago

You added The James Chicago to your Saves list
The James Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Andalucia, Spain
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights on the first leg of our honeymoon.

The hotel is modern and comfortable.

The staff are all friendly and helpful. The hotel had great facilities including a spa and pool, restaurant and bar and the concierge is helpful and can provide you with additional help and services. The front of house guys are terrific and helpful.

On checking in we met Julie and she immediately upgraded us to a junior suite at no cost - what a lovely surprise.

The room was large and well appointed and the bed was extremely comfortable. My wife commented that it was "like sleeping on a cloud".

In terms of location then The James is perfect, just off Michegan Ave and within walking distance of many of the main tourist attractions and several wonderful restaurants and cocktail bars. It feels very safe and is basically a perfect location to explore this fantastic city.

When we return to chicago we will stay here 100%. I couldn't fault the hotel, staff or location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Betman,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored that you chose to send your honeymoon with us and glad you enjoyed your upgraded room for the occassion. Thank you for your compliments of our location and beds, and that they were so comfortable. On behalf of all of us at The James, congratulations on your marriage and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back when your travel plans return you to Chicago!

Stephen Blackford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We only had one night in Chicago and stayed at The James. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. As we didn't have a great deal of time we didn't explore much of Chicago but did walk to Navy Pier and back, about 15 minutes each way.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Dreaming57,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our staff and that the room was comfortable for your brief stay. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again whenever your travel plans return you to Chicago!

Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great hotel, handy location. The service is particularly charming and unsnobby (like at their New York hotel). I took a look at various rooms and preferred the ones facing out onto the city rather than the ones facing internally. Our West-facing Deluxe King room was perfectly big for a couple and tastefully designed, with a little reading nook. Lovely light came in as the sun set on Chicago.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bpch,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly humbled by your compliments of our staff and the exemplary service they provided; the best compliment we can hear is how our team made your stay noteworthy. I am also delighted that you enjoyed seeing some of our rooms and our convenient location. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James the next time your travel plans return you to Chicago!

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I a frequent visitor to Chicago and have stayed in many hotels in River North area of mag mile. The James is a fine choice. Old hotel renovated well and clean. Beds on platform and visibly clean underneath. Was there only one night and they gave me comp ride to Illinois Center for Blue Line train to ORD. Lots of restaurants in area and hotel restaurants also good. Good value.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear gefrapno,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our convenient location and our complimentary house car service. Most of all, I am honored to hear that, as a frequent visitor to River North, you would stay with us again. Thank you for your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

How can I say it, my first visit to Chicago and to the James hotel was great! Their staff is awesome; each time I inquired on where to go and how to get there, they never let me down. The valet staff is very personable. So good in fact, I bought them dinner.

My connoisseur Laurelin Hefter was great, I purchased some of the world’s famous Garrett's popcorn and hard Laurelin package and mail it to me. Well when I received the package some of my popcorn was missing. Major bummer! I called Laurelin to let her know, she replaced the popcorn and shipped it with no cost to me. Yes!!!!

Customer service at its finest!!!

I would definitely recommend and stay at the James again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Travelonmyfriends,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment we can receive is to hear that it was our friendly staff that made your experience a great one, and I am proud of the service provided by our concierge and valet. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding the shipment, but glad that this was promptly remedied to your satisfaction and did not impact an overall great experience. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family and I enjoyed a lovely weekend stay at the James and were truly impressed. The staff were exceptional with their hospitality and genuine friendliness. The hotel room itself exceeded all my expectations. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, the bathroom was phenomenal, (ie: the dimmer switch) and we enjoyed a great view from our room on the sixteenth floor. The lovely lady at the concierege desk, Laurelin, was very courteous, friendly and very informative. She made sure my family and I were taken care of as well as our transportation to and from the airport. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at David Burke's restaurant. The staff were friendly, attentive and the food was excellent. Thanks to the frontline staff, Laurelin, our concierge, and the entire team at the James, we are sure to return in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Liz R,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We appreciate your generous compliments of your experience with us, and glad that you loved your room. Most of all, it is great to hear that our staff made such a wonderful impression and that their efforts will make you a returning guest. Thank you for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

santa rosa, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed at The James for a few days recently and I like the hotel very much and would definitely stay again. The location couldn't have been better. Good restaurants nearby, walkable to almost everything, great service and the restaurant was wonderful. My only complaint was a limited amount of t.v. shows to watch at night after walking around the city all day. So much to see in Chicago. A movie theater was a block away, and Starbucks and Trader Joes across the street. So happy I found this place. Rooms are small but cozy. Bed was comfortable. Lovely bath products and a big bottle of water in the room everyday. Also huge fluffy robes to wear and a little snack and ice delivered every night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear fudgebucket,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to David Burke's Primehouse, our comfortable beds, and bath robes. I apologize for any inconvenience with the television in your room and appreciate your honest feedback; this is something that we are looking to upgrade in the near future to best accommodate our guests. I am glad that despite this setback you would stay again; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Been to The James Chicago? Share your experiences!